All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
7th April 2011

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Geoff Gilbert, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Joan Clayton, Paul Ellis, Mike Betteridge, Gavin McNaughton, Peter Foulston.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 17th March 2011
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Groundwork Application
  2. Sewage
  3. FunDay 2011
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Mervyn Clayton.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 17th March 2011

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • St Matthew's Easter Fair
    Adam and Carol have confirmed that they will be running a stall and selling FGVW merchandise at St Matthew's Easter Fair on 16th April.
  • Fox Information
    No information received from Dawn regarding the foxes as yet, possibly due to her being on holiday.

4. Correspondence


5. Action Mornings

  • Saturday 19 March
    A large turnout for a Saturday, of around 35 volunteers. A lot of work was completed including 3 paths in the old car park area. The new pond was completed, with planting.

Future Action Mornings

  • Sunday 10 April + Sunday 22 May
    Two benches have arrived and need to be put in. One will be located near to the lake. The other bench may be put near the new pond. Martin met with Steve from Potternewton Park, who has agreed to use their tractor on the carriageway this week, so there will be some work to do associated with this. Around 4 tons of top dust is due to arrive so wheelbarrows will be required. The raised beds in the car park area also need to be filled with soil.

6. Groundwork Application

This is currently going through stage 2. Letters have been received to support the application from Roundhay Planning, Brackenwoods Association, Friends of Allerton Park and local residents. The application also involves 10 benches which the Group can decide where they can be put in the woods. The work should take place during the summer.

7. Sewage

Joan has been on a site visit with Yorkshire Water as sewage is going into the beck. Yorkshire Water has stated that they are not responsible as tree roots have damaged a drainage system not under their control, but that they will help anyway.

Wendy from North East Homes has been in contact with Joan as they are responsible for surface land drainage. They admitted looking down the wrong hole but now they have the right one and their surveyors are looking into it! Once the problem has been fixed Yorkshire Water has agreed to clean up the area so the problem can be monitored more easily.

8. FunDay 2011

  • Permission LCC - E-mail sent to Becky Meers, Bookings and Licensing Officer, informing her of the event going ahead as a LCC event under Jenny Rodgers.
  • Tables & Chairs - 38 tables, 50 chairs (from Heerevents), and 2 toilets (from Convenience Hire), plus 6 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
  • New Manager at Potternewton Park - Julian Cook (ex John Casey) to be informed. Martin to liase re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - Martin to liase with Jenny. Had meeting last week.
  • Grants Area Committee - Floral Fund: Martin has applied but we may not get any funding from them this year. Adrian to apply for an Area Committee Grant.
  • Local Councillors - Mike has invited them, so far 3 have confirmed.
  • Posters - 60xA4 needed. Adam to design. Peter, Adrian, Paul to print?
  • Programme - Adam, Peter. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 6,000 needed. Photocopying by Paul/Adrian/Elaine? Christine Distribution. Schools: Chapel A, St Matthew's, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie and Talbot.
  • Guillotine - Phil?
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - Adrian?
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to Tesco and Sainsburys. Co-Op, Adrian. Indie Ices not available. Ice cream Van, Claire? Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
  • Gazebos - 9x(9x3) large, 11x(3x3) pop-up plus 2 new 6x3m, Phil's Scout Tent. Need to check where they are stored. Adrian, Martin, Mervyn, Paul, Steve? New 6x6m marquee is our main marquee.
  • P.A. System - Pete to hire.
  • Red Cross - Carol has provisionally booked. Waiting for confirmation.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. Urban Circus declined. Another band, Pete?
  • LCC Forestry - Martin to contact.
  • Dale the Chainsaw Man - Martin to contact.
  • Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise. Prizes needed. Pete to try and scrounge a guitar lesson as a prize.
  • Tombola - Penny to organise. Prizes needed.
  • Hunt the Bear Game - Adam to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian to organise.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley to be asked by Joan. Adrian providing parachute.
  • T-Shirt Design - ?
  • Firefighters - Adrian contacted. OK if letter sent.
  • Police/PCSOs - Adrian contacted. Attending.
  • Woodland Friends - Donna may do something different this year. Joan to check.
  • Birds of Prey - Adam contacted. Accepted.
  • Beekeeper - David accepted.
  • Sue Charlton - Hedgehog care accepted provisionally, Martin.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted provisionally.
  • Linda - Bird information. Accepted.
  • Wildlife things in the tent - ?
  • Lion Learners - Confirmed from 1.30pm onwards, £120.
  • Bird Boxes (or something else) - Mervyn to organise.
  • Plants for Sale - Gladys, Margaret.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian to order clay.
  • Woodcraft Folk - Adrian contacted. Not sure!
  • Face Painters - 1 confirmed, Martin.
  • Henna Artist - Attending.
  • Tailwaggers Display Team - Confirmed. Adam to check on their Personal Liability Insurance, which they'll need to bring on the day.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter to organise. Adam to produce printed timetable.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 7.00am sharp please.
  • Radish - Adam contacted. Confirmed.
  • Gledhow Allotments - Only selling produce. Confirmed.
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne unable to attend.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Adam contacted. Attending, bringing tables and chairs.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - Invited.
  • Moortown Community Group - Attending, paying £10.
  • REAP - Paul to invite.
  • Leeds Urban Market - No.
  • Environmental Services - ?
  • East North East Area Management Team - ?
  • Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
  • Woodchips - Martin to arrange.
  • Entrance Banner - Paul?
  • Meanwood Urban Valley Farm - No.
  • Mayor to Open Event - Already busy that day.
  • Circus Skills - Pete to investigate.
  • Forest Building - Gavin to investigate.

9. AOB

  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group
    The Gledhow Valley Conservation Group would like to organise a walk in the woods on 30th April in celebration of the Royal Wedding and connections between the Middleton Family and the woods. However, they need Public Liability Insurance to cover this. They have approached the Group asking if they can somehow use our insurance. The Group discussed the pros and cons of doing this including possible higher premiums resulting from a claim, additional costs of adding the group, and additional risk assessments. Also our constitution structure doesn't allow for affiliate groups. Paul agreed to contact the insurance company and the Group agreed that if it was going to be complicated and costly that this would not happen.
  • Daffodils
    The Group were excited to see the daffodils growing which they planted 5 years ago. Unfortunately many of the flowers were picked for Mother's Day!
  • Rubbish Clearance
    Joan raised the issue of rubbish and furniture in the woods around the site where the tent is near the big house. There is also a mattress in the woods to clear. Some trees also look like they are about to fall over on to the paths. Joan agreed to arrange a site visit with Elaine to see what could be done to fix the problems.
  • Duckling Barrier
    Simon Cunliffe has been contacted to see if the Duckling Barrier, mentioned last year, could be installed by Yorkshire Water to try and prevent a recurrence of last year's duckling losses.
  • Sundar Subramaniam
    Sundar arrived safely back in India at the weekend and sends everyone in the Group his very best wishes.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 10 April 2011
  • Core Group Meeting - Thu 19 May 2011 (Venue to be confirmed)
  • Action Morning - Sun 22 May 2011
  • Family FunDay - Sat 11 Jun 2011

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 20 Apr 2011. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)