< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
11th February 2010
Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Paul Ellis, Adam & Carol Bull, Peter Foulston.
1. Apologies for Absence
Mike Betteridge, Martin Calvert.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th December 2009
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Risk Assessments
Steve Clavering is looking into streamlining the risk assessments.
5. Action Mornings
Next Action Mornings
- Saturday 13 February 2010
4 tons of stone to be delivered. The path needs to be edged and the drainage looked at. There will also be some pruning and tree thinning. Volunteers to meet at the bottom of Gledhow Valley Lane.
- Sunday 7 March 2010
Various ideas were put forward by the Group including:
Re-do the steps and entrance near little Switzerland;
Work on the island, thinning out brambles and laurel before nesting season;
Clearing the carriageway for vehicle access so that work could be done on a path through the meadow.
The Group agreed that it was too much for one Action Morning so the proposal was to re-do the steps and clear the island. Volunteers to meet at the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road. A small party would then split off from the main group to do the island. Clearing saplings was also a possibility depending on numbers. It was agreed to look at the meadow path and carriageway in April.
- Sunday 11 April 2010
- Sunday 16 May 2010
6. Community & City Pride Awards
The Group won a Community & City Pride Award for their work on the jetty. Five members of the Group attended the award ceremony on 4th February at the Civic Hall and received a cheque on behalf of the Group for £300.
7. FunDay 2010
The FunDay will be on Saturday 19th June 2010.
- Permission LCC - Send letter to Fred Duff informing him of the event going ahead as a LCC event under Emma Trickett.
- Emma Trickett - Will be in attendance.
- Tables & Chairs - Need to fund 36 tables and 50 chairs, and 2 toilets. 6 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
- New Manager at Potternewton Park (ex John Casey) - To be informed. MC to liase re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
- Risk Assessments - MC to liase with Emma.
- Grants: Area Committee?
- Local Councillors?
- Posters - 60 A4 needed. Adam to design. Peter, Adrian, Paul to print?
- Programme - Adam, Peter. 400 needed.
- Flyers - 6,000 needed. Photocopying by Paul/ Adrian/Elaine? Christine distribution schools, Chapel A, St Matthew's, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie and Talbot (for the first time).
- Guillotine - Phil.
- Chapel Allerton Magazine - Adrian to contact with details.
- Refreshments - Martin to write to Tesco and Sainsburys. Adrian agreed to speak to the Co-Op. Ethnic food was discussed. Adam to contact Indie Ices.
Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
- Gazebos - 9 x (9x3) large, 10 x (3x3) pop-up, Phil's Scout Tent? Need to check where they are stored. New 6m x 6m marquee is our main marquee.
- P.A. System - Pete to hire.
- St John's Ambulance - Invited and confirmed by Martin, although the Group would like to invite the Red Cross instead. Need to contact Linda Kaye.
- Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. Urban Circus and circus skills - Peter to ask. Sambaband.
- LCC Forestry - Not invited yet.
- Dale the Chainsaw Man - Not invited yet.
- Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
- Hunt the Bear Game - Adam to organise.
- FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian to organise.
- Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley to be asked by Joan. Adrian providing parachute.
- T-Shirt Design - 60 sold on the day last year. Still to purchase.
- Firefighters - To be invited by Adrian.
- Police/PCSOs - To be invited by Adrian.
- Woodland Friends - Donna confirmed.
- Birds of Prey - Accepted.
- Beekeeper - David invited.
- Sue Charlton - To be invited by Martin.
- Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted.
- Bug Hunt - Emma Trickett to organise.
- Lion Learners - Confirmed from 1.30pm onwards, £100.
- Bird Boxes (or something else?) - Mervyn to organise.
- Plants for Sale - Gladys, Margaret.
- Clay Modelling - Agreed.
- Woodcraft Folk - To be invited by Adrian.
- Face Painters - 2 to invite by Martin. Joan also to discuss.
- Turns/Timetable - Peter to organise. Adam to produce printed timetable.
- Roping Off - Peter.
- Setting Up - From 7.30am sharp please.
- Radish - To be invited by Adam.
- Gledhow Allotments - To be invited by Adrian.
- Wishing Tree - Lynne?
- Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Adam to invite Christine.
- Environmental Services
- Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
- Woodchips - MC to ask Emma.
- Entrance Banner - Paul to organise.
- Leeds Urban Market - To be invited by Peter.
- REAP - To be invited by Paul.
- Jenga (or similar outdoor children's games) - Paul to investigate.
- Skelton Grange Environmental Group - To be invited by Adrian.
- Meanwood Urban Valley Farm
- Mayor to Open Event - To be invited by Adrian.
- FGVW Place Mats
The Group agreed that Adam could order more place mats.
- Suggestions for Action Mornings
Joan asked if an e-mail could go out to Group members to ask them what work they would like done in the woods. Adam to send out an e-mail to all members.
- Faulty Pump
The pump with the faulty cable has been fixed.
- Winter Photo Competition
Adam has received some photos showing snowy scenes in the woods. The Group are desperately short of good winter photos to make into Christmas cards this year. The Group decided to hold a photo competition where the public could chose the winner at the FunDay. A prize would also be offered - Paul offered a bottle of organic wine from the Ecology Building Society.
9. Dates of Next Meetings
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 4 Mar 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 7 Mar 2010
- Action Morning - Sun 11 Apr 2010
- Action Morning - Sun 16 May 2010
- FunDay - Sat 19 Jun 2010