< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
9th February 2006
Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Paul Ellis, Adrian Coltman.
1. Apologies for Absence
Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Sian Dodderidge, Peter Foulston.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 23rd November 2005
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Green Footprints
Andy Brown attended a Green Footprints meeting.
- St John's Ambulance Bill
Martin has contacted St John's concerning the bill for last year's FunDay, which they never got around to sending. St John's will be sorting it out. They have agreed to come to this year's FunDay, possibly to do a demonstration which will mean no fee being charged.
Peter hasn't yet contacted the Environment Agency to find out who is in contact with Morrisons regarding the gabions. This needs to be chased as the path is rapidly disintegrating into the beck.
- The Group has received details of Voluntary Action Leeds. This provides posters and details of fund raising opportunities, and costs £25 p.a. to join.
- Green Space Leeds is holding a seminar on 8th March on 'How to Raise Funds'.
- Martin has received the minutes for the last meeting held at the Chapel Allerton Village Forum is anyone is interested. The next meeting is on Wednesday 14th June at 6.30pm at St Matthews Primary School.
5. Action Mornings
The next Action Morning is Saturday 11th February. The Group plan to use the strimmer on the meadow and cut back the brambles in the meadow and near the lake.
Action Morning Attendance Plan
The Group agreed it would be easier to promote the Action Mornings if a full programme of future dates were arranged. This has now been done.
Adam has looked into printing FGVW information leaflets on recycled paper. Adam designed a leaflet for comments and Paul asked if the details concerning FGVW could fill one leaflet panel and the web site details and merchandise on another panel. Martin suggested making the alterations and getting some printed in time for the FunDay and the Bath House Open Days. It was also suggested to add a flyer to the leaflets advertising upcoming Action Morning dates. Adrian also agreed to look into advertising Action Morning dates in a local Chapel Allerton newspaper.
The Group discussed ways of making the posters advertising the action mornings more visible. Adam suggested removing the posters straight after the action morning so that people didn't get used to their being a poster there all the time. It was also suggested making the lettering larger to grab peoples' attention.
Action Morning Activities Plan
The Group discussed what activities should be done at future Action Mornings and decide what people would like to do each month. Future ideas included working on the path near the bench with the nettles as it is getting muddy and slippery, to keep the paths in good order and do general maintenance on them, clear the vegetation along the side of the paths and also work on the path that the school children use towards Bracken Woods. The Group decided to plan the June Action Morning so that it can be advertised at the FunDay. Work on the footpath was proposed.
Next Action Mornings
Saturday 11th February 2006
Sunday 12th March 2006
Sunday 7th May 2006
Sunday 25th June 2006
Saturday 22nd July 2006
6. Grants Sub-Committee
Adrian has been working on completing grant application forms. He needs a copy of bank statements and the constitution to complete the Area Committee Grant. The grant is needed to help fund the FunDay.
Adrian also suggested getting several quotes for various possible future jobs so they would be to hand when completing grant application forms. Adrian agreed to speak to the BTCV to get quotes for path work and repairing the jetty. He also agreed to ask Joan and Mervyn for help with the possibility of setting up a Grants Sub-Committee. If anyone is interested in joining please contact Martin.
7. FunDay 2006
Martin has called Andrew Sykes to chase a reply from the Council for agreement to run the FunDay. This is needed for the public liability insurance.
Members of the Group need to contact various people and get their commitment to attend the FunDay. These include:
- Elaine has agreed to attend.
- John Casey has been informed.
- Refreshments - Martin agreed to contact Somerfield for refreshment support.
- T-Shirt Painting - Peter has found Fair Trade T-Shits for sale at £5. The Group agreed that although Fair Trade T-Shits would be preferred this price is too high compared at Tesco's at £1. Martin to ask Tesco's about their manufacturing practices, which it is believed may be perfectly acceptable anyway. Volunteers from the Dentist have agreed to man the stall.
- Owl Demonstration - Adrian has arranged to see someone who is doing a demonstration at the school. Also, Penny Keech is unable to attend this year but has recommended someone else she knows. Martin to contact them in March as they are in the process of moving premises.
- Bands - The Foxwood Steel Band was too expensive but they recommended the East Steel band. Joan & Mervyn to contact them.
- Leeds Morris Men - are unable to attend.
- Urban Circus - We will try to book again, Peter unable to get in contact with him as yet (although this is not unusual).
- Firefighters - Joan and Mervyn will try to book again.
- Face Painters - 2 have been booked but we may look for a 3rd.
- Bird Boxes - Mervyn agreed to order the wood and to investigate other ideas such as hedgehog boxes.
- Beekeeper - Martin has written to him and is waiting to hear if he can attend.
- Woodcraft Folk - have agreed to attend.
- Clay Modelling - Volunteers needed.
- Meadows in a Pot - Gladys has already planting some wildflower seeds. She is also looking into selling plants on the day. She has been checking the price of plants and may do some hanging baskets. She is also looking for volunteers to grow plants from seeds and cuttings to help out. Carol is growing some plants to help.
- Forestry People - have agreed to come along with the Chainsaw people.
- Chainsaw Sculpture - The Group agreed to run an auction at the end of the FunDay to auction off the wooden articles.
- Raffle - Adam agreed to run the raffle again and contact local businesses regarding raffle prizes. Chris from the Surgery has volunteered to help with the Raffle.
- FGVW Display - The Group agreed that we did not advertise enough and will work on a better display and prominence at the next FunDay.
- Wooden Tree - Donna sent a suggestion to provide a wooden tree which she could add stuffed animals on for the children.
- Puppeteer - Martin has been in contact with them and they suggested doing a puppet workshop. Martin to obtain further details.
- Local History & Geneology - Robin Dove has agreed to attend.
- Hunt the Duck - Adam agreed to do a Hunt the Duck game as it was very popular at the Chapel Allerton Festival.
- Airedale/Park Lane College - Joan and Mervyn chasing up.
- Tables & Chairs - Martin agreed to order chairs and tables.
- PA - Martin agreed to ask Peter about a PA.
- Parachute Games - Martin agreed to sort out the parachute game.
- Toilets - The Group agreed that there would be no toilets.
The Group discussed display boards. The Group hope to borrow some from Elaine but also look into buying their own. www.spotonprint.com was also suggested. Adam has already done some research on this so will pass it to Adrian and discuss with Joan and Mervyn to make a decision.
The Group decided to print 5,000 flyers. Joan to ask Elaine how many she can do. Adrian agreed to do 500 A4 sheets, Paul agreed to do 500 A4 sheets. Joan to ask Phil if he can guillotine them. The Group agreed to distribute them.
Adrian suggested a "children's play area" with hoops and ropes etc which he may be able to supply.
8. Any Other Business
- Stolen Property
Andy Brown found some stolen luggage in the woods. He returned it to the owner and invited him to our Fun Day.
Joan & Mervyn Clayton also found some stolen property in the woods and returned it to the Posthouse.
- Testing the Bath House Water
Paul aked Hazel if she could test the Bath House water, however this is not something she is able to do so the Group need to contact the Environmental Agency.
- Mailing List
Paul asked if the mailing list could be checked as Malcolm Lynch was no longer receiving FGVW details. Adam agreed to check the e-mail list.
- FGVW Christmas Cards
The Group agreed to produce Christmas cards again this year. We need some more photos though. Paul suggested putting an appeal on the web site or doing a photo competition.
9. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sat 11th Feb 2006
- Core Group Meeting - Thur 9th Mar 2006, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
- Action Morning - Sun 12th Mar 2006
- Action Morning - Sat 11th Feb 2006
- Action Morning - Sun 7th May
- Action Morning - Sun 25th June 2006
- Action Morning - Sat 22nd July 2006