All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
27th October 2005

Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Paul Ellis, Mike Betteridge.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 22nd September 2005
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Annual General Meeting
  1. Grants
  2. Scrutiny Board
  3. Business in the Community
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 22nd September 2005

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Open Gardens Day Donation
    The Group received a donation of £25 from the Open Gardens Day that took place in June around Gledhow Park Road.

  • Tree Cutting
    Martin has informed the Tree Felling Department over some bad tree cutting on the private land in the woods.

  • Ponds Trust
    Peter has arranged for the Ponds Trust to visit. Further details on this to follow at a later date.

  • Parks and Countryside Grant
    Adrian hasn't received any further information yet from Leeds County Council regarding the Parks and Countryside Grant.

  • Testing the Bath House Water
    Paul is still looking into testing the water in the Bath House.

4. Correspondence

  • Leeds Voice has contacted the Group. There is a meeting on Tuesday 1st November at 7.15pm at the Civic Hall. There is a lecture on Urban Forestry which members of the Group are welcome to attend if interested.
  • Leeds City Council has written to the Group with a list of grants currently available. Not many of them apply to the Group except possible the New Lottery Funding Grant. Adrian to complete an application.
  • The Group has received an invitation to a 'Thank You Evening' from Brenda Lancaster. The invitation is for 2 members to attend on 29th November at 6pm to 8.30pm at the Civic Hall. There is also an option to show case work done by the Group. Joan and Mervyn Clayton have volunteered to go.

5. Action Mornings

Only a small number attended the Action Morning at the Start of October, during which a net was put over the bath in the Bath House to prevent leaves falling in.

The extra Action Morning on the 15th October was very well attended, however, and a great deal of litter and debris was cleared form the woods.

Mike asked if the Group could contact Curt (who has a chipping machine) to ask if he could attend October's Action Morning. There is a lot to be 'chipped'!

Next Action Mornings

Saturday 29th October
Sunday 27th November 2005
Sunday 8th January 2006

6. FGVW Annual General Meeting

The Group agreed to have the AGM on Friday 6th January 2006 at Joan and Mervyn Clayton's house.

7. Grants

Adrian has applied for various grants following the sub-group meeting regarding grants.

8. Scrutiny Board

Martin attended the Board meeting on 28th September on behalf of the Group and raised issues regarding lack of maintenance, water levels and sewage etc.

9. Business in the Community

The date for work on the Gabions is still to be agreed. The Group are waiting for the Environmental Authority's approval before arranging for the work to be done by the Business in the Community people. This could take up to 2 months. Some ground clearing and taking out and tidying up of the Rhododendruns was completed by the Business in the Community Group. The Group are very pleased with the excellent work they did and would like to invite them back to do more work if possible.

10. Any Other Business

  • Christmas Cards
    Christmas Card sales have been slow since the Heritage Open Day. Adam has contacted Radish, who may be interested, but not until nearer Christmas. Dorothy has agreed to try and sell some at the local church Christmas Fayre.

  • New Development?
    Joan informed the Group that a notice board had been put up concerning some development work near to the old car park area. The Group are continuing to look for any planning signs or development.

  • Water Levels in the Lake
    Joan and Mervyn raised concerns over the water levels in the lake over the past week. At one stage the lake was overflowing; a drain had been forced up by the water and was overflowing but the CSO was working OK. By the 27th the water levels had reduced substantially so Joan contacted Joe Smallman to find out more information.
    Allegedly someone had deliberately blocked the drains so that the lake was overflowing. This was potentially hazardous as it could have led to flooding in the valley and surrounding homes. The Council removed the blockage but also had to drain the lake to get at the machinery to remove the obstruction in the drain. Joe stated that the lake should fill up again to normal level.
    It is believed that the Council (Learning Leisure) and the local police are aware of the person who is continually causing damage to the lake and deliberately altering the water levels. The Group is frustrated that nothing is being done to stop him and concerned that he could cause floods that will damage local residents property.
    Mervyn suggested that the Group make a list of all the damage that has been done, the consequences and the cost of repairs by the Council, which is running into thousands and then visit the surrounding houses to make local residents aware.
    Joan agreed to contact Avril, a local resident who was a victim of flooding earlier in the year and who was asked to give her story at the last Scrutiny Board meeting for an update.
    Adrian suggested asking the Community Constables to speak to the Group about what they are doing to stop this person.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Saturday 29th October 2005.
  • Core Group Meeting - Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 27th November 2005.
  • Annual General Meeting - Friday 6th January 2006, 8pm at Joan & Mervyn's house.
  • Action Morning - Sunday 8th January 2006.

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 29 Nov 2005. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)