All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
13th June 2002

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Paul Ellis (Treasurer), Richard Lancaster (Secretary), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Ralph & Brenda Lancaster, Adrian Coltman, Peter Foulston, Gabrielle & Caroline Rose, Paul Gibson.

  1. Apologies
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 2nd May 2002
  3. Matters Arising
  4. New Secretary
  5. Traffic Calming
  1. Funday 18th May
  2. Action Mornings
  3. AOB
  4. Date of Next Meeting

1. Apologies

Mike Betteridge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 2nd May 2002


3. Matters Arising

3.01 Website
Adam reported that there had been an increase on site visits, which was probably due to people visiting the site after the Funday.

4. New Secretary

Richard noted that he would be unable to keep up his role as Secretary for the foreseeable future, although he hoped to come back to the Core Group once his new 'life' has settled down.
There was a general discussion on what the group needed to look at other ways of operating now Richard would be leaving Leeds City Council - points noted included:

  • Minute taking.
  • Mail-outs for minutes and Action Day posters.
  • Laminating posters.
  • Materials/resources.
  • Support on Action Days.
  • Support for Funday e.g. marquees, bird box timber, plants, etc.
  • Insurance for Group.
  • Permissions to do works.
  • Possibility that Elaine Hill would take over.

ACTION - Adrian to take minutes at next meeting and help with laminating posters.
ACTION - Brenda to contact with Denise Preston to clarify where support will come from through Parks.

5. Traffic Calming

Adrian reported that he had got some 40 responses from the Funday and most of which were positive and supportive. Now need to decide what to do next.
Noted that there had been several accidents one or two serous ones.
Brief discussion as to what to do next and the following was noted:

  • Brenda noted that the CIT may have some substantial funding for works and also small grants still available.
  • Arrange a meeting with all councillors at a time when people going to or coming back from school.
  • Put up 'notices/signs' at each end of GVRoad. Could use CIT small grant for this.
  • Put up a display in Chapel Allerton Library in July.

ACTION - Adrian to contact Brenda to help arrange Councillor meeting and look at possible CIT grant support.

6. Funday 18th May

Martin provided details of funds raised.
He noted that some £150 raised this year, but had a number of additional expenses including printing and distributing flyers; face painters; T-shirts; band.
General feeling that the day went very well, but will need more planning next year if no support from LCC.
Agreed to look at buying some gazebos and get bird box timber earlier.
Joan asked if a notice could be produced to say thank you to all those who helped.
ACTION - Richard to produce 'Thank You' poster.

7. Action Mornings

Last Action Morning on Sunday 26th May
Undertook some path work to a boggy area near the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road.
Also noted that the BTCV had constructed steps up the steep slope to the Brackenwoods and there was now an accessible route from Gledhow Lane up to Brackenwood Drive.

Next Action Morning on Sunday 29th June
Agreed to look at further path works close to the small bridge below Gledhow Lane and litter collection. Need to obtain stone and Richard would provide details of a supplier and map to help locate drop off for stone.
Meet at Gledhow Lane/Gledhow Valley Road Junction.
ACTION - Richard give details of stone supplier and map to Martin.
ACTION - Brenda to organise a skip.

Another task for a future Action Day would be to cut back beech saplings up form Gledhow Lane to Brackenwood Drive.

8. AOB

8.01 Yorkshire in Bloom
Richard noted that the organisers of this would like to visit Gledhow Valley again. This would be after July 8th and he had passed on Martin's and Joan and Mervyn's phone numbers to Richard Gill the organiser for Parks.

9. Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 18th July 2002 8pm at the 3 Hulets, Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton.

AGENDA (Provisional)

  1. Apologies
    - Richard Lancaster, Adam & Carol Bull
  2. Minutes of the meeting held on 13th June
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Management Plan
  5. Traffic Calming update
  6. Action Mornings
    - Last on Saturday 29th June
    - Next on Saturday 27th July
  7. AOB
  8. Date of next meeting (Thursday 12th September 8pm at the 3 Hulets)

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 20 Feb 2003. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)