Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
24th April 2003

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair); Mervyn and Joan Clayton; Peter Foulston; Adrian Coltman; Adam and Carol Bull; Elaine Hill; Graeme Ashton.

  1. Apologies
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 12th March 2003
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Funday 2003
  1. Woodland Improvement Grant
  2. AOB
  3. Date of Next Meeting

1. Apologies

Ralph and Brenda Lancaster, Paul Ellis, Claire Welling and Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 12th March 2003

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Traffic Calming
    Lighting work complete, Adrian to talk to Nick Hunt on progress on other aspects.
  • Water Works
    Nearing completion, with the removal of heavy plant equipment from the valley.
  • Leaking Sewer
    Has been mended and is functioning again it was a considerable task taking all day.
  • Motor Bikes
    Continue to be a nuisance in the woods - need to contact park ranger service when it occurs.
  • Last Action Morning
    30 people turned up and was a great success.
  • Board Walks
    Mervyn has purchased wood for board walks from Howarth timber.
  • Future Action Morning
    Will be on June 22nd there will be no action mornings in July and August because of the holidays.
  • Grass Cutting
    Elaine will organise a mower to cut meadow areas in September.

4. Funday 2003

Martin presented a long and very detailed update of Funday arrangements (see below). The group discussed the Funday and these were the outstanding points:

  • Question of insurance and public liability. Leeds City Council have yet to agree that the event can be classified as a LCC activity. However, our BTCV insurance does cover the Funday. (Subsequent to the meeting a letter arrived, at last confirming the Funday can be classified as a Leeds City Council event.)
  • Need to make risk assessments for various activities Elaine to do this with Graeme Ashton.
  • Adrian to laminate posters.
  • Martin is meeting with Tesco to arrange support for fun day.
  • Need to secure funding from materials fund for materials and labour costs.
  • It was agreed to have a final planning meeting on Tuesday 6th May at 8 p.m. to finalise arrangements.
  • Steve Joul and Graham Ashton to finalise woodland walks on the day.
  • After event BBQ to be arranged.

Funday Arrangements

  • Permission - Andrew Sykes, Community and Activities Liaison Officer sees no major obstacles to the event going ahead. Permission issued subject to adequate public liability insurance and LCC totally indemnified! BTCV insurance is acceptable.
  • Tents (3), Tables & Chairs - Ordered. Elaine will provide 20 extra chairs for Daftasadrum.
  • Water Heater & water - Elaine to provide.
  • Signs - Some from last year, but will need to make more for new attractions.
  • Posts, String, Groundsheets - Elaine to provide.
  • Generator & Fuel - Hewden Hire, collect Friday, return Monday; Power for water heater and music. To order on Saturday 10th May.
  • Money Collecting Boxes - Elaine to provide.
  • Advertising - Need 40 A3 posters printed for local display and volunteers to display them in suitable locations. Action: Supplied by Adam/Peter/Environment Agency. More A4 posters needed.
  • Leaflets - All A5 leaflets now printed and ready. Some need cutting. Action: delivery end April/beginning May.
  • Information Leaflets On Nest-Boxes & Meadows - Action: Penny Keech leaflet.
  • Refreshments - Joan, Debbie, volunteers and Tescos. Please get volunteers to commit to delivery to Joan, Debbie or 12.00-13.00 on the day. Action: need to asses number who will provide home-baked cakes etc. Martin visiting Tescos in the next few days.
  • FGVW Display Boards - Elaine to lend to us Displays; Adrian to organise; FGVW joining leaflets may need updating.
  • FGVW Website - Computer via Mervyn; Adam to organise and run.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Invited and OK subject to their availability.
  • Nestboxes - Wood courtesy of Elaine and we may get funding for more wood from the Materials Fund - decision in April; Mervyn and Joan to organise team. Mervyn making excellent progress with cutting of wood.
  • Plants - Plants ordered, to be collected Wednesday 14th May. Compost, stone and pots courtesy Elaine; Mervyn and Joan to organise team.
  • Music - Peter Foulston
    • Hand Bells - Confirmed for 3.00pm (£40)
    • Band from Gledhow school (The Port Brothers) - Probably available for 1.30pm (£60)
    • Band from last year - Available and coming for 2.30pm onwards.
    • Daftasadrum 2.30-3.00pm?
    • Power requirements - Port Brothers need 1 power outlet.
    • Hand Bells will need to play in tent if weather inclement.
  • Parachute Games - Action: Paul and Adrian to supply and organise.
  • T-Shirts - Gabby Rose confirmed, Action: Martin to purchase T-shirts, including larger sizes.
  • Daftasadrum - 1.30pm-3.00pm confirmed. Help needed to unload and load instruments in to and out of van. Performance at 2.30pm (£50).
  • Face Painters (2) - Rainbow (last year) confirmed and Jill Gilmour (2 years ago) confirmed.
  • Windchimes & Wishing Sticks - BTCV confirmed.
  • Circus Skills & Wishing Tree - Provided by Paula Kershaw and 3 others along with a large tent - confirmed (£100), but need to buy some materials for the Wishing Tree.
  • Treesponsibility & Knott Wood Coppicers - Confirmed (£150).
  • Minibeasts & Bats - Elaine to provide.
  • Beekeeper - David Barrett has confirmed attendance.
  • Hedgehog Sanctuary - Pennie Keech if possible dependent on Scottish Evacuation t.b.c.
  • Friends of Chappel Allerton Cemetery - Freda Copley confirmed.
  • Organisation & Allocation of Tents & Tables - Action: sub-group to organise this and event management. To be planned at Mervyn and Joan's house - date t.b.c.
  • Woodland Games/Walks - Steve Joul and Graham Ashton.
  • Dragonfly Making - Elaine.
  • Money Matters - Paul to manage.
    • Collection of monies throughout the afternoon and security thereof.
    • Provision of floats and change for Nestboxes, meadows, t-shirts, facepainters.
    • Payment of Turns.
  • Community Police - Action: Brenda to organise.
  • Kirkstall Ranger attending to make besoms.
  • Donna attending with her stall.
  • After Event Drinkies - From 5.00pm after clear up.
  • C.I.T GRANT - confirmed £195
  • Materials Fund Grant - applied for £300
  • Leisure Services Grant - applied for £300

5. Woodland Improvement Grant

Adrian will consult with people at the Funday about their views and will organise an exhibition in the library to canvas as wider views as possible.

6. AOB

  • Flower Walk on 7th May at 6.45pm. Publicity to be displayed a.s.a.p.
  • Martin has succeeded in slimming down the mailing list to approximately 60 on e-mail and 30 by letter.
  • To approach Tesco to provide benches in the wood, Martin will provide them with relevant information.
  • Sian will contact Wades Trust about possible financial support.
7. Date of Next Meeting

Next Core Group meeting will be on Thursday 29th May 2003 at 8pm in The Queens Arms, Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 27 Jul 2003. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)