All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th July 2010

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mike Betteridge, Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 1st July 2010
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FunDay 2010 Review
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence


2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 1st July 2010

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

Will be dealt with at next meeting.

4. Correspondence

Will be dealt with at next meeting.

5. Action Mornings

Will be dealt with at next meeting.

6. FunDay 2010 Review

The FunDay was held on Saturday 19 June 2010.

  • Emma Trickett - Emma was very happy with the way the event had gone and been organised especially in relation to risk assessments being completed by each of the attendees.
  • New Manager at Potternewton Park - Julian was happy to continue supporting the Group and provided fire extinguishers for the day.
  • Grants - No grants were received to support the FunDay this year.
  • Local Councillors - Mike invited all 9 Councillors but only one attended. This was very disappointing.
  • Posters - It was agreed that 60 was a good number but Joan suggested doing a few A3 copies next year.
  • Programmes - Not a success. Joan fed back to the Group that the programmes were not really wanted by people attending the event. Suggestions for next year included putting information for future Action Mornings and the Heritage Open Day on the back of the flyers and promoting the businesses providing raffles prizes more prominently at the FGVW Display.
  • Flyers - 6,000 copies were OK, and distributing to the schools worked well. Refreshments - Martin wrote to Tesco, Lidl and Sainsburys. Adrian agreed to speak to the Co-Op. No responses or donations from any of the local supermarkets were received this year.
  • Gazebos - One of the new gazebos was damaged due to the high winds.
  • P.A. System - Adequate.
  • St Johns Ambulance - St Johns Ambulance had to help one member of the community. The Group decided to invite the Red Cross next year.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum would like 20 chairs next year. Samba Tigers were well received due to their enthusiasm at getting the community to join in, but not from a listening to music point of view. The Group will continue to look at alternative bands as in previous years. The Magician was very popular, especially with the children.
  • Raffle - Adam obtained over £1,000 worth of prizes from local businesses. £498 was raised. The similarity of raffle ticket colours caused some confusion during the draw. Suggestions for next year included tearing books in half so that fewer different colours would be needed.
  • Hunt the Bear Game - Successfully raised £59.50.
  • FGVW Display - Most people know about the Group now and what we do. Adrian suggested moving the display to the centre of the arena with the emphasis on how people can get involved and what is happening rather than what the Group do. Also Joan suggested that she should stand in the middle near the display so that volunteers knew where she was.
  • Parachute Games - Complaints that this was advertised but not done on the day due to last minute problem with volunteers. The Group decided to take the parachute to the FunDay next year and find volunteers on the day if necessary.
  • T-Shirt Design - Some T-Shirts left over.
  • Firefighters - Attended briefly but had to leave due to an emergency.
  • Woodland Friends - Donna did very well this year but has confirmed that she will be unable to continue with this event in future years.
  • Birds of Prey - Were very popular, as previously.
  • Beekeeper - Was very popular and answered lots of questions on beekeeping.
  • Lion Learners - The millipede, cockroaches and fluffy animals were very popular.
  • Bird Boxes (and/or bird feeders) - The bug boxes went very quickly and 30 bird boxes were sold/made.
  • Plants for Sale - The plat stall was extremely popular. Leftover plants were given to other local charities to raise money for their causes, including St Gemma's Hospice.
  • Clay Modelling - Needs someone to supervise and run it next year.
  • Skelton Grange Environmental Group - Replaced the Woodcraft Folk.
  • Face Painters - Only 1 confirmed. The Group will aim to get 2 again next year.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group/ Friends of Allerton Grange - There was a suggestion to ask for a donation from these Groups next year to help towards the cost of tables, chairs, etc.
  • Straw Bales - 16 were used and given to the Horse and Donkey sanctuary afterwards. Used as seating during the event, the bales were very popular.
  • Mayor to Attend Event - Lord Mayor of Leeds attended the event and spoke to many of the volunteers and local people. The Group agreed to invite him again next year.
  • Indie Ices/Ice Cream Van - Both popular but might have lessened the takings made by the Groups own refreshments tent. The Group agreed to just have one next year.
  • Hot Water - The method of boiling water in a volunteer's garage and carrying it to the event regularly throughout the afternoon was successful, but more volunteers were needed.
  • Banner - The Group agreed that at least one generic FGVW banner is needed to promote the Group to people attending the event once inside the arena.
  • Refreshments - Requested more volunteers for next year.
  • Merchandise - £148.50 was raised through selling FGVW merchandise.
  • Donations - A donation of £200 was generously given to the Group.

Paul provided a breakdown of the costs involved in putting on the FunDay and the money received from the event. Despite not receiving any grants the FunDay was able to support itself and provide a small profit for use in the woods and on future activities.

Volunteers normally have drinks and a barbeque after the event however, it is a very tiring day and a suggestion was made to move the celebration to the Sunday afternoon following the event next year.

The next FunDay will be on 11 June 2011.

7. AOB

Will be dealt with at next meeting.

8. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 2 Sep 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 5 Sep 2010 (Bath House)
  • Open Heritage Day - Sun 12 Sep 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 14 Oct 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 17 Oct 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 11 Nov 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Nov 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 9 Dec 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 12 Dec 2010
  • Annual FunDay 2011 - Sat 11 Jun 2011

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 13 Jul 2010. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)