Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th March 2007

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Peter Traynor, Adrian Coltman, Steve Clavering, Alex Sobel (Roundhay Labour Candidate), Paul Ellis, Donald Purves, Mike Betteridge.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th February 2007
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Grants Sub-Committee
  6. Action Mornings
  1. 106 Grant Update
  2. Information Boards
  3. FunDay 2007
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Peter Foulston, Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th February 2007

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Duffy's
    Duffey's have finished working in the woods. They have been working on the silt wells and now the water is flowing correctly. They have also removed some blockages in the stream at the Allerton Grange Way end of the woods. The Group are very pleased with the work they have done.

4. Correspondence

The Group received the following correspondence:

  • The Group has received an e-mail concerning the proposal to increase the height of a mobile phone mast on the football ground near Bracken Edge. Martin agreed to e-mail Adam with the details so he could distribute to the Group members with information of how to object to the decision. The closing date for the appeal is 14th March.
  • Details have been received from the Wildflower company from whom the Group ordered flowers last year. Steve agreed to contact Elaine about a list of suitable bog plants.
  • The Group has received this month's minutes of the Leeds Voice environmental forum.
  • Adrian provided details on the appeal decision for flats at Gledhow House. The appeal was rejected, however this was only by a very small margin. The appeal was rejected over car parking and because the area was now a designated Environmental Area.
  • The Group has been invited to a meeting given by the Conservation Area Group. Chris Osborne has decided to continue with the Group following the work they did in achieving conservation area status last year. The first meeting was held on Wednesday afternoon and the Group did not have a representative free that day. The next meeting is on Monday 26th March at 7.30pm so Martin will attend or Mike will go in his place. Chris has asked if they can have a stall at our FunDay, which the Group had no objections to.

5. Grants Sub-Committee

Elaine has sent the Group a grant application from the Recreational Non-Sporting Organisation which Martin sent on to Peter Traynor. Martin agreed to liase with Elaine and get back to Peter on what the grant was for.

Adrian agreed to apply for some MICE money for the FunDay. Alex suggested trying Paul Wadsworth and said that he would ask the Chapel Allerton Committee.

Adrian met with 3 councillors on Monday to discuss our grant application from the Area Committee for building the path around the lake. They discussed what the Group wanted to do. Adrian showed photos of the areas where work needed to be done to improve access and also showed them examples of the work the Group had done already. Adrian is waiting to hear if we have been successful.

Adrian and Peter agreed to visit RTC (Resource in the Community) on Roundhay Road to use their FunderFinder system.

Paul has sent in an application to the Wades Charity for general administrative expenses.

6. Action Mornings

The next Action Morning is on Sunday 11th March. The Rhododendrums need cutting back. The Group raised some Health & Safety concerns over burning the cuttings and agreed to tape an area off. Joan suggested bringing barrows and shovels to get rid of the mud on the path and use some of the chippings on the steps. Steve agreed to brings some spades, barrows and rakes. Martin also raised the problem of Knotweed to Steve who agreed to investigate.

The following Action Morning is on Sunday 15th April. Meeting place to be where Allerton Grange Way meets Gledhow Valley Road. The Group would like to get started on the path work but need to wait until the 106 money has been agreed. Elaine has got 2 gabions available so the Group could put these in during the Action Morning if the grant has still not been agreed.

Martin agreed to provide a list of Action Mornings for the remainder of the year.

Next Action Mornings

Sunday 11th March 2007
Sunday 15th April 2007
Saturday 19th May

7. 106 Grant Update

Martin has a meeting with Fred Duff on Tuesday 13th March. They intend to walk round the woods and discuss the proposed work the Group which to carry out with the 106 money.

Martin has received a quote of £1,775 + VAT from Airedale Tree Services to clear the island in the Gledhow Lake, which the Group thought was a reasonable price.

The Group agreed at the last meeting that the quotes from BTCV were very high so Martin had got a quote from Rightway. Their quote for the same amount of path work was approximately £4,600.

Steve thought that he may be able to get some 'free' days from BTCV and agreed to investigate.

8. Information Boards

Adam agreed to send Paul details of the notice board suppliers.

Adam agreed to progress on the design after consultation with Martin on where the new benches were going.

9. FunDay 2007

  • LCC Permission - Andrew Sykes has received e-mail. Meeting with Fred Duff on Tuesday 13th March. Will mention FunDay then.
  • Elaine Hill - Attending. Agreed to provide 30 tables and 60 chairs, a marquee and some toilets.
  • John Casey - Informed. Martin to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - Martin to liaise with Elaine.
  • Grants - Peter Trainer and Adrian to investigate.
  • Posters - Adam to send file to Peter for printing. 20xA3 and 40xA4 required.
  • Programme - Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 5000 needed. Photocopying, distribution, guillotine. Phil?
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - Advert required. Adrian to investigate.
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to local supermarkets for support. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all supporters.
  • Gazebos - 6 or 7 large FGVW and 5 small FGVW. Graeme? Phils Scout tent? Pauls tent, Heather gazebo, Elaine marquee. The Scouts have also asked if the Group would like to purchase their old tent for £50. Mervyn agreed to negotiate and Paul agreed to store the tent.
  • PA System - Peter to provide. Steve also has a PA if needed but it needs a generator.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Application approved.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed; East Steelers still only a possibility and Urban Circus agreed subject to final confirmation.
  • LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man - Agreed to attend.
  • Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
  • Hunt the Duck - Adam to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adam and Adrian.
  • Local History/Genealogy - Robin Dove invited.
  • Parachute Games - John Farley to invite. Adrian and Paul have parachutes if needed.
  • T-Shirt Design - Plenty of t shirts in stock from last year. Martin to check if we need to purchase any more.
  • Firefighters - Mervyn and Joan to invite James, or do we need to write?
  • Police/PCSO's - Adrian to liaise with Brenda.
  • Wooden Tree - Donna confirmed
  • Owl Man - Confirmed.
  • Beekeeper - David attending.
  • Hedgehogs, etc. - Jenny Beecher and Pennie Keech both unavailable.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Attending.
  • Wildlife Quiz - Rodley Nature Reserve.
  • Bug Hunt - Subject to manpower Steve Clavering attending.
  • Bird Boxes - Mervyn
  • Meadows/Plants - Gladys?
  • Clay Modelling - Woodcraft folk will do.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Attending
  • Face Painters - 2 confirmed.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 7.30am sharp please.
  • Vegan Society - Requests have some from the Vegan Society (came in 2005 with Paula), and others, for stalls. The Group decided that we didn't really want this type of stall as they don't really have any link to the themes, ethics and purpose of the event.
  • Herbal Medicine Stall - Donald Purves confirmed.
  • Morris Men - Joan to investigate.
  • Ferrets/Skunk Person - Joan to forward details on to Martin.
  • Storyteller - Suggested by Steve
  • Wishing Tree - Lynn confirmed.
  • Conservation Area Committee - Have requested a stall, approved by Group.

10. AOB

  • Deer Spotted Again
    Adrian has seen both deer in the woods.

  • "Herb Awareness" Walk
    Donald Purves (Consulting Medical Herbalist) is planning to do a "Herb Awareness" walk in the woods at the end of May. Details to follow.

  • Library Talk
    Mike has agreed to give a talk at the library on the Group's work. He is also hoping to publicise the FunDay at the event.

  • Breathing Spaces Events
    Joan asked if anyone has heard about Breathing Spaces events this year. Steve said that he was not aware of anything happening in our area.

  • Bath House Clearing
    Avril and Manya sent thanks to the Group for clearing the area around the Bath House.

  • Drainage Trench
    Joan informed Paul that the trench he had dug at the last Action Morning wasn't working effectively. Paul agreed that we need to find where the underground drainage is and find out what's blocking the smaller pipe. Paul agreed to take another look at the next Action Morning.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 11th March 2007
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 12th April 2007, 8pm at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
  • Action Morning - Sun 15th April 2007
  • Action Morning - Sat 19th May 2007
  • Family FunDay - Sat 16th June 2007

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 13 Mar 2007. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)