All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
15th June 2006

Present: Joan (Acting Chair) & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 25th May 2006
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Cares Challenge
  2. BBC Springwatch 2006
  3. Grants Sub-Committee
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Adrian Coltman, Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 25th May 2006

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Beekeeper
    The Beekeeper was very grateful for the donation given by the Group for the FunDay, however he kindly declined to accept it.

  • Grass Recovery
    The grass is recovering well after the FunDay and no lasting damage has been done. Mervyn has raked the chippings and straw but it might need raking over again in September.

  • Talks at Oakwood Library
    Mike recently represented the Group by giving talks to children at Oakwood library (6th and 7th June). He discussed the Friends Group, litter picking, and health and safety issues. The talks were well received by three groups of varying ages. Mike answered lots of questions from the kids who were very interested and enthusiastic. Leaflets of the Group and BBC Springwatch were given to each of the children. The Group thanked Mike for volunteering. Mike was also asked if he would like to get involved in collecting memories from Roundhay residents. Mike gave them details of the Friends of Roundhay Park group, who he thinks would be better suited for this task.

4. Correspondence

The Group received:

  • Chapel Allerton Village Forum minutes.
  • Scrutiny Committee report on last years flooding in the area.
  • Water Asset Management emergency responses report.

5. Action Mornings

The next Action Morning is Sunday 18th June. Work will continue on the top path. John Casey will arrange for the hardcore delivery. Elaine is delivering bog plants. Mervyn agreed to pick up the tools needed and the banner from Peter. He is also bringing the strimmer. Volunteers to meet by the bench opposite the horses field. The FGVW green banner will be displayed about 100 yards from Gledhow Lane.

The July Action Morning will be on the 22nd. The Group agreed to finish the top path if it wasn't finished during June's Action Morning, although Mervyn believed it would be. Other work to do is to be arranged at a later date as it depends on if there is any money available (Paul unavailable to ask) and also if there is any work left over from the "Cares Challenge" day (see below).

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 18th June 2006
Saturday 22nd July 2006

6. Cares Challenge

A "Cares Challenge Team" is coming to put the gabions in on Thursday 20th July. Any work they don't finish will be completed at the July Action Morning. The Group need to arrange for a crayfish survey to be completed two days before the work starts. Martin is available on the day to help between 9-11am. Any other volunteers will be welcome.

7. BBC Springwatch 2006

The Group agreed it had been a worthwhile event. The Group received:

£315 from the sale of birdboxes
£78.90 from the sale of merchandise
£57.50 from the Hunt the Duck game
£3.40 in donations

It provided a very good opportunity to promote the Group and lots of discussions had taken place throughout the day with several hundred people.

8. Grants Sub-Committee

Adrian and Paul were unavailable so the Group do not know if we have received the Area Committee Grant.

Joan and Mervyn brought leaflets and booklets gathered at the Temple Newsam BBC Springwatch event that gives details of Grants we can apply for. These include a Changing Spaces Grant and a Green Gym Grant. Mervyn agreed to pass them to Adrian.

A Norwich Union Staff Community Award form has been completed and sent to Norwich Union by Carol for approval. A decision will be made after the closing date on 31st July.

9. AOB

  • Parks & Countryside Event
    There is a Parks & Countryside Event taking place at Roundhay Park from 16th - 19th June. The Group has been asked to attend, however the Group has had to decline due to a lack of volunteers available over these dates.

  • Stolen Coble Sets
    Coble sets have been stolen from the lake area. The Group are asking any members to be vigilant and report anything suspicious.

  • Bench Strimming
    A volunteer has strimmed the areas around the benches which the Group are very grateful for.

  • Pathway Thanks
    The Group would like to thank James Mudd for providing wood chippings and Mike Betteridge and his grand-daughter for using the wood chippings to create a pathway around the power station.

  • Merchandise Sales
    Adam informed the Group that we had now sold enough merchandise to cover the full costs of production.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 18th June 2006
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 20th July 2006, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane.
  • Action Morning - Sat 22nd July 2006

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 18 Jul 2006. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)