All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
11th March 2008

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman, Adam Wilks, Anthony Rouse, Diane & Trevor Kitto.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 7th Feb 2008
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Woodland Management
  6. 106 Grant Update
  1. Action Mornings
  2. Information Boards
  3. FGVW Family FunDay 2008
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Sian Dodderidge, Justin Williamson, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 7th Feb 2008

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Chapel Allerton Forum Meeting
    Some members of the Group attended the Chapel Allerton Forum meeting to discuss the planning permission for building flats with a shop front in the area behind Yorkshire Bank. The Planning Officer was very good and fielded a lot of questions. A planning application for 70 flats is going through the planning process. Concern was raised over the volume of traffic coming out of Stainbeck Lane.
  • Shoes for Action Morning Volunteers
    Joan and Mervyn have bought some more safety shoes. All regular volunteers now have safety shoes.
  • Thank You Event at Leeds Civic Hall
    Joan provided an update on what happened at the event. The attendees generally agreed that it was worth attending and was very interesting.

4. Correspondence

The Group has been sent an invitation to attend the Chapel Allerton Ward meeting at Tech North on 12th March 5.30pm-7.30pm.

There is also a Community Engagement Event being held by the Environment Neighbours Team on Thursday 20th March 4pm-8pm at Roundhay School.

Martin has received a letter from Planning Services regarding 157 Gledhow Valley Road. Despite objections planning has been approved for a four bedroom detached house with separate double garage.

Minutes received from the Gledhow Valley Conservation Group (GVCAG) meeting held on 5th February.

5. Woodland Management

Justin Williamson was hoping to attend the meeting this evening but was unavailable. Instead he e-mailed a suggested 5 year plan for management of the woods. This was circulated around the Group.

Trevor Kitto raised concern about healthy trees being cut down near the highway. He has been in contact with the Council. Martin suggested raising this with Justin when he brings the maps of the area and discusses his plans for the woods at the next meeting.

6. 106 Grant Update

Martin e-mailed Fred Duff concerning the remaining path work to be completed, the missing stone on the bridge and the path edging. John Casey, Fred Duff and Bob Bradley met some of the Group in the woods on Thursday to discuss the work. The suggested work has been carried out this week.

The Group agreed to do some decking work in the woods and the borders are going to be completed by the Council. The missing stone is also due to be replace on the bridge. The Council are also going to install a handrail where the path narrows near the lake. The Lifelines are having to be replaced on a regular basis so this will be reviewed after 12 months. Duffy's have agreed to put a new cover on the CSO near the jetty.

The Group are waiting for confirmation on the invoice amount for the work completed.

Mervyn suggested putting fencing up to restrict access to the island and protect the planting to be done at the Action Morning. The Group agreed that this decision would need to be taken by the Council and any action taken by them. The Group will continue planting the island and see what happens.

The Group agreed it would be better to use tree trunks rather than bollards to restrict access to the pathways to just pushchairs and wheelchairs.

7. Action Mornings

March Action Morning will be spent spreading wildflower seed along the sides of the new path. The Group has received some seeding advice from the Really Wildflowers company. There are also some wildflower plugs to plant and some litter picking needs doing on the opposite side of the road. The Group has bought 10 trees and 90 bushes to plant on the island. Martin agreed to arrange for stakes and tree ties. Mervyn and Adam W agreed to meet up early to set up some safe access to the island. The cut down beech also needs moving as it is restricting bluebell growth and the tree trunks through in the lake need moving. If there are enough volunteers it is hoped that the sides of the carriageway can also be cleared. Lots of wheelbarrows are required.

During April/May Action Mornings the path work needs to be finished. 8 tons of stone will be delivered and volunteers should meet at the gas sub-station near Allerton Grange Way. The existing path needs topping up. The sides of the carriageway also need clearing and a site visit is planned to identify what to do at April's Action Morning.

The main April Action Morning has moved back to Sunday to 6th April. However, if anyone would like to attend a secondary Action Morning on Saturday 5th April there is some preparation work to do with decking and path work.

Next Action Mornings

  • Sat 5 Apr 2008
  • Sun 6 Apr 2008
  • Sun 11 May 2008
  • Sat 12 Jul 2008

8. Information Boards

Adrian brought some further information in for the Group to consider. Adam B has completed half of the work, but is waiting for confirmation that we can actually put the boards up before continuing. Martin agreed to get permission from John Casey.

9. FGVW Family FunDay 2008

There has been a lot of concern over whether the FunDay would be able to go ahead this year. The Group has received various e-mails and letters from Council Departments discussing our case. The Council initially stated that it wasn't willing to support the event and we were not permitted to call it a Leeds City Council event. Emma Trickett from Parks and Countryside is happy for the FunDay to go ahead. Emma agreed to attend a special FunDay meeting to discuss on 27th March. Joanne Smythe e-mailed to give her agreement for the event to go ahead although she would like it to be more environmentally themed.

Martin asked the Group to start booking for the event. Pete said that he would find out if his band could attend or not this week as they were holding a Band Meeting. Martin has been in contact with St Johns Ambulance who has agreed to attend. Adam B has been investigating birds of prey. An extra meeting has been booked on 27th March just to discuss the FunDay.

10. AOB

  • Christmas Cards
    Adam B brought in a selection of photos for the Group to decide which two to use for Christmas cards. The two designs with the most votes from the Group won. Adam agreed to order the cards.
  • Chapel Allerton Allotment Show
    Adrian had been asked by the Allotment Association if the Group would like to do a display and sell merchandise at their show on 5th April at 2.30pm at the Methodist Church. Adrian and Adam B agreed to go. He has also been approached by the library to put a display up.
  • St Matthews Fair
    Joan confirmed that the St Matthew's Fair will take place on 12th July. The Group agreed to let Dorothy know if they would attend nearer the time.
  • MICE Money
    Adrian has received £76.19 MICE money from Valerie Kendall to buy wood for bird boxes. Mervyn asked if some of the 106 money could be used for purchasing wood.
  • Health & Safety
    Adam W suggested putting a board up informing volunteers of the Health & Safety aspects of doing an Action Morning and reminders that they should be wearing jackets and safety shoes. He agreed to put something together for the Group to discuss. He also stated that his First Aid certificate would need to be renewed this year, and the Group agreed to pay for its renewal if required. He also mentioned that the path along the wood had been cleared.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sat 15 Mar 2008
  • FunDay Meeting - Thu 27 March 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 3 Apr 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane)
  • (Extra) Action Morning - Sat 5 Apr 2008
  • Action Morning - Sun 6 Apr 2008
  • Action Morning - Sun 11 May 2008
  • FunDay - Sat 14 Jun 2008 (1.30pm to 5.30pm)
  • Action Morning - Sat 12 Jul 2008

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 14 Mar 2008. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)