All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
28th August 2008

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Adrian Coltman, Anne & Tony Spice.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th July 2008
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. 106 Grant Update
  6. Action Mornings
  1. FGVW Family FunDay 2008
  2. Heritage Open Day
  3. Gledhow Conservation Area Group
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Paul Ellis, Sian Dodderidge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th July 2008

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • St Matthew's Summer Fair
    Members of the Group attended St Matthews Summer Fair on Saturday 12 July. Total taken from the Squirrel Race game, donations, and the sale of merchandise, plants and bird boxes was £74.05.
  • Roundhay Farmers Market
    Members of the Group attended Roundhay Farmers Market on Saturday 19 July. Total taken from the Squirrel Race game, donations, and the sale of merchandise and bird boxes was £104.21.
  • Name Tags
    No progress to report.
  • Information Boards
    No progress to report.

4. Correspondence

Minutes of 23rd July meeting were received from the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group.

The Group has received details via e-mail on how to apply for MICE money. Adrian agreed to investigate.

The Group has been invited to a talk being given by David Pearson of the RSPB and arranged by Friends of Middleton Park. This will be on Tuesday 9th September at Roundhay St Johns School. It is free and open to everyone but contributions are welcome.

Mike has received a thank you letter from Paxton Hall Horticultural Society thanking him for his presentation on the work of the Group and information surrounding Gledhow Valley and the woods.

5. 106 Grant Update

Martin has e-mailed Justin to ask if the leftover money can be used to complete some extra work. No reply yet.

The Group are expecting a bulldozer to arrive shortly to create a diagonal sloping path near the jetty ready for the Action Morning in October.

6. Action Mornings

Next Action Mornings

  • Sunday 31st August
    Clearing the Bath House ready for the Heritage Open Day. The water pump will be used to clear the pool so that it can be cleaned thoroughly. A pile of chippings has also been donated by James Mudd so that the muddy path can be cleared and made more accessible. Three benches have been delivered. Installation will depend on volunteer numbers as these may be reduced by the Chapel Allerton Festival.
    Volunteers to meet at the Bath House.
  • Sunday 28th September
    Putting in benches, litter picking and path work near the meadow. Martin has applied for a grant with Northern Rail. If successful the Group will buy wildflowers and bulbs that can be planted at the Action Morning.
    Volunteers to meet in the meadow at the end of the lake on Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Saturday 25th October
    The jetty gabions will be done if the Council completes the initial work with the digger in August.
  • Sunday 30th November
    A new section of the path will be completed near the boggy area near Gledhow Lane.
  • Sunday 14th December
    Path work near the Gledhow Valley Road/Gledhow Valley Lane junction.

7. FGVW Family FunDay 2008

Adrian provided an update on the comments received from visitors to the FunDay on what they liked/disliked about the woods and any suggestions on what the would like the Group to do. There was a wide range of topics and nothing particular stood out. People were concerned about quad bikes, litter, the road and the lake. There were comments for and against cycling and a suggestion to put discreet cycling route signs up in the woods. Adrian agreed to type up the comments for Adam to put on the web site.

8. Heritage Open Day

The Group agreed to open the Bath House on Sunday 14th September between 12pm and 4pm. It was agreed to use 3 pop up gazebos.

Paul has copied the posters and they need distributing around the area. Adam agreed to create some flyers promoting the event for the Chapel Allerton Festival.

Volunteers to meet at 11am to set up. Home baking required. Joan has updated the Bath House notes with information from a bath house/follies researcher.

9. Gledhow Conservation Area Group

Anne Spice attended the meeting to update the Group on what the Gledhow Conservation Area Group has been doing. She explained that the Group had been running for 2 years and they had been busy getting themselves known and trying to obtain grants.

They have received a grant to fix a blue plaque to Gledhow Hall later this year. They are also going to concentrate on the green area outside Gledhow Hall by planting bulbs and installing a bench.

They are hoping to have a stall at Oakwood Farmers Market to promote themselves and Adam is hopefully producing an information leaflet for them. They have mapped out some guided walks for people to do and hope to extend this out to local schools.

This year the group attended the Friends' FunDay and Anne asked if they could have a bigger display area next year.

Their next meeting is on Sunday 7th September.

10. AOB

  • Fungus Foray
    The Fungus Foray will take place on Sunday 19th October.
  • PreVue Magazine
    A photo belonging to the Group has been printed in the Vue Cinema Magazine in an advertisement for the Leeds Community and City Pride Awards.
  • Phuser
    Paul has received details of Phuser, an easy private discussion site that the Group may wish to consider in the future. Adam investigated Phuser and explained its potential to the Group.
  • Green Container in the Horses Field
    A large green container has appeared in the Horses Field. The Group are concerned that this could be classed as a structure and may have implications for any proposed planning applications. The Gledhow Conservation Area Group agreed to look into this.
  • Drains
    Mervyn has been in contact with the council as someone was seen pouring waste from a concrete mixer down the drains. Peter agreed to check if anything had been done.
  • Highways Commission
    Adrian attended a site visit with the highways commission regarding the safety of pedestrians walking under the bridge at little Switzerland. It was noted that cars drive on the pavement in that area but it was not considered to be a high priority. The use of crossings on Gledhow Road is also still under consideration.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 31 Aug 2008
  • Heritage Open Day - Sun 14 Sep 2008 (12.00pm-4.00pm)
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 25 Sep 2008 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 28 Sep 2008
  • Fungus Foray - Sun 19 Oct 2008
  • Action Morning - Sat 25 Oct 2008
  • Action Morning - Sun 30 Nov 2008
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Dec 2008

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 25 Sep 2008. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)