All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Annual General Meeting
12th January 2007

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Paul Ellis, Mike & Penny Betteridge, Dorothy Carter, Nadine Henrich, Brenda Lancaster, Carol Mitchell, Victoria Dyer, Gill Mudd, Peter Traynor

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the last AGM 06-01-2006
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Chair's Report 2006
  5. Treasurer's Report 2006
  1. Merchandise Sales & Web Site Report 2006
  2. Election of Officers
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Claire Wellings, Donna.

2. Minutes of the last AGM 06-01-2006

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Action Morning Posters
    The posters advertising the Action Mornings have been restyled as discussed at the Core Group Meetings. The Group are pleased with the new look, which is more eye catching and easier to read at a distance.

  • St Johns Ambulance
    The money owed to St Johns Ambulance has now been paid.

  • Charitable Status
    The Group decided not to go ahead with the application for Charitable status due to the extra admin overhead that would be involved. Charitable status is not compulsory since the Group's yearly turnover is less than the £10,000 threshold.

  • Gledhow Park Road Flats
    The appeal regarding Gledhow Park Road flats has been turned down. The Council has recently visited the site as it has just been neglected, and the fence had blown down onto one of the neighbours. Brenda offered to find out more information and let Martin know what was happening with the site.

  • Horses' Field Development
    The Group continue to be concerned over potential development on the horses' field. There has been no planning applications and no further development. The Council are aware of the Group's concerned and has agreed to keep us informed of any future developments.

  • Ponds Trust Application
    The Group had planned to ask for assistance from the Ponds Trust. However, the silt traps keep getting emptied so the Group has taken no further action on this yet. The lake is becoming silted up though.

4. Chair's Report 2006 (Martin Calvert)

  • Action Mornings
    We held 10 Action Mornings. Work involved woodland management, keeping the paths clear, litter picking, path construction and installing benches.
    Thanks to all the Action Morning attendees.

  • Meetings
    We held 13 Core Group meetings (3 in May alone) and numerous site meetings.
    Thanks to the Core Group members for their efforts. Thanks to Michael for giving a talk to schoolchildren at Oakwood Library.

  • FunDay 2006
    The 2006 FunDay went ahead despite torrential rain in the hours preceding the 1.00pm start. The rain held off in the afternoon, but the field was a touch boggy to say the least. The event was a success despite the reduced attendance.
    This year's event will be on June 16th 2007.

  • Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs)
    Yorkshire Water have not yet sent their thoughts following a site meeting on 27th November 2006. The meeting discussed the state of the CSOs and how to move forward.

  • Merchandise
    Thanks to Adam for the continuing success and income generated from our merchandise ventures. Adam will shortly give his report.

  • Environmental Crime
    This has lessened considerably, with only a few instances of the silt traps being tampered with by the usual suspect.

  • Chapel Allerton Festival
    We attended but left early, after a valiant effort, due to solid morning rain.

  • Heritage Open Days
    Following on from our successful debut in 2005, we had two afternoons of guided talks and sold merchandise and home-made cakes. The Saturday clashed with a local Robbie Williams concert, but the Sunday attendance was excellent. No progress to report on funds for restoration of the Bath House.

  • Civic Trust
    We received a request from the Civic Trust to install a bench in memory of a local man Philip Snaith who left a £2000 legacy for this purpose. We duly installed 2 benches and the balance of the money will be spent on 2 information boards.

  • Business in the Community
    Three groups visited the woods: Morrisons (a Yorkshire Water contractor - not the supermarket!) installed two gabions at a point on the stream where the footpath was in danger of erosion; a group from Yorkshire Water had a day chopping rhododendrons and laurel from the lake area; and a group from Gaz de France spent an afternoon cutting back rhododendron from the path between Gledhow Lane and the car park.

  • Greenspace 106 Funding
    As a result of Joan and Mervyn's prompting, we had a meeting with senior Planning Officer, Chris Bolam last week. We can announce that we are to be given a grant of approximately £26,000 to improve access and habitat in Gledhow Valley Woods. This money is Greenspace Section 106 funding and is provided by the developer of Southlands on Harrogate Road. The developer is obliged to pay a contribution to Greenspace for use in the local community area. Local councillors have agreed that we can be the recipients, subject to approval of our spending plans. The money will be not be administered by the Group itself and will therefore not contribute to the annual turnover in the Group's accounts.

Matters raised following the Chair's report included:

The Group agreed that Paul could contact the Leeds Co-Op direct and arrange a suitable date for them to send volunteers to work in the woods as a team building exercise.

Adrian agreed to follow up work concerning the jetty and lake by seeking advice from CML.

5. Treasurer's Report 2006 (Paul Ellis)

Current Account

Balance at 1.12.2005 = £2,360.90
Interest = £0.64
Deposits = £5,782.51
Payments = £4,606.23
Balance at 31.12.2005 = £3,537.21

Reserve Account

Balance at 31.12.2006 = £748.51

The Reserve Account has dropped slightly as the Group took some money out of the account and did not replace it.

The Group were financially better off in 2006 than 2005.

Paul suggested moving to an e-banking account with HSBC to get a better interest rate. Martin now has access to the online Internet Banking Account so that he can also view the accounts.

Paul confirmed that the Group are in a healthy financial position.

The Group discussed the money needed for the notice boards. Peter asked if the notice boards could be insured. Notice boards are to be discussed at the next Core Group Meeting.

6. Merchandise Sales & Web Site Report 2006 (Adam Bull)

Web Site Report for 2006

Peaking at nearly 6,000, the site now regularly receives 4,000-5,000 visitors per month. The total number of visits so far (to the end of December 2006) was 203,349.

The site recently managed to achieve levels of over 11,000 page views per month. The total number of page views so far (to the end of December 2006) was 362,107.

Web Site Statistics

FGVW Web Site Size
Total number of pages in the web site (HTML) = 223
Total number of images used (JPEG & GIF) = 987
Total number of 360 degree QuickTime panoramas (MOV) = 13
Total number of audio files (MP3) = 2
Total number of files = 1,225
Total file size (MB) = 40.2

FGVW Web Site Construction & Maintenance
Total time spent constructing the web site (hours) = 277.0
Total time spent working on images for the web site (hours) = 164.0
Total time spent on research for web site content (hours) = 90.5
Total time spent on administration (hours) = 253.5
Total time spent (hours) = 785.0

E-Mail Mailing List
Number of people on the e-mail mailing list = 163

Merchandise Report for 2006

Postcard packs sold = 24 = £60.00
Rulers sold = 7 = £10.50
Badges sold = 22 = £12.40
Photos sold = 17 = £17.00
Christmas card packs sold = 94 = £246.50
Greetings cards sold = 116 = £144.50
Total income = £490.90
Development costs = £0.00
Production costs = £617.70
Total profit = -£126.80

Although the total profit for the year is negative, this is partly because of spending on new stock which is now available to sell. Income was far less than last year, largely due to awful weather affecting both the FunDay and Chapel Allerton Festival events, and the reduced number of visitors on the Heritage Open Days.

7. Election of Officers

No new nominations were received. The following were nominated and seconded as officers of the Core Group:

  • Chair - Martin Calvert
  • Treasurer - Paul Ellis
  • Secretary - Carol Bull with Adrian Coltman continuing in a Grants role.

8. AOB

  • Raffle & Duck Hunt
    The Group thanked Adam for organising and running the raffle and Duck Hunt.

  • Leeds' 800th Anniversary
    Brenda mentioned that the City was celebrating its 800th anniversary. The Group might benefit from contacting the Council if we did any activity in support of the anniversary as there may be some grant money available.

  • FunDay 2007
    The FunDay for 2007 will take place on Saturday 16th June. The events will be based on last year's list. Lynne has agreed to do the Wishing Tree with fairies. Martin encouraged everyone to start organising and booking people in. Elaine has agreed to provide a marquee and toilets.

  • Scout Weekend at Pudsey Civic Hall
    Joan and Mervyn attended a scout weekend at Pudsey Civic Hall on 6th January. They event was very unsuccessful (through no fault of the Group) and nothing was sold. Joan suggested a wildlife quiz to use at activity events where it wasn't suitable to sell merchandise.

  • Greenspace 106 Funding Plans
    Adrian raised concerned about the 106 money and how the Group were going to use and obtain such a large sum of money. Martin confirmed that the Group would need to submit a list of projects and apply for the money in chunks over a two year period. Adrian suggested that the Group draw up a process and Martin suggested planning out the Action Mornings for the next two years.

  • St Matthews Fund Raising Day
    Dorothy asked if the Group would be interested in attending the St Matthews fund raising day in July. Martin agreed provisionally so Dorothy said she would put the Group forward at the next St Matthews meeting.

  • Grant Applications
    Peter Traynor offered to assist Adrian with grant applications based on his work experience in this area. Adrian agreed to meet up with Pete to discuss further and e-mail examples.

  • Tesco Expansion Plans
    The Group has heard nothing further on the Tesco Expansion. They have offered the Group money. The Group continue to object in general principal due to the potential increased traffic flows through the woods.

  • Fallen Tree
    Dorothy mentioned a tree that had come down in the woods.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 14th January 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 25th January 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
    (special meeting to discuss funded projects for 2007)
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 8th February 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sat 10th February 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 8th March 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sun 11th March 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 12th April 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sun 15th April 2007
  • Family FunDay - Sat 16th June 2007

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 21 Feb 2007. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)