< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th May 2007
Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Kath Morgan, Alan Wilkinson, Peter Foulston, Peter Trainer, Anthony Rouse
1. Apologies for Absence
Sian Dodderidge, Paul Ellis, Adrian Coltman.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 12th April 2007
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Herbology Walks
There was a reminder about the Herbology Walks due to take place on Sunday 20th May at 2pm and Tuesday 22nd May at 6.30pm, led by local herbalist Donald Purves. The walks will both start at the Bath House. Donald has also helped the Group choose some wildflowers to plant in the woods.
- BBC Springwatch
The BBC Springwatch event is in Hull this year so it is unlikely the Group will attend.
The Group received the following correspondence:
- Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group has sent the minutes from their 3rd meeting.
- The Group has received this month's minutes of the Leeds Voice environmental forum.
- Martin showed the Group the list of wildflowers and plants that he has ordered.
- Tesco has replied to Martin's letter and increased their FunDay donation from £10 to £250.
5. Grants Sub-Committee
The Group has received £200 MICE money from Brenda Lancaster for the FunDay.
The Area Committee has agreed a grant for £11,000 based on the BCTV quotes submitted.
6. Action Mornings
The next Action Morning is on Saturday 19th May. The meeting area is at the bench near the boggy area opposite the horses field. Wildflowers will be planted in the meadow area and the boggy area near the lake. Martin and Peter plan to mark out the areas to be cleared for planting. Mervyn agreed to check if there was some gravel available for the Group to use otherwise Martin would go and buy some on Friday.
The Group agreed to record which plants we planted where as planting has been unsuccessful in the past so it would help to know what worked. Mervyn will also bring the strimmer to clear the areas around the benches.
The Group agreed that we need to promote the July Action Morning planned at the annual FunDay. We would like to do some path work but this depends on us getting the 106 Grant money in time.
Next Action Mornings
- Saturday 19th May
- Sunday 22nd July 2007
- Sunday 2nd September 2007
- Saturday 6th October 2007
- Sunday 11th November 2007
- Saturday 8th December 2007
7. 106 Grant Update
Martin was due to have a meeting to discuss the Grant with Fred Duff and Chris Bolam on Friday 18th May. This has been cancelled and needs to be rearranged. The Group continue to be concerned about getting value for money from the grant and also the time it will take to get any work completed if it is done by the Council. Over the years the Council has agreed to replace bricks on the bridge, remove knotweed and do some tree felling but these are still overdue and have not been completed. Also e-mails sent to the Council on various points remain unanswered.
8. Information Boards
Adam and Martin had a meeting to discuss content. They agreed that one side should show the map as shown on the leaflet and include bird and plant photo's and a brief description. The other side would show details from the leaflet and useful contact numbers.
Adam needs to know the future location of the new benches so that the boards are as up to date as possible.
9. FunDay 2007
- LCC Permission - Andrew Sykes has received e-mail.
- Elaine Hill - Attending. Agreed to provide 30 tables and 60 chairs, a marquee and some toilets. Martin expressed concern that these had not been ordered. Steve should order them in the next couple of days.
- John Casey - Informed. Martin to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
- Risk Assessments - Martin to liaise with Elaine/Steve.
- Grants - £200 MICE money and £250 grant from Tesco received so far.
- Posters - Adam to send file to Adrian for printing 40xA4. Martin to sort out A3 copies.
- Programme - Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
- Flyers - 5000 needed. Photocopying is being organised by Joan, distribution would be through local schools and libraries, guillotine. Phil.
- Chapel Allerton Magazine - Advert submitted by Adrian.
- Refreshments - Received £250 from Tesco although this may be used to help pay for the turns, and £5 from Sainsbury's. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all supporters.
- Gazebos - 6 or 7 large FGVW and 5 small FGVW. Graeme? Phil's Scout tent. Paul's tent, Heather's gazebo, Elaine's marquee.
- PA System - Martin to provide if we get a generator.
- St Johns Ambulance - Application approved.
- Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. East Steelers declined. Samba Band from Rossett, and Adrian's band. Urban Circus agreed subject to final confirmation.
- LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man - Agreed to attend.
- Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
- Hunt the Duck - Adam to organise.
- FGVW Display - Adam and Adrian.
- Local History/Genealogy - Robin Dove has declined.
- Parachute Games - John Farley invited. Adrian and Paul have parachutes if needed.
- T-Shirt Design - Plenty of t-shirts in stock from last year.
- Firefighters - James has agreed to attend.
- Police/PCSO's - Agreed.
- Wooden Tree - Donna confirmed.
- Owl Man - Confirmed.
- Beekeeper - David attending.
- Hedgehogs, etc. - Jenny Beecher and Pennie Keech both unavailable. Sue Charlton has agreed to come and release some hedgehogs.
- Tadpoles/Frogs - Unavailable.
- Wildlife Quiz - Rodley Nature Reserve may not be able to attend, Joan is in contact with them.
- Bug Hunt - Subject to manpower Steve Clavering attending.
- Bird Boxes - Mervyn, wood has been ordered. However there is an issue due to wood shortage. Mervyn to look for alternative supplier.
- Plants - Gladys and Joan.
- Clay Modelling - Woodcraft folk will do.
- Woodcraft Folk - Attending.
- Face Painters - Two confirmed, one of the regulars pulled out. Rainbow instead.
- Turns/Timetable - Peter.
- Roping Off - Peter.
- Setting Up - From 7.30am sharp please.
- Vegan Society - Request for stall turned down.
- Herbal Medicine Stall - Donald Purves confirmed.
- Morris Men - Joan to investigate.
- Ferrets/Skunk Person - Joan to forward details on to Martin.
- Storyteller - Suggested by Steve.
- Wishing Tree - Lynn confirmed.
- Conservation Area Committee - Have requested a stall, approved by Group.
- Animal Protection Stall - Agreed.
- Radish Stall - Agreed.
- Ferret Rescue - Possibility. Joan in contact.
- Wishing Tree - Lynne unavailable this year.
Peter has agreed to be interviewed by Roundhay School for a community slot on their radio station, East Leeds FM, on 7th June between 6pm and 7pm to promote our FunDay.
Mike provided a FunDay Weather Prediction Report to the Group. Mike had studied the weather details on the 16th June for the last 5 years and estimated that there is an 80% chance it will be dry and the average temperature will be 20C or 67F. He is cautiously optimistic that it will not rain although he did add a disclaimer that he is not responsible for the weather. Everyone is encourage to think hot and sunny and in the Power of Positive Thinking!
A FunDay meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th June to discuss leaflet distribution, etc.
- Challenge Group Money
The Challenge people have been in contact with Joan regarding the bench that they would like to donate. They are going to show Joan where they would like it siting and provide a cheque to the Group. They are considering whether or not to buy a plaque.
11. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sat 19th May 2007
- Core Group Meeting - Tue 5th June 2007 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 14th June 2007 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
- Family FunDay - Sat 16th June 2007