< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
5th June 2007
Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston, Anthony Rouse, Adrian Coltman
1. Apologies for Absence
Sian Dodderidge, Paul Ellis.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 17th May 2007
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
Held over for future meeting.
The Group received the following correspondence:
- Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group are having an Open Day on Saturday 7th July 3-5pm at the Police Club. They have asked the Group if they would like a stall. The Group would like to attend provided they have enough volunteers as they have also committed to St Matthews Fayre on the same day.
- The Group has received this month's minutes of the Leeds Voice Environmental Eorum.
5. Grants Sub-Committee
Held over for future meeting.
6. Action Mornings
Next Action Mornings
- Sunday 22nd July 2007
- Sunday 2nd September 2007
- Saturday 6th October 2007
- Sunday 11th November 2007
- Saturday 8th December 2007
7. FunDay 2007
- LCC Permission - The Group has not yet received confirmation from LCC that the event can go ahead, although this is not unusual!
- Elaine Hill - Attending. 30 tables and 60 chairs, a marquee and some toilets have been ordered at a cost of approximately £700 (hopefully covered by LCC).
- John Casey - Informed. Martin to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
- Risk Assessments - Martin to liaise with Elaine/Steve.
- Grants - £200 MICE money and £250 grant from Tesco received so far.
- Posters - Have been printed and distributed at the meeting to put up in local schools, businesses and woods.
- Programme - Peter and Adrian to plan, Adam to design. 400 needed.
- Flyers - 5,000 were produced and passed to various members of the Group to distribute to local schools and libraries.
- Chapel Allerton Magazine - Advert submitted by Adrian.
- Refreshments - Received £250 from Tesco although this may be used to help pay for the turns, and £5 from Sainsbury's. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all supporters.
- Gazebos - 6 or 7 large FGVW and 5 small FGVW. Phil's Scout tent. Paul's tent, Heather's gazebo, Elaine's marquee.
- PA System - Martin to provide if we get a generator.
- St Johns Ambulance - Application approved.
- Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. East Steelers declined. Samba Band from Rossett, and Adrian's band. Urban Circus agreed subject to final confirmation.
- LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man - LCC agreed to attend but have pulled out at the last minute due to a commitment the previous weekend. Martin to check if Dale can still attend on his own.
- Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise. Prize fund is already at £640, including a very generous £100 gift voucher from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative, £68 of Leeds Rhino tickets from the Leeds Building Society, and a £50 mirror from Mungai Mirrors.
- Hunt the Duck - Adam to organise.
- FGVW Display - Adam and Adrian.
- Local History/Genealogy - Robin Dove has declined.
- Parachute Games - John Farley invited. Adrian and Paul have parachutes if needed.
- T-Shirt Design - Plenty of t-shirts in stock from last year.
- Firefighters - James has agreed to attend.
- Police/PCSO's - Agreed.
- Wooden Tree - Donna confirmed.
- Owl Man - Confirmed.
- Beekeeper - David attending.
- Hedgehogs, etc. - Jenny Beecher and Pennie Keech both unavailable. Sue Charlton has agreed to come and release some hedgehogs.
- Tadpoles/Frogs - Unavailable.
- Wildlife Quiz - Rodley Nature Reserve unable to attend. Martin to ask Steve if they can do a quiz.
- Bug Hunt - Subject to manpower, Steve Clavering attending.
- Bird Boxes - Wood has been delivered and Mervyn has been working on preparing the bird boxes. They are 16 made up and approx 50 kits.
- Plants - Joan has been busy potting plants and asked the Group for plant donations for the FunDay.
- Clay Modelling - Woodcraft folk may be doing this.
- Woodcraft Folk - Attending.
- Face Painters - Two confirmed, one of the regulars pulled out. Rainbow instead.
- Turns/Timetable - Peter/Martin. Details to Adam for programme.
- Roping Off - Peter.
- Setting Up - From 7.30am sharp please.
- Vegan Society - Request for stall turned down.
- Herbal Medicine Stall - Donald Purves confirmed.
- Morris Men - Unable to attend.
- Ferrets/Skunk Person - Unable to attend.
- Storyteller - Suggested by Steve.
- Conservation Area Committee - Agreed.
- Animal Protection Stall - Agreed.
- Radish Stall - Agreed.
- Ferret Rescue - Unable to attend.
- Wishing Tree - Lynne unavailable this year.
Peter will be interviewed by Roundhay School for a community slot on their radio station, East Leeds FM, on 7th June between 6pm and 7pm to promote our FunDay.
Friends of Highwood would like to borrow a gazebo which the Group agreed.
Adam agreed to e-mail members asking for plant donations, cake baking and volunteers to help on the day. Any volunteers to be sent to Joan so that she can allocate tasks.
Martin asked everyone in the Group to let him know how many gazebos they had stored so that he could check we had enough.
The Group discussed buying a generator. There was some discussion over size and cost. Martin to investigate further and discuss with LCC and Tesco if some of their donation could be used for this purpose.
Martin agreed to e-mail Adam details of the layout and order of play so that he could produce a programme of events.
Adrian agreed to confirm that the band time of 3pm was OK by close on Wednesday.
Martin agreed to contact Elaine regarding the equipment she normally brings for the FunDay, and the Group agreed that we should get some wood chippings ready in case of bad weather.
9. Dates of Next Meetings
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 14th June 2007 at the Police Club, Gledhow Lane
- Family FunDay - Sat 16th June 2007
- Action Morning - Sunday 22nd July 2007
- Action Morning - Sunday 2nd September 2007
- Action Morning - Saturday 6th October 2007
- Action Morning - Sunday 11th November 2007
- Action Morning - Saturday 8th December 2007