All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
29th June 2009

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Peter Foulston, Mike Betteridge, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Paul Ellis.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th May 2009
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FunDay 2009
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Claire Standish, Anthony Rouse.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th May 2009

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • None

4. Correspondence

E-mails were received providing positive comments on the FunDay.

5. Action Mornings

Next Action Mornings

  • Sunday 5th July
    There is a bench to put in, although the location has not been decided yet. Flowers to plant in the meadow. Litter picking. Some thinning needs to be done near the meadow and the rhododendrons need to be cut back.
    Joan is going to ask Steve Johns or for another volunteer to take the tables, blue box, sign-in book, and fill the flasks for the Action Morning.
  • Saturday 8th August
    The steep steps will be looked at to see if they can be reduced in height. Martin to investigate getting some sleepers to help with this job. Alternatively, the Group plan to do some path edging. Volunteers to meet at the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Lane.
  • Sunday 6th September
    The Bath House will be cleared in time for the Open Heritage Day on 13th September.
  • Sunday 11th October
  • Sunday 15th November
  • Sunday 13th December

6. FunDay 2009

The FunDay took place on Saturday 13th June 2009.

The surplus plants were donated to other charity events. Gladys raised £347 for the Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and the remaining plants were sold at St Gemma's Hospice, raising £284.

  • Adrian and Adam received some very good feedback concerning the event.
  • The Group agreed that it was important to let people know that donations were crucial and would help to keep the event going and buy materials for work to be undertaken in the woods.
  • Martin thought that the refreshment tent had now probably reached it's peak as people only have so much they are willing to spend on food.
  • The Asian food provided by Sameena Mir was well received, but donations were disappointingly low. If included next year the Group felt that there should be suggested minimum donations.
  • More volunteers will be required at future events to do home baking, and more publicity required to encourage this.
  • The Group discussed the advantages and disadvantages of having an ice-cream van at the event. The Group cannot stop traders on the road so it was agreed that it would be better to specifically invite one and ask for a donation. Alternative ice cream sellers were also discussed.
  • There was an issue over only having one face painter, and there were long queues. This was due to the second face painter pulling out of the event at the last minute and a replacement being unavailable. The Group agreed to investigate who else might be available next year. One of the Group has a volunteer however there could be issues with lack of public liability insurance. It is unclear whether this is covered under the Group's own insurance policy, the individual's or the Council's. Risk assessments also need to be checked for face painters and bird box building.
  • Peter asked if we could buy Fair Trade T-shirts next year. In the past, these have been too expensive for the Group. Paul agreed to look into suppliers to see how much they would cost.
  • The Raffle was well supported by local businesses and Adam received good feedback from them regarding the Group's work in the woods. Martin thanked Adam for his work in scrounging the £900 worth of prizes.
  • Good comments were received regarding the Brass Band. Peter suggested that we should change the band each year and maybe go for something less traditional and with a bit of "edge". Claire is in a Samba band which could be considered.
  • Some litter was dropped in the bottom field as there was nowhere to put it. Mike suggested that stakes with rubbish bags could be put up next time to prevent this.
  • Mike also suggested more seating for the elderly, who find it difficult using the straw bales.
  • Amnesty from Joan for anyone who still has any name badges in their possession! Please pass any badges back to Joan by the end of July.
  • Mike thought that some of the images used on the FGVW display were poor quality. Mike has agreed to produce and print the images for the next event, covering the work the Group has done recently in the woods.
  • Seven new people joined the e-mail mailing list by completing forms on the day.
  • Paul suggested inviting the Lord Mayor of Leeds or a local celebrity to open the event next year.
  • The Daftasadrum raffle prize was donated back by the winner and has been given to the Methodist Centre Play Group.

Overall the Group agreed that it had been an extremely successful FunDay for all concerned.

7. AOB

  • Colton Gardens
    Mike is doing a walk with the Colton Gardens Group in the woods on Tuesday night for £2 per head. The Bath House will also be opened.
  • Strimmed Path
    A path has been made with the strimmer through the meadow.
  • St Matthew's Fair
    The Group has a stall at St Matthew's Fair on Saturday 4th July. Martin agreed to get the notice boards from Emma and photo's from Adrian. Mervyn is going to fix the gazebo he has and pass to Adam. Mike will prepare any new photos needed for use on the day.
  • Friends of Adel Woods
    Roger from Friends of Adel Woods will be getting into contact with Martin regarding setting up a Group.
  • Heritage Open Day
    The Bath House will be open on Heritage Open Day on 13th September from 12 to 4pm.
  • Transition Initiative
    Peter updated the Group on the Transition Initiative. They are looking into creating a forest garden at the pastures and are investigating who owns the land.
  • Lake Full of Silt
    Mervyn mentioned the poor state of the lake and asked if the Group could challenge the owners to remove some of the silt.

8. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 5 Jul 2009
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 6 Aug 2009 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 8 Aug 2009
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 3 Sep 2009 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 6 Sep 2009
  • Open Heritage Day - Sun 13 Sep 2009 (12-4pm)
  • Action Morning - Sun 11 Oct 2009
  • Action Morning - Sun 15 Nov 2009
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Dec 2009
  • FunDay 2010 - Sat 12 Jun 2010

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 06 Jul 2009. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)