< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
7th December 2010
Present: Joan Clayton (Acting Chair), Adam & Carol Bull and Mervyn Clayton.
1. Apologies for Absence
Martin Calvert, Geoff Gilbert, Paul Ellis.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 11th November 2010
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- FGVW AGM
The AGM will be at the Three Hulats pub on Friday 4 February at 8pm. Everyone welcome.
- Lifting the Crowns
Martin to meet with Richard Lapish the Tree Officer to discuss lifting the crowns on the trees near the meadow.
- Yorkshire Water
Yorkshire Water will be attending the FGVW meeting in January to discuss the ongoing sewage problems.
- Thank You for Mrs Hood
Martin has drafted a letter to thank Mrs Hood for her generous support. Adam has produced a certificate for her.
The Group has been invited to a Volunteer Thank you evening at the Civic Hall on Thursday 9 December. Claire and Steve are going to represent the Group.
Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group has invited the Group to attend a social event at the Gledhow Sports & Social Club on Thursday 7 December.
5. Action Mornings
- Sunday 14 November
The Action Morning was well attended with over 30 volunteers. Work was completed on topping up the paths with chippings and hardcore. The steps were repaired opposite the horses' field. Chicken wire was laid down in some areas and there was a lot of tidying up and pruning.
Future Action Mornings
- Sunday 12 December
Work will start on restoring the carriageway. The stream running across this area needs to be diverted. The carriageway itself is in disrepair, partly due to a fallen tree (which has now been cleared). Saplings need to be removed to improve access to the paths at the top of the woods. Pruning will also be carried out in the woods. The Action Morning will be subject to weather conditions. Volunteers to meet at the old car park opposite Gledhow Park Drive.
- Sunday 16 January
Work to finish off the carriageway restoration.
Provisional Plan of Action Mornings for 2011
- Sunday 16 January - Carriageway
- Sunday 13 February - Path work at top of carriageway
- Saturday 19 March - Tree thinning
- Sunday 24 April - Path work
- Sunday 22 May - Wild flower planting
- July - Balsam/path work
- August - Bath house
- September - Bath house (Heritage Open Day)
- October - Hay making/bulb planting
- November - Path work/bulb planting
- December - Tree thinning
6. FGVW Christmas Cards and Sales Events
The Group has been busy selling FGVW Christmas cards and merchandise at the following events:
- Sat 20 Nov - Oakwood Farmers Market (raised £237)
- Sat 27 Nov - St Matthew's Christmas Fair (raised £72)
- Sun 28 Nov - Three Hulats Farmers Market (raised £28)
Core Group Members including Adam, Carol, Martin, Paul, Joan and Mervyn (but especially Joan!) have also been selling FGVW Christmas cards and other merchandise to friends, family and colleagues.
So far 379 packs of 2010 Christmas cards have been sold, and sales of 2008 Christmas cards also continue at a steady pace.
Altogether, the Group has sold more than £1,800 worth of merchandise so far during 2010.
7. Allen Scythes
The Group now owns two Allen Scythes. Anthony Rouse and James Mudd have kindly agreed to strip them down and repair them.
- Frozen Lake Warning
The Group are asking the community to be vigilant when near the lake in the woods. The lake has frozen and is dangerous to both the public and animals, especially dogs. A fox was recently pulled out of the lake after falling through the ice, but sadly had to be put to sleep by the RSPCA.
- Thank You Certificates
Joan suggested that thank you notes and certificates should go to the Three Hulats and the Allerton Medical Centre in the new year for their excellent support and help in selling Christmas cards.
- Request for a Handrail
The residents in the Bracken Woods area who recently applied for a grant through FGVW have requested a handrail for the steps near where the old garages used to be.
9. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 12 Dec 2010
- Core Group Meeting - Thu 13 Jan 2011 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 16 Jan 2011
- FGVW AGM - Fri 4 Feb 2011 (Three Hulats Pub)
- Action Morning - Sun 13 Feb 2011
- Action Morning - Sat 19 Mar 2011
- Action Morning - Sun 24 April 2011
- Action Morning - Sun 22 May 2011
- Family FunDay - Sat 11 Jun 2011