All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
23rd June 2008

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Adam Wilks, Peter Foulston, Anthony Rouse, Sian Dodderidge, Claire Standish, Steve Johns.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 29th May 2008
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. 106 Grant Update
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FGVW Family FunDay 2008
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Mike Betteridge, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 29th May 2008

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

To be dealt with at the next meeting.

4. Correspondence

To be dealt with at the next meeting.

5. 106 Grant Update

To be dealt with at the next meeting.

6. Action Mornings

To be dealt with at the next meeting.

Next Action Mornings

  • Sat 12 Jul 2008

7. FGVW Family FunDay 2008

Martin received an e-mail from Emma Trickett passing on her thanks to the Group for the FunDay. She stated that the organisation was superb and that everything had gone really well on the day. She is recommending that Parks & Countryside support the event in the future. She would like the Rangers to be involved earlier and to contribute more. She is happy for the Group to continue organising the event in the future and for Parks & Countryside to retain overall control.

A thank you letter has been received from Hope Pastures Horse and Donkey Sanctuary for the bales of straw donated by the Group following the FunDay.

Fabian Hamilton has thanked the Group for inviting him to the FunDay.

Adrian sent an e-mail stating that he received lots of positive feedback about the work of the Group and some suggestions for future developments in the woods. The main concerns were quad bikes and signage of walks. Adrian agreed to discuss this further at the next meeting.

Martin thanked the volunteers for setting up in the morning and for their help during the day. The gazebos went up very quickly and the event was well organised.

The Group are grateful to Jim Mudd for the loan of his lorry.

Concern was raised over the Name tags that went round the neck. Paul may be able to get some pin badges for next year.

The Group discussed what events had gone down well at the FunDay and any ideas to be considered for next years event.

  • LCC Permission: Emma Trickett e-mailed the Group confirming her support for future FunDays.
  • Tables/Chairs/Etc: Need to fund 32 tables and 50 chairs, marquee and 2 toilets. There was some debate over whether the marquee would be needed in the future however the consensus was that it was necessary in case of bad weather.
  • John Casey: Grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments: Martin has a copy of all the risk assessments. A new risk assessment will be needed for any future new activities.
  • Grants: Area Committee gave a £500 grant. It was agreed that Grants needed to be investigated earlier and that more needed to be applied for.
  • Posters: 60xA4 were produced. Claire suggested that the posters should be simpler and just show the date, time and the event. Further details could be kept on the Flyer. It was suggested both a flyer and a poster could be produced rather than using exactly the same design for each. It was also suggested to do some A3 size posters. There was also a suggestion to produce signs that could be placed along Gledhow Valley Road so that drivers could read them.
  • Programme: Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
  • Flyers: 6,000 needed. Schools covered: Chapel A, St Matthew's, Alcuin, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow and Kerr Mackie. A suggestion was made to include Talbot next time.
  • Guillotine: Phil.
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine: Limited advertising and/or out of date.
  • Refreshments: Extremely successful this year! Tesco sent some vouchers after the event so these will be used at future Action Mornings. Sainsbury's also sent a donation. Somerfield did not send anything. There was some debate around how much home baking was provided and remained unresolved. Peter suggested more savouries. The fruit kebabs with a £1 charge were very popular. 160 ice pops were also sold.
  • Gazebos: 9 x (9x3) large, 6 x (3x3) pop-up. Phil's scout tent? We have donated 4 small gazebos to Gledhow School. Possibly 2 still out there. On pop up was written off at the FunDay. Suggestion to buy another large one when the sales are on.
  • PA System: Martin to provide and the Group will use their own generator.
  • St Johns Ambulance: Attended.
  • Turns: Daftasadrum attended. Bassabassa attended. Storyteller Christine McMahon attended. Urban Circus declined. Mixed reaction over the band this year. The Group has received an offer from a brass band for next year.
  • LCC Forestry & Dale the Chainsaw Man: LCC Forestry attended. Dale was unable to com. Justin thought that this display needed to be more interactive in the future. There was some disappointment that the Chainsaw Man wasn't there this year. Martin to invite him next year direct.
  • Raffle: Adam organised.
  • Hunt the Bear: Adam organised.
  • FGVW Display: Adam and Adrian organised.
  • Local History/Genealogy: Robin Dove unable to attend.
  • Parachute Games: John and Jenny Farley organised.
  • T-Shirt Design: 60 sold on the day. Peter would like us to buy Fair Trade ones next year.
  • Firefighters: James agreed to attend but they were unavailable to come on the day.
  • Police/PCSO's: Adrian liaised with Brenda.
  • Wooden Tree: Donna attended.
  • Owl Man: Birds of Prey were very popular and the Group hope they can attend next year and do some flying with the birds.
  • Beekeeper: David attended. The Group received a donation from David.
  • Hedgehogs, etc.: Sue Charlton had agreed to attend but unfortunately was ill on the day.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs: Unavailable.
  • Bug Hunt: Subject to manpower and/or Steve Clavering attending. This didn't happen however the Group hope it can next year with more volunteers. Also need a quiz.
  • Bird Boxes: Mervyn organised. There awere also some bat boxes and bug boxes. The insect boxes sold very quickly. Mervyn insisted that the bird boxes are given a more central position next year as people like to watch the bird boxes being built.
  • Plants: Gladys and Joan organised. Plants were very popular and volunteers are encouraged to start growing plants from seed for next years event. The poppies were obtained from Redhall which were not used for the Chelsea Flower Show display.
  • Clay Modelling: Adrian organised. Very popular.
  • Woodcraft Folk: Attended.
  • Face Painters: 2 were confirmed, but only one turned up.
  • Turns/Timetable: Peter.
  • Roping Off: Peter.
  • Setting Up: Began 7.30am.
  • Animal Protection Stall: No, not suitable.
  • Herbal Medicine Stall: Declined.
  • Seven: No.
  • Conservation Area Committee: Attended.
  • Radish Stall: Attended. Radish donated £48 to the Group.
  • Gledhow Allotments: Attended. Adrian to ask if they can do something around what people can grow in containers in their own gardens. Some confusion over plant and rhubarb selling. The Group may need to co-ordinate better next year.
  • Wishing Tree: Lynne attended, with other people coming with her from the Transition Town Initiative. Very Successful. Traditional Towns signed up 60 new members on the day.
  • Straw Bales: Obtained with Jim's help.
  • Woodchip piles: Martin organise with Justin.
  • Entrance Gate: Paul and the scouts organised. Excellent.
  • Event Banner: Martin organised.

8. AOB

To be dealt with at the next meeting.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 10 Jul 2008
  • St Matthew's Fair - Sat 12 Jul 2008
  • Action Morning - Sat 12 Jul 2008
  • Heritage Open Day - Sun 14 Sep 2008 (12.00pm to 4.00pm)

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 03 Jul 2008. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)