All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
11th November 2010

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Adrian Coltman, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Paul Ellis.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 14th October 2010
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. FGVW Christmas Cards & Coming Events
  2. Meadow
  3. Combined Sewage Overflows (CSOs)
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston, Geoff Gilbert.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 14th October 2010

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

    Martin to contact the Three Hulats pub regarding holding our AGM there in January 2011.

4. Correspondence

The Group has received confirmation from the forestry commission that they will be able to lift the crowns of the trees around the meadow, however this is unlikely to be done very soon. Jim Mudd has also offered to do this for us. Martin wrote to the Council on 14 October, and work can go ahead if there is no negative response within 6 weeks.

Community Spaces has written to the Group confirming that the grant application that the Group agreed to support for the Groundwork proposals at Brackenwoods has been sent in.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 17 October
    36 volunteers attended the Action Morning. Decking was put down near to Little Switzerland but there is still work to do in this area at a future Action Morning.

There was also an extra Action Morning during half term as the stone and dust due to be delivered in time for the 17 October arrived later on in the week. Future Action Mornings

  • Sunday 14 November
    There are plenty of small jobs to do depending on the number of volunteers that attend. Chippings need spreading and there are some bushes and bulbs to plant. The Group are also going to assess the work needed to restore the carriageway and improve access. Volunteers to meet at the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Sunday 12 December
    Work will start on restoring the carriageway. The stream needs to be diverted. There is also a lot of path work and clearing to do at the top of the carriageway. Laurel may also need trimming on the island. Volunteers to meet at the old car park opposite Gledhow Park Drive.

Martin is going to put a draft plan together on work to do during next year's Action Mornings.

6. FGVW Christmas Cards & Coming Events

The Group will be selling FGVW Christmas cards and merchandise at the following events:

  • Sat 20 Nov - Oakwood Farmers Market
  • Sat 27 Nov - St Matthew's Christmas Fair
  • Sun 28 Nov - Three Hulats Farmers Market
  • Sun 19 Dec - Three Hulats Farmers Market

Adam and Carol will be manning the stalls at all 4 events, with help from Joan, Mervyn and anyone else who is able to come.

Joan and Diane have been very proactive in selling packs of Christmas cards and have sold 72 packs to date generating £180. Adam has also sold £90 worth of cards to Radish in Chapel Allerton.

Packs of cards were distributed at the meeting and all members are encouraged to sell them to raise money for projects next year.

There was some discussion over what to do with the old style cards. These will continue to be sold at the usual price of £2.50 per pack until further notice.

7. Meadow

The meadow has been strimmed and raked. Martin suggested that the Group buy an Allen Scythe to make the job easier, and the Group agreed.

8. Combined Sewage Overflows (CSOs)

The CSOs are becoming blocked all the time and not just during heavy rainfall. Joan has been reporting the problem to various reporting lines but nothing seems to be happening. Yorkshire Water has known about the problem for a while now. During October the problem became worse with the grid getting blocked allowing sewage to flow down Gledhow Valley Road.

Joan has written to various people including Elaine Hill, Joe Smallman and Brenda Lancaster amongst others. Elaine Hill, the Environmental Officer, has done a site visit. Adrian has arranged for a site visit from Yorkshire Water. Their Pollution Officer is going to meet with members of the Group and possibly attend the next meeting. Joan to agree a date with them.

9. AOB

  • Elberry Cove Bath House
    Adrian visited the Elberry Cove Bath House in South Devon during his holidays. This belongs to the National Trust as part of the Greenway Estate. Adrian was very enthusiastic about this bath house which fills with tidal water and was able to swap stories with regarding our own Gipton Spa bath house.
  • Insurance
    Paul has renewed our insurance for another year. The only change is the addition of a marquee.
  • Old Photograph of Gledhow Hall
    Adam has received an old photograph showing a group of people outside Gledhow Hall in 1920-21. He is trying to find out the story behind it. The Group did not know so he agreed to put it on the website to see if anyone could shed any light on the mystery.
  • New Greetings Cards
    Andrew Ramsey sent Adam a sample of two of the cards he produces showing pictures of Gledhow Valley Woods to see if we wanted to sell them. The Group discussed this but had concerns over conflict with selling our own cards, which we have already paid for.
    There have also been numerous requests for a card showing bluebells. Adam to investigate costs and if this is possible to do.
  • BTCV
    Residents have noticed large groups of children in the woods on a regular basis and witnessed them starting fires in the woods. Investigations revealed that BTCV had permission from Parks and Countryside to take groups of school children into the woods, teaching them woodcrafts and how to make fires. Complaints to Parks and Countryside from residents has led to them banning BCTV from starting fires in the woods. The walks will continue on Tuesdays for the remainder of the year.
  • Thank You
    The Group would like to thank Mrs Hood for her kind donation to the Group. Martin will write a thank you letter to her and Adam is going to produce a certificate to show how grateful the Group are.
    The Group would also like to thank Avril for use of water and electricity to clean the bath house at the recent Heritage Day. Members of the Group spent a few hours doing some odd-jobs for Avril to show our appreciation.
  • Goosanders
    Goosanders (diving ducks which are members of the sawbill family) have been seen on the lake this week. This is the first time they have been seen on the lake in eight years.
  • Risk Assessments & Volunteers Handbook
    Joan has received a copy of the Risk Assessments & Volunteers Handbook from Parks and Countryside. All volunteers should read the handbook and sign in/out during each Action Morning. Joan also needs to collect contact numbers in case of an emergency.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Nov 2010
  • Core Group Meeting - Tue 7 Dec 2010 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 12 Dec 2010
  • Family FunDay 2011 - Sat 11 Jun 2011

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 23 Nov 2010. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)