All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
6th May 2009

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Peter Foulston.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 1st April 2009
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FunDay 2009
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Mike Betteridge, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Paul Ellis, Adrian Coltman.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 1st April 2009

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Laurel Issues
    Steve Joul and Steve Clavering agreed to look at the laurel to see what work needs doing. Martin to find out when this will happen.
  • Thank you Event
    Unfortunately no one was available to go to the "Thank You" event at the Leeds Civic Hall on Sunday 26th April. Martin sent apologies on behalf of the Group.
  • FGVW Coasters
    Adam e-mailed the Group with various photos to choose from for the coasters. The ones with the majority will be used. Adam to contact Radish and put in an order so hopefully they will be back in time for the FunDay.
  • Allotment Show
    Adrian attended the Allotment Show on 4th April at the Methodist Hall.
  • Memorial Bench
    The plaque is due to be put on the bench dedicated to Dorothy's daughter.
  • Leaflets
    Adam has ordered 2,000 leaflets for approx £230, ready for the FunDay as we are running out. Some changes have been made including marking more benches on the map.

4. Correspondence

An e-mail was received from John Duffy with an article concerning red kites in Leeds.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 5th April
    There was a good turnout for April's Action Morning, including members from the Art of Living Foundation.

Next Action Mornings

  • Sunday 10th May
    The Council footpath needs edging and the stone can be used up. Some planting and chipping to be completed. Meet at the old car park on Gledhow Valley Road opposite Gledhow Park Drive.

There will be no Action Morning in June due to the FunDay. Martin agreed to set the dates for the rest of the year and e-mail the Group.

6. FunDay 2009

The FunDay will be on Saturday 13th June 2009.

  • Permission LCC - Sent letter to Fred Duff . Going ahead as a LCC event under Emma Trickett.
  • Emma Trickett - In attendance. Elaine Hill also in attendance as a volunteer. Need to fund 36 tables and 50 chairs, and 2 toilets. 6 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
  • New Manager at Potternewton Park (ex John Casey) - To be informed. Martin Calvert to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - Martin Calvert to liaise with Emma.
  • Grants Area Committee - £500 applied for.
  • Posters - 80xA4 Peter to print?
  • Programme - Adam, Peter and Adrian. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 6000 needed. Photocopying Paul, Adrian, and Elaine? Schools: Chapel A, St Matthews, Alcuin, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie and Talbot for the first time.
  • Guillotine - Phil to guillotine leaflets?
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - Adrian to try and ensure we get mentioned.
  • Refreshments - Tescos £10, waiting for Sainsburys and Somerfield. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
  • Gazebos - 9x(9x3) large ,10x(3x3) pop up (2 new ones bought recently), Phil's Scout Tent?, Need to check where they are stored. New 6mx6m marquee to discuss, to be our main marquee.
  • P.A. system - Pete to hire then we don't need to use our generator.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Invited and replied to Martin.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed, Clifton & Lightcliffe Brass Band confirmed. Urban Circus confirmed.
  • LCC Forestry - Not invited yet and Dale the Chainsaw man coming subject to arrival of new baby.
  • Raffle - Adam.
  • Hunt the Bear - Adam.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley confirmed Joan Adrian providing parachute.
  • T-shirt Design - 60 sold on the day last year. Still to purchase new ones.
  • Firefighters - Invited by Adrian.
  • Police/PCSOs - Invited by Adrian.
  • Woodland Friends - Donna?
  • Birds of Prey - Accepted.
  • Beekeeper - David accepted.
  • Sue Charlton - Accepted.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted!
  • Bug Hunt - Subject to manpower.
  • Lion Learners - Available from 3.00pm.
  • Bird Boxes - Mervyn.
  • Plants for Sale - Gladys.
  • Clay Modelling - Need a volunteer to run!
  • Woodcraft Folk - Adrian inviting.
  • Face Painters - 1 confirmed by Martin.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 0730am sharp please.
  • Radish - Confirmed by Adam.
  • Gledhow Allotments - Not sure?
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne?
  • Gledhow Conservation Area - Confirmed by Adam.
  • Moortown Community Group - Not sure?
  • Environmental Services - Not sure?
  • Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
  • Woodchip Piles - Martin to ask Emma.
  • Entrance Banner - Paul?

Martin is still waiting to hear if the Group has been successful in obtaining a Floral Fund Grant of £500.

The Group discussed the benefits of buying a marquee from Gala Tent. Gledhow School has expressed interest in paying half of the money so that it can be jointly owned for events. The Group agreed providing that a document was drawn up regarding the ownership and what would happen in the even of a loan to a third party.

Martin currently collecting quotes for hiring tables and chairs.

Adam received an e-mail from Sameena Mir regarding a food stall based on Asian cuisine at the FunDay. Peter agreed to respond and outline our position regarding food sales.

Martin agreed to set the dates for meetings to discuss final preparations for the Fun Day and leaflet/poster distribution.

7. AOB

  • Disney Volunteers
    Adam has been in contact with the Leeds Disney Store. They are interested in doing some volunteer work in the woods. Adam has put them in contact with Martin to discuss arrangements. They have also provided some leaf identification books to give out to children at Action Mornings and/or the FunDay.

8. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 10 May 2009
  • FunDay Meetings - TBC (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Core Group Meeting - TBC (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • FunDay - Sat 13 Jun 2009

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 25 May 2009. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)