All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
13th May 2010

Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Mike Betteridge, Trevor & Diane Kitto.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th April 2010
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FunDay 2010
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th April 2010

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Anti-Aircraft Guns
    Adrian agreed to try and track down a speaker they had at school who may be able to provide the Group with more information on this.
  • Thank You Gift
    Adam provided Joan with a set of FGVW place mats, coasters and greetings cards as a thank you gift for Mrs Hudd who generously supports the FGVW.

4. Correspondence

Press Release on the problems with the lake being drained by vandals. The article discussed the threat to wildlife.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 11 April 2010
    Work was started on the steps and over 30 volunteers attended.

Future Action Mornings

  • Sunday 16 May 2010
    Phase two of the steps. 400 wildflower plugs to plant in the meadow and Iris for the boggy area. Please meet at the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Lane.
  • Saturday 3 July 2010 (TBC)
  • Sunday 12 September 2010 (Bath House)
  • Saturday 16 October 2010
  • Saturday 13 November 2010
  • Sunday 12 December 2010

6. FunDay 2010

The FunDay will be on Saturday 19 June 2010.

  • Permission LCC - Send letter to Fred Duff informing him of the event going ahead as a LCC event under Emma Trickett.
  • Emma Trickett - Will be in attendance.
  • Tables & Chairs - 36 tables, 50 chairs, and 2 toilets have been requested from the same company as last year. 6 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
  • New Manager at Potternewton Park (ex John Casey) - To be informed. MC to liase re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - MC to liase with Emma.
  • Grants Area Committee - Floral Fund: Martin has applied but we may not get any funding from them this year. Adrian to apply for an Area Committee Grant.
  • Local Councillors? - Mike has invited Fabian Hamilton to the event. Martin suggested inviting all 9 Councillors which Mike has agreed to do.
  • Posters - 60 A4 needed. Adam to design. Peter, Adrian, Paul to print?
  • Programme - Adam, Peter. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 6,000 needed. Photocopying by Paul/Adrian/Elaine? Christine Distribution Schools, Chapel A, St Matthew's, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie and Talbot (for the first time).
  • Guillotine - Phil.
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - Adrian to contact with details.
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to Tesco and Sainsburys. Adrian agreed to speak to the Co-Op. Ethnic food was discussed. Indie Ices has confirmed. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
  • Gazebos - 9 x (9x3) large, 10 x (3x3) pop-up, Phil's Scout Tent? Need to check where they are stored. Adrian, Paul, Steve? New 6m x 6m marquee is our main marquee.
  • P.A. System - Pete to hire.
  • St Johns Ambulance - Invited and confirmed by Martin, although the Group would like to invite the Red Cross instead. Need to contact Linda Kaye.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. Urban Circus and circus skills - declined.
  • LCC Forestry - Not invited yet.
  • Dale the Chainsaw Man - Not invited yet.
  • Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise.
  • Hunt the Bear Game - Adam to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian to organise.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley to be asked by Joan. Adrian providing parachute.
  • T-Shirt Design - 60 sold on the day last year. Still to purchase.
  • Firefighters - Confirmed by Adrian, dependant on operational requirements.
  • Police/PCSOs - Adrian has left messages but not confirmed yet. Peter has been in contact with Phil Briskham who has asked if he can bring leaflets with him about the PCSOs and the work they do.
  • Woodland Friends - Donna confirmed.
  • Birds of Prey - Accepted.
  • Beekeeper - David accepted.
  • Sue Charlton - Accepted.
  • Hedgehog Lady - Accepted.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted.
  • Bug Hunt - Emma Trickett to organise.
  • Lion Learners - Confirmed from 1.30pm onwards, £100.
  • Bird Boxes (or something else) - Mervyn to organise.
  • Plants for Sale - Gladys, Margaret.
  • Clay Modelling - Agreed.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Invited by Adrian but not confirmed.
  • Face Painters - 1 plus an apprentice confirmed.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter to organise. Adam to produce printed timetable.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 7.00am sharp please.
  • Radish - Confirmed.
  • Gledhow Allotments - To be invited by Adrian.
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne unable to attend.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Confirmed.
  • Environmental Services - Martin
  • Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
  • Woodchips - MC to ask Emma.
  • Entrance Banner - Paul to organise with the Scouts.
  • Leeds Urban Market - To be invited by Peter.
  • REAP - To be invited by Paul.
  • Jenga (or similar outdoor children's games) - Paul to investigate.
  • Skelton Grange Environmental Group - To be invited by Adrian.
  • BTCV
  • Meanwood Urban Valley Farm
  • Mayor to Open Event - Lord Mayor of Leeds will attend between 2 and 3pm. Adrian has received a form to fill in on what the Mayor will be expected to do at the event.
  • Indie Ices - Confirmed.
  • Ice Cream Van - To be supplied by Claire.
  • Shelgate - Recycling demonstrations.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - Confirmed.

More raffle books and volunteers are needed to sell Raffle tickets at the FunDay. Adam has bought some more books. We may need to split the books up due to colour limitations.

A special FunDay meeting will take place on Friday 21st May at 8pm at Gledhow Sports Club.

7. AOB

  • Probation Workers
    The probation workers have done some excellent work in the woods and clearing the pavements. Mike is going to write to Brenda Lancaster to thank them on behalf of the Group.
  • St Matthew's Summer Fair
    The St Matthew's Summer Fair has been cancelled. The Group has been invited to their Strawberry Fair on 17 July instead.
  • 3 Hulats' Farmers Market
    The Group has been asked if they would like to attend on 30 May.
  • Swans on the Lake
    A pair of swans has returned to the lake and are nesting.
  • Drainage
    There is a problem with the small drain built under the path near the lake by the Council. It is three quarters full of silt and the Group are considering clearing it and maybe putting a cover over it before it blocks up completely and damages the path.
  • Wooden Barriers
    The wooden barriers at the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Allerton Grange have been badly damaged. Joan has contacted the Council who has repaired some in the area but not these. She will chase them up.
  • Japanese Knotweed
    The Japanese Knotweed has returned and is a lot worse this year. The Group agreed to contact the Council to see if it could be sprayed again.
  • FGVW Funds
    Paul has asked if some of the £4,000 in the current account can be moved into the savings account. The Group decided to wait until after the FunDay in case money is needed due to lack of grants.

8. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 16 May 2010
  • FunDay Meeting - Fri 21 May 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • FunDay - Sat 19 Jun 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 1 Jul 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club) (TBC)
  • Action Morning - Sat 3 Jul 2010 (TBC)
  • Open Heritage Day - Sun 12 Sep 2010 (Bath House)
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 14 Oct 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 16 Oct 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 11 Nov 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 13 Nov 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 9 Dec 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 12 Dec 2010

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 19 May 2010. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)