All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
13th December 2007

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Peter Foulston, Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Adrian Coltman.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 15th Nov 2007
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. 106 Grant Update
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FGVW Annual General Meeting
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Mike Betteridge, Sian Dodderidge, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 15th Nov 2007

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Missing Drain Cover
    The drain cover has been replaced near the old car park.
  • Planning Permission
    No further updates on the planning permission for 157 Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Information Boards
    Joan suggested contacting Fred Duff to obtain permission for putting up the information boards in the woods.
    Adam showed the Group a mock-up of the data going on the information board for discussion. Joan suggested altering the text referring to the lake so that it stated the lake had been enlarged in the 1950's rather than constructed. There are also 3 extra benches to be shown which will be put in at a future Action Morning.
  • Community & City Pride Awards
    The Group has not been successful in being short listed for the Community and City Pride Awards.
  • Tesco Grant
    The money from Tesco promised for the FunDay earlier in the year has still not been received.
  • Free Gabion
    The Group has received a gabion for use as required.

4. Correspondence

The Group has received the minutes from the Gledhow Conservation Group for their last meeting.

Norwich Union has issued a letter to the Group confirming that they have been successful in obtaining £315 from the Volunteer Plus Scheme.

Leeds Wildlife Volunteers has sent a practical task programme for 2008 which people can attend.

5. 106 Grant Update

An e-mail was sent to Fred Duff on behalf of the Group concerning the work being done in the woods. It covered 4 main points: the stone not being replaced on the bridge, not enough trees being removed from the island, tree not being removed from the carriageway, poor path work/path flooding.

Since the e-mail the Council has done more work to improve the path and installed some edging. Martin is waiting for confirmation from the Council that the work has been completed as more work may need to be done by the Group afterwards.

Steve Allen has contacted Martin to tell him that he is hoping to get the bus again in the next few weeks so that he can continue with the work to cut back the trees down Gledhow Valley Road.

6. Action Mornings

At the last Action Morning the Group cleared one of the drains, planted bulbs and cut back some trees growing out of the wall.

Suggestions for January's Action Morning included putting in benches, planting on the island, cutting some saplings. Please meet opposite Gledhow Park Drive. The Group has been instructed by the Council not to cut any trees that are more than 4 inches in diameter and also that they are not permitted to use a strimmer because of Health and Safety concerns.

Adrian suggested putting two staggered logs across the carriageway to allow access to wheelchairs but prevent vehicles from gaining access.

Anything not covered in January's Action Morning will be covered during February and March, including planting on the island.

Next Action Mornings

  • Sun 13 Jan 2008
  • Sun 10 Feb 2008
  • Sat 15 Mar 2008
  • Sun 6 Apr 2008

7. FGVW Annual General Meeting

The AGM will take place on Friday 1st February 2008, 8.00pm.

8. AOB

  • Safety Shoes
    Martin has received an e-mail from Emma Tricket who has offered to buy Safety Shoes for the Volunteers. Martin collected sample shoe sizes from the Group.
  • Volunteer Thank You Event
    Adrian and Peter attended a Volunteer Thank You Event on 13th December at the Civic Hall.
  • FunDay 2008
    The Group agreed to discuss the FunDay for 2008 at the next meeting. The date has been set for 14th June 2008.
  • Donations
    The Group would like to thank Mrs Hudd who kindly donated £100 to the Group to use in the woods. Martin has sent a thank you to her on the Group's behalf.
    The Group would also like to thank Lesley Lewis for donating the remains of the hospital fund to buy a bench for the woods.
  • Dangerous Metal Spikes
    Adrian suggested cutting down some metal spikes in the woods near to where a rope swing as been put up.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 10 Jan 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Jan 2008
  • AGM - Fri 1 Feb 2008
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 7 Feb 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Feb 2008
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 13 Mar 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
  • Action Morning - Sat 15 Mar 2008
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 3 Apr 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
  • Action Morning - Sun 6 Apr 2008

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 01 Jan 2008. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)