Introduction to the Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods (FGVW) was set up in March 1996 after a public meeting held to discuss issues in Gledhow Valley. A Core Group was elected to act as a committee to keep the Friends informed of activities in the Valley. The Friends aim to...
Membership of the Friends is open to anyone interested in Gledhow Valley Woods.
- conserve and enhance Gledhow Valley Woods (GVW);
- protect the natural beauty of GVW;
- increase public awareness about GVW and reflect the concerns of the wider community;
- support other groups in the Gledhow Valley area;
- liaise with all appropriate organisations to achieve objectives;
A range of concerns have been raised...
- pollution in the Beck and Lake;
- pests - Mountain bikes, motor cyclists, dog muck, litter and rats;
- speeding cars;
- lack of woodland management;
- the need for additional seats;
- the need for more wildflowers.
The Friends have tried to deal with these issues in various ways including...
- holding regular practical events involving local people, including litter picks, path and shrub maintenance;
- involving local schools and young people in educational and practical activities such as studying wildlife of the Valley;
- maintaining pressure on Yorkshire Water to resolve pollution problems;
- working with Leeds City Council Leisure Services Department to obtain litter bins, develop grass cutting programme for wildflowers;
- undertaking active woodland management;
- Holding annual Family Fun Days (environmental theme). The year 2001 event was attended by 400 people, 100 more than the year before.
- Developing a website.
We are developing future activities including...
- producing a Management Plan;
- undertaking further active woodland management;
- arranging a more active presence in the Valley such as a Countryside Ranger;
- producing interpretative material including signboards, leaflets about the wildlife and history of the Valley;
- beginning the process of getting some crossings on Gledhow Valley Road.
For a more detailed look at some of the activities listed above, together with photos, please see the section called Examples of How the Friends are Making a Difference. For details of coming Activty Days, as well as other Friends events, please see the News & Events section, and for more pictures of what goes on during Activty Days please see the Events Gallery.