All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
4th May 2006

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Paul Ellis, Adrian Coltman, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Peter Foulston, Mike Betteridge

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th April 2006
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. New FGVW Cards
  7. Footpath Diversion
  1. Grants Sub-Committee
  2. FunDay 2006
  3. BBC Programme
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th April 2006

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Gabions
    The gabion work will take place in July after the Crayfish mating season ends. Permission for the work has been granted but work needs to be done on diverting the path before the work is carried out. This is planned for Wednesday and the Action Morning on Sunday.

  • Chapel Allerton Monthly Pocket Book
    The Group had arranged for an article advertising the FunDay to be printed in the Chapel Allerton Monthly Pocket Book. However, the guide is not due to be distributed until the 22nd May, which is 2 days after the FunDay, therefore this will not be going ahead anymore.

4. Correspondence

  • Andy Brown sent the Group various cuttings and leaflets that he thought may be of interest to the members.
  • The Army has sent details of an Army Presentation followed by an open forum that will take place at the Royal Armouries on 15th June. Please contact Martin if you require further details.

5. Action Mornings

The next Action Morning is Sunday 7th May. 8 tons of stone and 45 square meters of matting will be delivered to work on path maintenance. Elaine has agreed to deliver some extra wheelbarrows before the Action Morning.

The Group agreed that it was important to organise the Action Morning for June in advance so that it could be published at the FunDay. It was decided that the Group needed to plan something exciting that the majority of people would be interested in doing in order to keep the interest going and attract more volunteers following the FunDay.

The date of the Action Morning was moved from 25th June to 18th June so that the majority of Core Group Members could attend. The Group decided to ask Elaine about Bog Planting and if this would be possible to do at the Action Morning as well as path clearing. Volunteers to meet by the bench opposite the horses field. The FGVW green banner will be displayed about 100 yards from Gledhow Lane.

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 7th May 2006
Sunday 18th June 2006
Saturday 22nd July 2006

6. New FGVW Cards

Adam and Carol have packet 1,530 cards ready for the FunDay. There are 3 designs and Adam has sold 30 cards so far to Radish. It is proposed to sell the cards at £1.50 each or 3 for 2 at the FunDay with the proceeds going towards funding materials for future Action Mornings. There was some discussion over the cost as the Group do not want to be `too' commercial however funds are needed to pay for materials to support the woods.

7. Footpath Diversion

Some of the pathway will be diverted on Wednesday and if possible during the Action Morning on Sunday so that the Gabion work can be done. It is proposed to use some of the stone being delivered on Sunday.

8. Grants Sub-Committee

  • Adrian has contacted the Area Committee and got agreement for the grant to be used to buy gazebos and marquees rather than hiring them. The Group has bought 2 large gazebos and 3 pop-up gazebos using up £200 of the Grant.
  • Adrian has applied for the Floral Fund.

9. FunDay 2006

The FunDay will be discussed in depth at an extra meeting to be held on Thursday 11th May so only items needed to be resolved by next week were discussed.

  • Joan brought a box of leaflets that needed to be delivered. Adrian agreed to cover some of the local schools and his surrounding area. Martin agreed to deliver some to Gledhow School.
  • Simon Jenkins has agreed to put an article in the Evening Post promoting the FunDay.
  • Some posters have been put up in the Polling Station, Immaculate Heart and the Methodist Centre.
  • Adam took some posters to put up in the local shops in Chapel Allerton. Paul and Joan also took some posters to put up in local libraries. Peter agreed to print some more posters to put up in the woods.
  • The layout has been agreed and Peter will e-mail this to Adam, who will create the programme of events leaflet. Peter has also agreed a timetable of events. It was agreed that Daftasadrum would be 1.30 and 3pm, Steelers at 2 and 3.30pm and Urban Circus at 2.30 and 4pm.
  • Mike agreed to do the raffles prizes at the end of the day.
  • More volunteers are needed to help on the day so the Group agreed to recruit as many as possible and report back at next weeks meeting.

10. BBC Programme

The Group need people who have wildlife in their garden on a regular basis to get in touch so that the BBC can film the wildlife for a programme to be shown next year. Joan suggested that there were foxes in the allotments that they may be able to film. Paul has a hedgehog in his garden! The filming is expected to take place during the 1st week in June with the potential of additional filming of an Action Morning and the FunDay.

11. AOB

  • Norwich Union Staff Community Award
    Carol agreed to complete an application for a Staff Community Award at Norwich Union. The application must be submitted between 31 May and 31 July.

  • Rubbish Being Dumped in the Woods
    Joan raised the issue of rubbish being thrown over the fencing into the woods near the Bracken Wood estate. Elaine has sifted through the rubbish and found evidence of who the rubbish belongs to. She has sent it to the local authorities to see if they can do anything to stop it. Adrian also mentioned that he had seen 2 job vacancies advertised for Local Environmental Officers. The Group agreed it would be worth making contact with them once they are appointed.

  • Graffiti
    The Group also expressed concern over the graffiti on the top wall and also the number of fires that had been recently started in the woods.

12. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 7th May 2006
  • FunDay Meeting - Thu 11th May (to discuss the FunDay arrangements only)
  • Action Morning - Sun 18th June 2006
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 22nd June 2006, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sat 22nd July 2006

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 16 May 2006. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)