< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
7th February 2008
Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Christine Spink.
1. Apologies for Absence
Sian Dodderidge, Adam Wilks, Justin Williamson.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th Jan 2008
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Path Work
The Group has sent an e-mail to Fred Duff regarding the path work done using the 106 Grant money.
- Shoes for Action Morning Volunteers
Joan has distributed the safety shoes amongst the volunteers. She has just 5 pairs left.
E-mails exchanged between the Group, the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group (GVCAG), Counsellor Wadsworth and Ann Castle regarding the proposed house development on Gledhow Valley Road. An e-mail has been sent by Martin Calvert stating our objections. A Plans Panel meeting will take place on 14 February at 1.30pm at the Civic Hall.
5. 106 Grant Update
The Group has asked Fred Duff to walk the path to assess the work that has been done. The island has been cleared. Plants such as oak, rowan and hawthorn have been ordered. £500 has been spent using the services of the BTCV.
Bags of wildflower seed have been bought, some of which will be given to local residents living by the woods to spread close to where they live. It is planned to use the other seed at the Action Morning in March if the frost has gone.
6. Action Mornings
The January Action Morning went well - benches were installed and some path work done.
The next Action Morning is on Sunday 10th February. Adrian agreed to sort out the delivery of 8 tons of stone and matting, and the Morning will be used for topping up existing paths and preparing new ones. Mervyn has got the timber to do some decked areas but this may not be done until a future Action Morning.
The Action Morning in March will hopefully be spent planting the island and spreading wildflower seed. Please meet at the old car park on Gledhow Valley Road.
Work at the Action Morning in April will depend on what is left over from February and March, but will probably be decking.
Next Action Mornings
- Sat 15 Mar 2008
- Sun 6 Apr 2008
- Sun 11 May 2008
- Sat 12 Jul 2008
7. FGVW Family FunDay 2008
- LCC Permission: sent letter to Andrew Sykes. Nothing resolved yet. Steve Clavering or his rep in attendance. Elaine Hill also in attendance as a volunteer. Need to fund 32 tables and 50 chairs, marquee and 2 toilets.
- John Casey: to be informed. MC to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
- Risk Assessments: Martin to liaise with Elaine/Steve.
- Grants: Nothing to report yet.
- Posters: 40 x A4 needed - Adrian to print.
- Programme: Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
- Flyers: 5,000 needed. Adam to produce. Elaine has agreed to do the photocopying.
- Guillotine: Phil?
- Chapel Allerton Magazine: Adrian.
- Refreshments: Tesco and Sainsburys? Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all supporters.
- Gazebos: 8 x (9x3) large, 6 x (3x3) pop-up. Phil's scout tent? Paul's scout tent? We then have 6 small gazebos in reserve. Need one main marquee.
- PA System: Martin to possibly provide using our generator.
- St Johns Ambulance: Martin to invite.
- Turns: Daftasadrum confirmed. Bassabassa invited. Storyteller Christine McMahon confirmed. Urban Circus to be invited also.
- LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man: Martin to invite.
- Raffle: Adam to organise.
- Hunt the Duck: Adam to organise.
- FGVW Display: Adam and Adrian.
- Local History/Genealogy: Robin Dove to invite - Joan.
- Parachute Games: John and Jenny Farley agreed.
- T-Shirt Design: None in stock, Ellis may be available.
- Firefighters: James has agreed to attend.
- Police/PCSOs: Adrian to liaise with Brenda.
- Wooden Tree: Donna.
- Owl Man: Birds of Prey?
- Beekeeper: David accepted.
- Hedgehogs, etc.: Sue Charlton has agreed to attend.
- Tadpoles/Frogs: Unavailable.
- Bug Hunt: Subject to manpower Steve Clavering attending.
- Bird Boxes: Mervyn.
- Plants: Gladys/Linda.
- Clay Modelling: Joan has a volunteer.
- Woodcraft Folk: Adrian inviting.
- Face Painters: 2 to invite - Martin.
- Turns/Timetable: Peter.
- Roping Off: Peter.
- Setting Up: From 7.30am sharp please.
- Animal Protection Stall: No, not suitable.
- Herbal Medicine Stall: Nothing to report yet.
- Seven: Probably not.
- Conservation Area Committee: Nothing to report yet.
- Radish Stall: Adam to contact.
- Gledhow Allotments: Martin to contact.
- Wishing Tree: Is Lynne available.
- Straw Bales: OK.
- Woodchip piles: Martin to organise.
- Entrance Banner: - Paul.
The Group agreed that grants were needed to fund the FunDay. Valerie Kendall has written to the Group asking us to apply for some MICE money. Adrian agreed to apply for this as a community project.
Elaine has sent some information on Grants to the Group which Adrian agreed to investigate.
Christine suggested looking at Breathing Spaces to see if there was anything we could apply for.
- Forest Garden
Peter suggested creating a "forest garden" in the woods and planting edible plants in a terraced/layered way. He identified the area near the pastures for clearing and replanting. However, some of the Group raised the issue of the local residents complaining last time this area was cleared. Peter suggested asking Justin for his opinion and asking local residents for their opinions beforehand.
- Forum Meeting
Joan stated that there was a Forum meeting at the Chapel Allerton Methodist Church on Monday 11th February at 7pm to discuss the building works behind Yorkshire Bank.
10. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 10 Feb 2008
- Core Group Meeting - Tue 11 Mar 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
- Action Morning - Sat 15 Mar 2008
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 3 Apr 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
- Action Morning - Sun 6 Apr 2008
- Action Morning - Sun 11 May 2008
- FunDay - Sat 14 Jun 2008 (1.30pm to 5.30pm)
- Action Morning - Sat 12 Jul 2008