All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th February 2005

Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Peter Foulston, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th December 2004
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Action Mornings
  1. FunDay 2005
  2. AOB
  3. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Mike Betteridge, Brenda Lancaster, Iris Abbis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th December 2004

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Leeds City Council
    Adrian confirmed that the Leeds City Council small grant application has been sent in.

  • Traffic Calming
    Work is ongoing at the Allerton Grange Way junction. Adrian has been in contact by e-mail. The speed bumps and speed restrictions will be done once the current work is completed. This is likely to be later on in the year as there are only two people working on the project.

  • Picture of Change Competition
    The Group were unsuccessful in the Picture of Change competition.

  • Tree Felling
    16 trees have been felled along Gledhow Valley Road by the Council due to extensive decay.

4. Action Mornings

The last Action Morning on Thursday 17th February was a big success with over 30 volunteers and 2 Rangers attending.

Next action Morning will be on Saturday 19th February. It was planned to do some brush cutting however the new equipment is faulty so this will depend on if it can be fixed in time. It is also planned to use some of the wood chippings on the steps, and to clear the brambles in the pastures. A skip has been ordered.

Next Action Mornings

Saturday 19th February
Sunday 13th March

5. FunDay 2005

Progress report:

  • Time & Duration - Sat 14th May 2005, 1.30pm to 5.00pm.
  • Permission from LCC - Martin Calvert. Permission has been granted subject to Steve Joul doing risk assessments.
  • Budget - Paul Ellis.
  • Funding - Martin Calvert. Has applied for £500 from Learning and Leisure.
  • Gazebos - We have 3 large gazebos. Graeme Ashton has one we may be able to borrow. Need to buy one more - they are currently on offer at Makro this month at £50 plus vat.
  • Tables (20) & chairs (100) - Still to be investigated.
  • Elaine Hill - OK to assist.
  • John Casey - Martin Calvert. Waiting for call back confirming permission to use the field.
  • Police Adrian Coltman to inform and request presence on the day. Adrian e-mailed Brenda Lancaster to ask her to help with this. Hopefully PCSO's will be present at least.
  • P.A. System - Peter Foulston to arrange.
  • Refreshments - Martin Calvert, Debbie, Joan Clayton. Martin has written to Tesco. It is vital that as many people as possible are encouraged to provide baking.
  • Raffle - Adam & Carol Bull.
  • Programme of Events - Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Adam Bull.
  • Turns & Time Allocation - Peter Foulston (Daftasadrum, Peace Artistes, Urban Circus).
  • Daftasadrum - Confirmed.
  • Peace Artistes - Hopeful.
  • Urban Circus - No word as yet.
  • Circus Skills & Tent - Martin Calvert. They have agreed to attend subject to agreement of charge.
  • Face Painters - Martin Calvert still to contact.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Adrian Coltman.
  • Nestboxes - Mervyn & Joan Clayton. Wood order is in. No funding obtained as yet.
  • Meadows in a Pot - Joan Clayton & Gladys.
  • Parachute Games - John Farley. John is OK to attend.
  • Wildlife Tent & Bug Hunt - Martin Calvert. Beekeeper is OK to attend. Pennie Keech only a maybe, with animals less likely. Elaine Hill is OK to attend.
  • T-Shirts - E-mailed Gabby & Caroline Rose. Blank t-Shirts still to purchase.
  • Besom Brooms - Jack Foster is unlikely to be able to attend.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Have been invited.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian Coltman.
  • Forestry Display - Mervyn Clayton to contact relevant people.
  • Car Parking/Stewarding - The police have been informed by Brenda Lancaster.
  • Money Collection/Payments - Paul Ellis.
  • Setting-up & Dismantling - Everybody to help set up from 7.30am onwards.
  • Publicity Leaflets & Posters - Adam Bull to design. A5 flyers are now with Joan for copying. Peter to print posters as per last year?
  • Leaflet Distribution - Joan Clayton to co-ordinate.
  • Poster Distribution - Everybody to assist!
  • New Events - Elaine Hill is investigating birds of prey.
  • Archive Photos Display - To be investigated.
  • Roping off Arenas - Peter Foulston to co-ordinate.
  • Risk Assessment/Safety/Fire Precautions - Need to contact Steve Joul.

6. AOB

  • Pastures
    The Group was asked by some local residents to clear the pastures of rubbish and overgrown bushes. This was done some time ago however since then some complaints have been received from residents claiming this could have contributed to an increase in burglaries in the area. Although there is no evidence to support this the Group decided not to do any future work in this area.

  • Kerb Stones
    The Group asked the Council to remove the Kerb Stones left in the grassland area during the traffic calming works as bulbs had been planted there last year. The Council removed the stones using a large digger - scooping up the ground in the process, so it is unlikely that any bulbs have survived.

  • Kingfishers
    A pair of kingfishers have been spotted on several occasions near the lake.

  • Lake Overflowing
    The lake is currently overflowing. Ground Drainage has been to clear the drains in the area as they think there may be a blockage. The lake usually only overflows after heavy rainfall over a prolonged period.

  • Action Morning
    Donna is now authorised to advise the Group on what to do if children attend the Action Mornings. We need to add a disclaimer on Duty of Care so that it is clear that adults who bring children are responsible for them.

  • Bath House
    Lynda Kitching, Vice Chairman of the Leeds Civic Trust has written to the Group to state that the Bath House could be added to the Heritage Open Days this year. The Group would need to clean up the Bath House and may also need to arrange a walk in the woods. The Heritage Open Days will run from Thursday 8th September to Sunday 11th September inclusive. Volunteers are welcome to help support this venture.

  • Hepatitis
    A local GP has expressed concern over the lack of precautions being taken by the Group regarding the risk of infection whilst working in the woods. She has advised members to speak to their GP about Tetanus and Hepatitis B injections.

  • Rats
    The amount of rats has increased in the woods again. The `ratman' is to be contacted.

  • Yorkshire Gardens Trust
    Martin Lynch has been in contact with Paul. He thinks that some parts of the Trust may be relevant to the Group and some grants may be applicable to the work we do.

  • FGVW Web Site
    Adam asked the Group is he could have £30 to license some utility software for use on the web site, and this was agreed.

7. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Saturday 19 February 2005.
  • Core Group Meeting - Thursday 10 March 2005 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 13 March 2005.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 17 Mar 2005. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)