All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
18th November 2004

Present: Martin Calvert, Paul Ellis, Mike Betteridge, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Sue Murray, Sian Dodderidge, Adrian Coltman, Lyn & Tim Aspland, David Heaton

  1. Apologies
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th October 2004
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Action Mornings
  5. Gledhow Conservation Area
  1. FunDay 2005
  2. Annual General Meeting (AGM)
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies

Peter Foulston, Jed Hanahoe.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th October 2004

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Photocopier
    Mervyn is still checking to see whether the donated photocopier can be fixed, but hopes are dwindling.

  • Benches
    The last 3 benches need to be put in the woods. It is proposed to put these in on Sunday 12th December.

  • Ponds Trust
    Peter has filled in the form to request help regarding future upkeep/development of Gledhow Lake from the Ponds Trust.

  • Swan Sighting
    The mute swan reported at the last meeting had not been seen recently and it is assumed the swan has now left the area.

  • Lake Boom
    The Boom to trap litter and debris at the end of the lake rose during the flooding in August and got stuck. On a related matter, Joe Smallman from Land Drainage recently investigated a blockage in an underground pipe through which water leaves the lake. Jetting didn't clear the debris so it was removed manually, and while they were there the team put the Boom back in its correct position.

  • Children's Fund
    The cheque for the money not use within the April timescale has been sent back to the Children's Fund. The Group agreed to buy the trees promised to the two schools out of its own finances.

  • Path Work
    Mervyn and Martin have spent additional time clearing and tidying up the new footpath. They have filled the remaining gaps left between the work the Group has done and that done by the BTCV.

  • Lord Mayor's Visit
    Adrian has been in contact with the Lord Mayor's office and the Lord Mayor Mr Christopher Townsley and the Lady Mayoress Mrs Margaret Townsley, of Leeds have agreed to officially open the path. The informal opening will take place at 2pm on Saturday 27th November. The meeting will start at the bottom of Gledhow Lane. Refreshments will be near the bench. Paul will contact the Yorkshire Post and organise drinks.

  • Tools Grant
    The grant received by the Group for tools will be spent next week.

  • Green Leeds Grant
    Paul and Martin have been through the invoices to check that the money spent agrees with the money received from Green Leeds. There was a problem in April as it appears one of the reports was lost by Green Leeds. The Group is still owed £309.05. Paul also raised the issue that we still have a grant that was to be used for signage. He is anxious for this to be used for its correct purpose. Adrian is going to investigate further. After taking into account the £726 grant allocated to buying tools the Group has approximately £300 in working funds left. Paul to provide details of the finances at the AGM.

4. Action Mornings

During the last Action Morning in October four tons of stone was moved to complete the new footpath.

Justin Williamson will be in the woods to discuss tree thinning and general tree management at the next Action Morning on 21st November. Justin will cover lopping and thinning skills and how to cut plants back properly.

Although there usually isn't an Action Morning in December, there will be a special Action Morning to install the last three benches.

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 21 November
Sunday 12 December (to install benches)

5. Gledhow Conservation Area

David Heaton has been heavily involved in this project and updated the Group on what has been happening. David told the Group that the prospects for making Gledhow into a Conservation Area were very good. Roudhay already has an area which has recently been revised and there is also an area at Chapel Allerton. An area has been identified at Gledhow to protect areas of significant architectural and heritage value such as Gledhow Hall, Bracken Hall and Little Switzerland. David has sent a proposal to Council Officers to cover all of Gledhow Valley. It is hoped that this proposal will be agreed and that the Council will fill in the gap to joins up the areas of Roundhay and Chapel Allerton.

There are currently some vulnerable areas in Gledhow that could be open to "unsuitable developments". It is hoped that classification as a Conservation Area would protect the area from this happening and would raise awareness of the Valley with the Council who might then focus more on the management of the land.

The Group fully support David in his work and will provide him with a paper on the key parts of Gledhow Valley Woods that need protecting.

6. FunDay 2005

The Group agreed to go ahead with a FunDay in 2005. This will take place on Saturday 21st May. Details will be discussed in the new year.

7. Annual General Meeting (AGM)

The AGM will take place on Friday 7th January 2005 at the former Police Club on Gledhow Lane. Details to be confirmed.

8. AOB

  • Yorkshire Water & Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs)
    Paul has been contacted by Yorkshire Water who are worried about public perception over the problems with sewage and the CSOs. Some of the senior managers would like to meet members of the Group to discuss matters further. Martin said that he had been in contact with Mark Jeffries at Yorkshire Water who has asked him to provide evidence that the CSOs are not working in order to build up a business case for more work. The CSOs are currently being cleaned manually once a month. Mark would like to find out if this is cost effective or if it would be better to get a mechanical cleaner put in.

  • Community Organisation Grant
    Adrian has received an application form to apply for a £500 Community Organisation Grant. It is proposed to use this grant towards the cost of the FunDay.

  • Leeds Civic Hall
    Two members of the Group have been invited to attend a "Thank You" evening at Leeds Civic Hall on 2nd December. Joan and Mervyn have been nominated to attend on behalf of the Group.

  • Phone Mast
    Work has been temporarily stopped on the mobile phone mast on Harrogate Road due to a technicality. When they dug down they hit concrete and were only able to dig 1 metre. The regulations specify that the mast needs to be sunk at least 2 metres. They tried getting around this issue by moving the location but this was not possible due to a brick wall and some cabling that was not shown on the map. The current proposal is to move the mast location 150 metres either side. The Group is keeping a watch on developments, although this issue is not strictly within the Group's area of concern.

  • Bonfire Problems
    An unofficial bonfire and firework party was held by persons unknown on the field where the FunDay takes place. The Group has been contacted by Leeds City Council for information, but confirmed that they had no involvement whatsoever and are not aware who arranged the event. The Council is concerned as a lot of debris was left on the field and some damage was done to the grass.

  • Traffic Calming
    Work has started on the Allerton Grange Way junction. The tree cutting along the road has not yet started.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sunday 21 November 2004.
  • Grand Footpath Opening - Saturday 27 November 2004.
  • Core Group Meeting - Thursday 9 December 2004 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 12 December 2004 (to install benches).
  • Annual General Meeting (AGM) - Friday 7th January 2005 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 25 Nov 2004. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)