All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th February 2007

Present: Joan Clayton (Acting Chair), Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Peter Traynor.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 25th January 2007
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Grants Sub-Committee
  1. Action Mornings
  2. 106 Grant Update
  3. FunDay 2007
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Adrian Coltman, Paul Ellis, Mike Betteridge, Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 25th January 2007

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising


4. Correspondence

The Group received the following correspondence:

  • The Group has received a thank you letter following Martin's submission on behalf of the Group into the Gledhow House Public Inquiry.
  • Martin has received minutes from the latest Leeds Voice meeting.
  • The Group has received various quotes following the last meeting to decide what to use the 106 money for if successfully obtained. Martin had an on-site meeting with Aire Valley and was very impressed. They looked at the island n the lake and what trees needed cutting. They have quoted £1,770 + VAT for clearing the lake which the Group agreed was very reasonable.
  • Duffey's have been in the woods and cut back some trees that had fallen into the water. They also looked at some of the blockages in the stream and cleared the beck near Allerton Grange. The Group are very pleased with the work they have done.
  • Land Drainage has also been to look at the beck. Joan suggested that the Group dig channels around the silted areas of the lake to allow the water to flow through.

5. Grants Sub-Committee

Peter Traynor has been looking into funding. He has not been able to meet up with Adrian yet but has been researching possible grants on the internet.

He also showed a book to the Group that he had found. The Follies Journal published by the Folly Fellowship contained articles on Gipton Spa by Susan Kellerman and Karen Lynch.

Peter Traynor agreed to type up a list of possible grants he had found and e-mail the rest of the Group. He also agreed to meet up with Adrian to discuss them further.

Peter Traynor also brought a copy of the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Proposal 20th November 2006 for the Group to look at. This is a detailed document that includes Gledhow Woods and can be found on the Council web site.

6. Action Mornings

The next Action Morning is on Saturday 10th February.

The following Action Morning is on Sunday 11th March. Volunteers to meet at the old car park where there will be litter picking and path work carried out.

Adam stressed the importance of booking Action Morning activities and meeting places in advance so that he could advertise them on the BBC Breathing Spaces web site.

Next Action Mornings

Saturday 10th February 2007
Sunday 11th March 2007
Sunday 15th April 2007

7. 106 Grant Update

Martin has received some quotes from BTCV. For 3 sections of path work the costs will be approx £12,000 for the first section, £13,236 for the second section (160m plus restoration of steps) and £5,293 for the third section (75 m). If the Group use the BTCV for all path work then all the 106 money would be used up and there would be nothing left to do any other work. The Group felt that this was very expensive and discussed ways of cutting the cost and doing some of the work themselves. There was a concern that volunteers would get fed up of doing paths as they would take longer if the Group did them themselves. Joan suggested doing path work on alternative Action Mornings.

Martin has emailed Chris Bolam (Senior Planner of Strategy and Economic Policy, Planning Department at Leeds City Council) with the proposed plans for using the money. A proposal will be put forward at the next board meeting on 15th February. Brenda Lancaster and colleagues have already agreed the proposal but the Group need to wait for the final decision from the Board.

8. FunDay 2007

  • LCC Permission - Andrew Sykes has received e-mail.
  • Elaine Hill - Attending. Agreed to provide 30 tables and 60 chairs, a marquee and some toilets.
  • John Casey - Informed. Martin to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - Martin to liaise with Elaine.
  • Grants - Peter Traynor and Adrian to investigate.
  • Posters - Adam to send file to Peter for printing. 20xA3 and 40xA4 required.
  • Programme - Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 5000 needed. Photocopying, distribution, guillotine - Phil?
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - Advert required.
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to local supermarkets for support. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all supporters.
  • Gazebos - 6 or 7 large FGVW and 5 small FGVW. Graeme? Phils Scout tent? Pauls tent? Heather gazebo, Elaine marquee.
  • PA System - Peter to provide.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Application sent.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed; East Steelers and Urban Circus both contacted - awaiting reply.
  • LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man - invited.
  • Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
  • Hunt the Duck - Adam to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adam and Adrian.
  • Local History/Genealogy - Robin Dove invited.
  • Parachute Games - John Farley to invite.
  • T-Shirt Design - Plenty of t shirts in stock from last year. Martin to check if we need to purchase any more.
  • Firefighters - Mervyn and Joan to invite James, or do we need to write?
  • Police/PCSO's - Adrian to liaise with Brenda.
  • Wooden Tree - Donna?
  • Owl Man - Adrian to invite.
  • Beekeeper - David attending.
  • Hedgehogs, etc. - Jenny Beecher invited.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Attending.
  • Wildlife Quiz - Rodley Nature Reserve.
  • Bug Hunt - Subject to manpower Steve Clavering attending.
  • Bird Boxes - Mervyn
  • Meadows/Plants - Gladys?
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian pondering.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Attending
  • Face Painters - 2 to invite.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 7.30am sharp please.
  • Vegan Society - Requests have some from the Vegan Society (came in 2005 with Paula), and others, for stalls. The Group decided that we didn't really want this type of stall as they don't really have any link to the themes, ethics and purpose of the event.

9. AOB


10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sat 10th February 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 8th March 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sun 11th March 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 12th April 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sun 15th April 2007
  • Family FunDay - Sat 16th June 2007

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 21 Feb 2007. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)