All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
14th April 2005

Present: Peter Foulston (Acting Chair), Adrian Coltman, Paul Ellis, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th March 2005
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Action Mornings
  1. FunDay 2005
  2. AOB
  3. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Dorothy Carter, Iris Abis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th March 2005

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Lake Drainage & Other Water Issues
    Mervyn, Joan, Elaine and Martin had a site meeting with Joe Smallman regarding silt traps and the lake. Damage has been caused to the sluice gate with a hacksaw by a member of the public. Damage has also been caused to the main drainage points despite them being locked. This has caused the lake to drain away. The police are investigated the damage. The Council is also working with the police and is looking into repairing the damage which is over a thousand pounds. The lake drainage has also altered the local wildlife habitat and behaviour. The group also asked Joe Smallman for advice about the silt traps. The Group was informed that Parks and Countryside would sort these out and the group need not get involved.
    A pot hole was also pointed out to Joe near the small bridge. This will be looked into to see how it was caused and if it is a potential hazard.
    Joe also looked into flood avoidance issues and sewage. He is concerned about the sewage grid and believes this needs to be altered to a square grid so that sewage will be stopped but water can go over the top.
    The Group also pointed out part of the stream that is undercutting the bank. The Group has permission to try and resolve the issue by using large rocks, a barrier fastened to the side of the bank or gabions. The Group is to consult with Elaine for the best course of action.
    Some work also needs to be done where the two streams meet up. A lot of rock has fallen into the stream and the work done by previous community volunteers has been damaged.
    The meeting was very productive and positive and the group has invited Joe and his team to the FunDay.

  • Ponds Trust
    Peter was going to organise a separate meeting with the Ponds Trust however due to the damage to the lake and the FunDay this has been postponed.

  • Pam Burkill
    The Group was very sad to hear of the death of Pam Burkill. Pam was a member of the Group and attended Action Mornings and litter picks. She will be sadly missed by the Group.

  • Friends of Potternewton Park
    Friends of Potternewton Park are having their annual Fun Day on 2nd May. They have asked if the Group would like a stall to advertise their work. The Group declined due to other commitments.

  • NEAT Scheme
    The first meeting was held at Adrian's house. This scheme takes a look at prescribed areas and assesses them for things such as litter, graffiti, fly tipping etc. They want to get community groups involved as part of a larger Government initiative. The presentation given to the Group was geared towards inner city, urban street areas. No attempt was made to tailor the presentation towards the Group's interests of woodland, and environmental issues. The Scheme is being piloted in 2 or 3 areas of Leeds. The Group discussed if it would be worthwhile to be part of the pilot. The Group felt that it would have been useful when the Group first started but didn't think there was much to gain now that the Group is well established. Questions were raised as to the political benefits that may be gained from joining the pilot.
    The group expressed some concerns about joining the NEAT Scheme and the ramifications of doing so. They felt that there were more important issues to concentrate on. They also felt that the people who did the presentation would not themselves be willing to join in and help. The Group decided not to join the Scheme subject to discussions with Brenda Lancaster.

  • Bath House Open Day
    Adrian has looked through the Civic Trust Open Day pack. The Open Days run from 8th to 11th September inclusive. The Group has decided to help open the Bath House on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th September from 2pm to 4pm. Adrian asked for volunteers to help him over the two days. The Group intend to provide information on the history of the Bath House and use the opportunity to promote the Group's activities. Display boards and a table will be needed. We may also need an Action Morning beforehand to tidy up around the Bath House and to see if a fire can be lit etc. Elaine is arranging for a diver to clear the bath itself. Adrian agreed to send the necessary forms off to the Civic Trust so that the Bath House can be included in the Open Days.

  • Norwich Union Staff Community Award
    The Group has received a cheque for £300 from Norwich Union under their Community Award Scheme, following an application by Carol Bull. This will be used towards funding the FunDay.

  • FGVW Merchandise
    A pilot scheme is being run at the FunDay in May. Adam has been looking at ways the Group can raise funds through FGVW merchandising. Examples, of postcard packs, badges and rulers were presented to the Group for discussion. The postcard sets consisted of pictures of the woods, drawings and paintings by a local artists. The Group agreed to try and sell these at the FunDay and also by adding a shop page to the web site. The Group agreed to pay for 30 of each set of the postcards, 100 badges (25 of each design) and 30 rulers. Joan also suggested producing an order form.

4. Action Mornings

The last Action Morning was on 13th March and the group were able to successfully try out their new brush cutter.

The next Action Morning will be on Sunday 17th April. The Group is hoping to cut back the rhodedendrums near the concrete footbridge. Need to check for nesting birds first. There will be no skip.

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 17th April
Sunday 19th June

5. FunDay 2005

Progress report:

  • Time & Duration - Sat 14th May 2005, 1.30pm to 5.00pm.
  • Permission from LCC - Martin Calvert. Permission has been granted subject to Steve Joul doing risk assessments in conjunction with Elaine Hill.
  • Budget - Paul Ellis. £943.60 expenditure committed. £850 coming in through various grants.
  • Funding - Martin Calvert. Has applied for £500 from Learning and Leisure. Received a letter on 14th April from local councillors regarding the Area Committee. We can't apply retrospectively so will need to write to councillors individually for mice money. Can't apply to Area Committee for 2005-2006 year for funding of tables, chairs and a toilet. Cost of tables and chairs about £192. A toilet is £100. The Group decided to save £100 and not have a toilet. Also agreed to use the Norwich Union Staff Award Scheme grant for the Fun Day.
  • Gazebos - We have 4 large gazebos. Graeme Ashton has one we may be able to borrow. The Scouts tent may be available. We have 4 small gazebos.
  • Tables (20) & chairs (60) - Martin Calvert hiring from Curlew Marquees, cost £192.
  • Elaine Hill - OK to assist.
  • John Casey - Martin Calvert has contacted John who will provide fire extinguishers and organise grass cutting.
  • Police - To inform and request presence on the day. Adrian e-mailed Brenda Lancaster to ask her to help with this. Hopefully PCSO's will be present at least.
  • P.A. System - Peter Foulston to arrange.
  • Refreshments - Martin Calvert, Debbie, Joan Clayton. Martin has written to Tesco. Not received a reply but visited the store and indications positive for support. It is vital that as many people as possible are encouraged to provide baking.
  • Raffle - Adam & Carol Bull, with Mike Betteridge helping on the day. Adam has been contacting local businesses and so far has received 14 raffle prizes.
  • Programme of Events - Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Adam Bull to produce final version for printing, including any sponsers of the event on the back. Need to arrange printing. This will be discussed at a planning meeting on Thursday 5th May at the Police Club.
  • Turns & Time Allocation - Peter Foulston (Daftasadrum, Peace Artistes, Urban Circus).
  • Daftasadrum - Confirmed.
  • Peace Artistes - Confirmed.
  • Urban Circus - Available 1.30pm to 3pm only.
  • Circus Skills & Tent - Martin Calvert. They have agreed to attend similar to last year. Possible puppet workshop/ethical puppet show.
  • Face Painters - Martin Calvert has booked 2 face painters.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Adrian Coltman.
  • Nestboxes - Mervyn & Joan Clayton. Wood has arrived and been cut. To be stored courtesy of Steve Bardsley. The Group gratefully received a donation of £50 from a long standing Friend of Gledhow Valley Woods. Many thanks.
  • Meadows in a Pot - Joan Clayton & Gladys. Home grown plants courtesy of Gladys. Elaine has pots and stone. Need to know how much to reimburse Gladys and to purchase compost.
  • Parachute Games - John Farley. John is OK to attend.
  • Wildlife Tent & Bug Hunt - Martin Calvert. Beekeeper is OK to attend. Pennie Keech only a maybe, with animals less likely. Elaine Hill is OK to attend. Owls still a possibility.
  • T-Shirts - E-mailed Gabby & Caroline Rose. Blank t-Shirts purchased. New fabric pens purchased.
  • Besom Brooms - Jack Foster will be unable to attend.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Have confirmed attendance.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian Coltman.
  • Forestry Display - Justin attending with 20m x 20m marquee with various displays including chain saw sculpture!
  • FGVW Merchandising - Adam to launch at the FunDay with Donna assisting.
  • Car Parking/Stewarding - The police have been informed by Brenda Lancaster.
  • Money Collection/Payments - Paul Ellis.
  • Setting-up & Dismantling - Everybody to help set up from 8.00am onwards.
  • Publicity Leaflets & Posters - Adam Bull has designed. A5 flyers have been done. 4,000 have been printed. Peter to print posters as per last year. Adam has sent a poster to Peter for printing. To be displayed from 1st May.
  • Leaflet Distribution - Joan Clayton allocated a block of streets to various group members. Martin has not seen Bob yet to distribute 1,500 leaflets in the Chapel Allerton area. Schools have priority: Kerr Mackie - Fiona? Gledhow - Martin, St Matthews - anybody?
  • Poster Distribution - Everybody to assist! Any good local locations.
  • New Events - Elaine Hill is investigating birds of prey.
  • Archive Photos Display - Adrian to contact Robin Dove.
  • Roping off Arenas - Peter Foulston to co-ordinate.
  • Risk Assessment/Safety/Fire Precautions - Steve Joul and Elaine.
  • Fire Extinguishers - John Casey
  • Allocation of Volunteers - Please compile a list of helpers for the day. Graeme Ashton has volunteered his services. Gabby and Caroline attending. Donna to sell FGVW merchandise. Need a list of names for the planning meeting.

6. AOB

  • Dry Stone Walling
    Elaine is having a dry stone wall open day 2.00-4.30pm at Meanwood near the Myrtle Pub and the Cricket Ground.

  • Leeds Walking Festival
    Richard, a former member of the Group, is involved in `Walking Way to Health'. This is due to take place Saturday 2nd July to Sunday 10th July inclusive. The group agreed to take part and combine this with an action morning provisionally booked for 10th July. Adrian will contact Richard.

7. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sunday 17 April 2005.
  • FunDay Planning Meeting - Thursday 5 May 2005 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Core Group Meeting - Thursday 16 June 2005 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 19 June 2005.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 22 Jun 2005. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)