< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th April 2010
Present: Joan Clayton (Acting Chair), Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston and Paul Ellis. Charlotte Parkin and Bhupinder Dev from the Friends of Allerton Grange also attended. Martin Calvert attended later.
1. Apologies for Absence
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 4th March 2010
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- FGVW Celebration Evening
Feedback on the evening held for all Group members and volunteers at the Three Hulats on Friday 26 March was good. The Group felt it was good to say thank you to volunteers for all their hard work.
- St Matthew's Easter Fair
Adam and Carol spoke to lots of local residents about the Group and raised £86.40 from selling merchandise and the lollipop game. £10 was donated to St Matthew's Fair for the stall.
- Leeds Probus
Mike gave a well-received talk on FGVW to Leeds Probus and received £36 in donations.
Minutes of the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group (GVCAG) Meeting.
Details of the Oakwood in Bloom meeting which was on Wednesday 7 April.
Adam received an e-mail asking for information on anti-aircraft guns that were once in the area. Adam passed the question out to everyone on the FGVW e-mail mailing lost and has so far received two responses.
5. Action Mornings
- Sunday 7 March 2010
The Weatherspoons Management Team attended and did beech thinning and dust spreading at the jetty. The Group has received positive feedback from the event on how much the team enjoyed doing the work.
Future Action Mornings
- Sunday 7 March 2010
There will be six managers from Wetherspoons coming to help, along with Graham and Maria, managers of the Three Hulats. The Group expects to be doing some beech thinning. Mervyn and Adam Wilks to do some preparation work on Saturday.
- Sunday 11 April 2010
Work to do on the steps, beech thinning, drainage, path work and ditch digging. There are some flowers to plant and some chippings to do if a lot of children come.
- Sunday 16 May 2010
Work will depend on what needs finishing off from April's Action Morning. Please meet at the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Lane.
6. FunDay 2010
The FunDay will be on Saturday 19 June 2010.
- Permission LCC - Send letter to Fred Duff informing him of the event going ahead as a LCC event under Emma Trickett.
- Emma Trickett - Will be in attendance.
- Tables & Chairs - 36 tables, 50 chairs, and 2 toilets have been requested from the same company as last year. 6 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
- New Manager at Potternewton Park (ex John Casey) - To be informed. MC to liase re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
- Risk Assessments - MC to liase with Emma.
- Grants: Area Committee - Floral Fund: Martin has applied but we may not get any funding from them this year. Adrian to apply for an Area Committee Grant.
- Local Councillors?
- Posters - 60 A4 needed. Adam to design. Peter, Adrian, Paul to print?
- Programme - Adam, Peter. 400 needed.
- Flyers - 6,000 needed. Photocopying by Paul/Adrian/Elaine? Christine distribution schools, Chapel A, St Matthew's, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie and Talbot (for the first time).
- Guillotine - Phil.
- Chapel Allerton Magazine - Adrian to contact with details.
- Refreshments - Martin to write to Tesco and Sainsburys. Adrian agreed to speak to the Co-Op. Ethnic food was discussed. Indie Ices has confirmed. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
- Gazebos - 9 x (9x3) large, 10 x (3x3) pop-up, Phil's Scout Tent? Need to check where they are stored. Adrian, Paul, Steve? New 6m x 6m marquee is our main marquee.
- P.A. System - Pete to hire.
- St Johns Ambulance - Invited and confirmed by Martin, although the Group would like to invite the Red Cross instead. Need to contact Linda Kaye.
- Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. Urban Circus and circus skills - Peter hasn't been able to get in contact with him. It may not be an issue if they do not attend as the Samba Tigers are willing to do more slots for shorter periods of time. Samba Tigers £325 (The Group expect the band to play for 2 hours in 30 minutes slots).
- LCC Forestry - Not invited yet.
- Dale the Chainsaw Man - Not invited yet.
- Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
- Hunt the Bear Game - Adam to organise.
- FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian to organise.
- Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley to be asked by Joan. Adrian providing parachute.
- T-Shirt Design - 60 sold on the day last year. Still to purchase.
- Firefighters - Confirmed by Adrian.
- Police/PCSOs - To be invited by Adrian. Peter has been in contact with Phil Briskham who has asked if he can bring leaflets with him about the PCSOs and the work they do.
- Woodland Friends - Donna confirmed.
- Birds of Prey - Accepted.
- Beekeeper - David accepted.
- Sue Charlton - Accepted.
- Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted.
- Bug Hunt - Emma Trickett to organise.
- Lion Learners - Confirmed from 1.30pm onwards, £100.
- Bird Boxes (or something else) - Mervyn to organise.
- Plants for Sale - Gladys, Margaret.
- Clay Modelling - Agreed.
- Woodcraft Folk - To be invited by Adrian.
- Face Painters - 1 plus an apprentice confirmed.
- Turns/Timetable - Peter to organise. Adam to produce printed timetable.
- Roping Off - Peter.
- Setting Up - From 7.00am sharp please.
- Radish - Confirmed.
- Gledhow Allotments - To be invited by Adrian.
- Wishing Tree - Lynne unable to attend.
- Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Confirmed.
- Environmental Services - Martin.
- Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
- Woodchips - MC to ask Emma.
- Entrance Banner - Paul to organise.
- Leeds Urban Market - To be invited by Peter.
- REAP - To be invited by Paul.
- Jenga (or similar outdoor children's games) - Paul to investigate.
- Skelton Grange Environmental Group - To be invited by Adrian.
- Meanwood Urban Valley Farm
- Mayor to Open Event - Lord Mayor of Leeds will attended between 2 and 3pm.
- Indie Ices - Confirmed.
- Ice Cream Van - To be supplied by Claire.
- Shelgate - Recycling demonstrations.
- Friends of Allerton Grange - Confirmed.
Adam to order more FGVW coasters ready for the FunDay.
Five entries have been received so far for the Winter Photo Competition. The winner will be chosen from a short list at the FunDay by the local residents.
7. Friends of Allerton Grange
Charlotte Parkin and Bhupinder Dev attended the meeting and gave an interesting talk on the work their Group is doing in the Allerton Grange area particularly around the new and old school locations. The Group was started last year when work began on the new Allerton Grange School as residents were concerned over potential increases in litter, traffic issues and anti-social behaviour.
The Friends have been working with local residents, police, and schools. The green space where the original school was demolished was handed back to the Council in June. The Group are consulting local residents to gather opinions on what the land should be used for. It currently contains several football pitches but there is a call for the land to be a multi-purpose recreational area. There is also a call for a toddler (under 5s) area as the one near Talbot Primary School has been lost.
The Friends explained that the area had historical links with Kirkstall Abbey and that the fields help form a natural green corridor connection to Gledhow Valley Woods. There is an opportunity to do more planting along the side of the school and an opportunity for biodiversity.
The area affects both Roundhay and Moortown Wards. The Friends:
- Asked FGVW to raise awareness of their campaign;
- Asked to link up with our website;
- Welcomed members of the Group to attend their meetings;
- Asked for Group members to provide input and consultation on ideas.
The Group invited the Friends of Allerton Grange to their FunDay so that they could get ideas from local residents on what to do with the Green Space.
- Lake Manhole Damage
Someone has deliberately blocked up the manhole with bags of rubbish causing the lake to flood and not perform effectively as a balancing lake. The authorities are currently looking into this.
- Thank You to Mrs Hudd
Mrs Hudd has supported the Group with donations on a regular basis over several years and the Group discussed ways of thanking her for her generosity.
- Wall Near Old Car Park
The wall is in a poor state of repair with several bricks missing. Martin agreed to find out who is responsible for any repair work.
- Step Repairs Needed
Some remedial work is needed to repair some steps in the woods. Three of them are missing and the Group discussed levelling steps to make access easier.
- A Passionate Woman
A Passionate Woman will be shown on BBC1 at 9pm for two consecutive Sundays. Filming took place in Adrian Coltman's house and in the local area.
- St Matthew's Summer Fair
St Matthew's has invited the Group to their Fair on 26 June. Unfortunately no volunteers are available for this event.
9. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 11 Apr 2010
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 13 Apr 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 16 May 2010
- FunDay - Sat 19 Jun 2010