All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
10th March 2005

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Peter Foulston, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Sian Dodderidge.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 17th February 2005
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Action Mornings
  1. FunDay 2005
  2. AOB
  3. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence


2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 17th February 2005

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Leeds City Council
    Adrian confirmed that the Leeds City Council Small Grant application has been agreed and the Group has received £500. £350 of this is to be used for specific web site development projects.

  • Traffic Calming
    Work is ongoing.

  • Tree Cutting
    The Trees were due to be cut back to improve the light on Gledhow Valley Road but this has not been done. The Group has been in contact with Justin to see when this will be done.

  • Drainage Covers
    John Casey has put some large boulders over the drainage covers to try and prevent the area from being drained. The Group feel that this area does not need draining.

  • Ponds Trust
    A representative from the Ponds Trust was unable to attend tonight's meeting due to other commitments.

4. Action Mornings

The last Action Morning on 9th February had a poor turn out of just 14 people. Bark chippings were put on the path and steps near the lake and Gledhow Lane.

The next Action Morning will be on Sunday 13th March The faulty brush cutter has been replaced and it is hoped that this can be used.

After that, the next Action Morning will be Sunday 17th April. The Group is hoping to cut back the rhodedendrums near the concrete footbridge. Please meet at the small footbridge near the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Park Road.

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 13th March
Sunday 17th April

5. FunDay 2005

Progress report:

  • Time & Duration - Sat 14th May 2005, 1.30pm to 5.00pm.
  • Permission from LCC - Martin Calvert. Permission has been granted subject to Steve Joul doing risk assessments.
  • Budget - Paul Ellis.
  • Funding - Martin Calvert. Has applied for £500 from Learning and Leisure.
  • Gazebos - We have 4 large gazebos. Graeme Ashton has one we may be able to borrow.
  • Tables (20) & chairs (60) - Martin Calvert suggested hiring from Curlew Marquees, cost £220. Group discussed alternatives such as buying some plastic garden chairs instead. Still under investigation.
  • Elaine Hill - OK to assist.
  • John Casey - Martin Calvert has informed John and is awaiting official confirmation.
  • Police - To inform and request presence on the day. Adrian e-mailed Brenda Lancaster to ask her to help with this. Hopefully PCSO's will be present at least.
  • P.A. System - Peter Foulston to arrange.
  • Refreshments - Martin Calvert, Debbie, Joan Clayton. Martin has written to Tesco. It is vital that as many people as possible are encouraged to provide baking.
  • Raffle - Adam & Carol Bull, with Mike Betteridge helping on the day.
  • Programme of Events - Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Adam Bull to produce final version for printing, including any sponsers of the event on the back.
  • Turns & Time Allocation - Peter Foulston (Daftasadrum, Peace Artistes, Urban Circus).
  • Daftasadrum - Confirmed.
  • Peace Artistes - Hopeful!
  • Urban Circus - Available 1.30pm to 3pm only.
  • Circus Skills & Tent - Martin Calvert. They have agreed to attend subject to agreement of charge.
  • Face Painters - Martin Calvert has booked 2 face painters.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Adrian Coltman.
  • Nestboxes - Mervyn & Joan Clayton. Wood has arrived. No funding obtained as yet.
  • Meadows in a Pot - Joan Clayton & Gladys.
  • Parachute Games - John Farley. John is OK to attend.
  • Wildlife Tent & Bug Hunt - Martin Calvert. Beekeeper is OK to attend. Pennie Keech only a maybe, with animals less likely. Elaine Hill is OK to attend. Owls still a possibility.
  • T-Shirts - E-mailed Gabby & Caroline Rose. Blank t-Shirts purchased. New fabric pens need to be purchased.
  • Besom Brooms - Jack Foster is unlikely to be able to attend.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Have been invited.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian Coltman.
  • Forestry Display - Mervyn Clayton to contact relevant people including Justin.
  • Car Parking/Stewarding - The police have been informed by Brenda Lancaster.
  • Money Collection/Payments - Paul Ellis.
  • Setting-up & Dismantling - Everybody to help set up from 7.30am onwards.
  • Publicity Leaflets & Posters - Adam Bull to design. A5 flyers are now with Joan for copying. Peter to print posters as per last year. Adam to send a poster to Peter for printing.
  • Leaflet Distribution - Joan Clayton to co-ordinate.
  • Poster Distribution - Everybody to assist!
  • New Events - Elaine Hill is investigating birds of prey.
  • Archive Photos Display - To be investigated.
  • Roping off Arenas - Peter Foulston to co-ordinate.
  • Risk Assessment/Safety/Fire Precautions - Need to contact Steve Joul.
  • Postcards/Cards/etc. - Adam Bull to design/draw and come up with some ideas for merchandising such as postcards, bookmarks, cards etc. using photos and possibly Donna's drawings of the woods.

6. AOB

  • NEAT Scheme
    Martin has received details on this scheme which is a program to support community groups at no cost. The scheme will provide free training with a trial session at Adrian Coltman's house on 2nd April from 2pm to 4pm. Members are welcome to attend (please contact us if you would like more details).

  • Gledhow Beck
    The bank along the stream heading towards Bracken Woods is being undercut at the point were the stream narrows. Martin Calvert is to ask Joe Smallman for some guidance on how to tackle this problem. This work may involve widening the stream or adding rock baskets. Any work necessary will be completed in the summer when the water levels are low.

  • Ponds Trust
    Peter is going to contact Hugh from the Ponds Trust to arrange a special meeting at his convenience as it has been difficult for him to attend normal meetings due to other commitments.

  • Hazardous Hole
    Joan raised the awareness of a hole near the small bridge which has appeared since the flooding. Water is oozing out of the hole and is about 4ft deep. The Group will investigate to see what it is and if it is dangerous before deciding what action to take.

  • Grants
    Adrian is going to look into other grants which may be available. He will also contact B&Q who donate unsaleable goods to local charities and voluntary groups.

  • Community Forums
    There is a Community Chapel Allerton Village Forum meeting on Thursday 17th March at 6.30pm at St Matthews. Everyone welcome.

  • PCSO's
    The local PCSO's have issued warnings to some of the kids that have been using motorbikes in the woods.

7. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sunday 13 March 2005.
  • Core Group Meeting - Thursday 14 April 2005 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 17 April 2005.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 02 May 2005. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)