< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th January 2009
Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Martin Calvert, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Paul Ellis, Christine Osborne (Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group).
1. Apologies for Absence
Mike apologised for his cardigan!
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 11th December 2008
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Horses' Field
Horses were seen in the Horses' Field over Christmas but these have since been removed.
Minutes from the last meeting held by the Gledhow Valley Conservation Group were received.
5. Action Mornings
Next Action Mornings
- Sunday 11th January
Continue with the path work started at last month's Action Morning. 8 tons of stone to be delivered for path work and topping up. There is some debris to remove and Martin and Mervyn agreed to look at some of the steps to assess what work needed to be done. Volunteers to meet at the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Lane.
- Sunday 8th February
Two benches may be put in if they are delivered in time, otherwise this will take place during the Action Morning in March. A boardwalk needs building and some cutting back needs to be done near Allerton Grange Way. Mervyn also suggested looking at clearing the path near the sub-station as it is overgrown and the width of the path is considerably reduced. Volunteers to meet by the gas sub-station near Allerton Grange Way.
- Saturday 7th March
- Sunday 5th April
6. FunDay 2009
The 10th Annual FGVW FunDay will be on Saturday 13th June 2009.
Martin asked the Group to start thinking about who they would like to invite and to start contacting people to see if they were available and to obtain quotes. Martin suggested getting a brass band this year and to consider not hiring a large marquee.
Mervyn suggested buying two large gazebos. Martin agreed to contact Urban Circus, Daftasadrum and the Storyteller and Adam agreed to contact the Birds of Prey. The Group agreed to apply for a grant from the Floral Fund.
Martin to contact Emma Trickett at Leeds City Council to obtain permission for the event to go ahead. Adam agreed to do the raffle. Joan asked everyone to start growing plants. The Group agreed to look into the price of diesel generators. Christine suggested contacting Bob Bowman regarding police dogs.
7. Projects for Funding
Adrian asked the Group to pin down some specific projects so that he could apply for funding. Suggestions included:
Adrian agreed to work on a bid and see what might be possible.
- Repairing/replacing steps, replacing sleepers and installing handrails.
- Re-working the path along the top of the woods near Gledhow House.
- Sign-posting walks in the woods.
- Duck identification boards near the jetty.
- Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group
Christine attended the meeting and discussed the following issues:
- Her Group has received funding from Healthy Leeds and this will be used to arrange guided walks and do walking trails in the area including the woods.
- A blue plaque ceremony for Gledhow House will be held on 7th February. If anyone would like to attend please e-mail email@example.com
- Christine has been looking at the area around Gledhow Close and entrances into the woodland. There used to be a clear distinction between the formal gardens and the woodland but this has been lost due to becoming overgrown. She has contacted Groundwork for advice on this. She suggested looking at providing a gateway to the lodge, narrowing the entrance to prevent quad bikes getting into the woods and making it a formal entrance into the woods again.
- The Conservation Area Group has received funding for a new bench and to repair an existing one. They are also looking at information boards in the area so the two Groups need to work together for consistency.
- Christine raised the issue of children and parents making camps, including camp fires, in the woods during school hours.
- She also highlighted a problem with the poor condition of the railings running along the back of the woods. The group agreed that this was the responsibility of the Council as it involved property boundaries, etc.
The Group has bought more gloves, vests and safety glasses. More Safety boots can be ordered if necessary.
- Bench Installation
The Group agreed at a previous meeting to install a bench in memory of Dorothy Carter's daughter. Martin agreed to order the bench and Joan is going to contact Dorothy regarding the wording for the plaque.
- Dangerous Steps
Joan had a bad fall on the steep steps in the woods and fractured her arm. The Group agreed to look at the steps and decide what work could be done to make them safer.
- Drain Blockage
The Council-installed drainage pipe under the carriageway path near the lake is now blocked by leaves and debris and has become dangerous. Mervyn suggested building a cover to try and prevent it from becoming blocked.
- Comments on the Jetty
Joan and Mervyn have received excellent feedback from two independent sources on the jetty.
- Water Boiler
The Group has bought a boiler to be used to boil water at Action Mornings and the FunDay.
- Dangerous Spikes
The metal fence spikes have been removed from the area near the (unofficial) rope swing making it safer.
Martin and Peter have been working to cut back the rhododendrons in the woods.
- Mike's Talk
Mike is giving a talk on the Group's work to The Colton Whitkirk & District Gardeners Association on 13th January at Colton Methodist Church. There is an opportunity to sell bird boxes.
Paul provided an update on the Group's finances. There is over £8,500 in the deposit account and over £2,700 in the normal account. This includes some of the Area Committee money. Adrian suggested using some of the money to improve the steep steps, and on path work. Martin agreed to arrange a site visit with Bob to discuss the whole area.
8. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 11 Jan 2009
- AGM - Fri 30 Jan 2009
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 5 Feb 2009 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 8 Feb 2009
- Action Morning - Sat 7 Mar 2009
- Action Morning - Sun 5 Apr 2009
- FunDay - Sat 13 Jun 2009