All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
19th May 2011

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Geoff Gilbert, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Paul Ellis, Peter Foulston, Adrian Coltman.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 7th April 2011
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Groundwork Application
  2. Roundhay Live
  3. FunDay 2011
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Mike Betteridge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 7th April 2011

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • St Matthew's Easter Fair
    Adam and Carol attended the St Matthew's Easter Fair on 16th April with an FGVW stall. They took £90.50 altogether, £66.50 from the sale of FGVW merchandise and £24 from the Easter Egg Hunt Lollipop Game.
  • Duckling Barrier
    Martin and Elaine have put some mesh over the existing barriers to try and prevent any ducklings getting trapped.

4. Correspondence

Roslyn Johnson has donated money to the Group for the work that they do in the woods. The Group are extremely grateful and Martin is going to send out a thank you note and certificate to acknowledge her generosity. Adam to produce certificate.

5. Action Mornings

Future Action Mornings

  • Sunday 22 May
    There is a plaque to put on one of the benches in memory of Harvey. Stone has been ordered to put on the turnaround area and far end of the path. There is also a new bench to put in maybe half way up the carriageway. There is also some preparatory work to do for when the Woodcraft Folk do some wildflower planting on Tuesday. Beech thinning and litter picking will also need to be done.
  • Sunday 24 July
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.
  • Sunday 21 August
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.
  • Saturday 1 October
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.
  • Sunday 6 November
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.
  • Sunday 4 December
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.

6. Groundwork Application

The application is going forward. Groundwork have sent a map of the woods so that the Group can look at putting in up to 10 benches. The Group discussed where they should go and proposed just putting in 4-6 benches and utilising the rest of the money for another project. Members of the Group are going to conduct a site visit and decide the best places for the benches.

Francesca Jenkinson has also been in contact with Adam over the information boards. Adam will supply the information he has already collated for her to use. The Group may add some boards of their own depending on how well these boards survive. Initially 3 boards will be put up at the entrances being developed under the agreed application.

7. Roundhay Live

There is a large REAP event taking place on Saturday 18th June 2011. It is a chance for all local community groups to get together to promote the "sustainable community". Between 25 and 30 groups are expected to attend.

The day starts at 1pm for picnics with the main event open form 2pm to 4pm on the Soldiers' Field opposite the Oakwood Clock. There will be lots of activities taking place such as sports, hobbies, art, music, local history, environment and demonstrations by the various groups. Everyone is welcome to attend.

The Group agreed to loan marquees and pop up gazebos. More volunteers are needed to help on the day.

8. FunDay 2011

  • Permission LCC - E-mail sent to Becky Meers, Bookings and Licensing Officer, informing her of the event going ahead as a LCC event under Jenny Rodgers.
  • Tables & Chairs - 38 tables, 50 chairs (from Heerevents), and 2 toilets (from Convenience Hire), plus 8 more Tables from Steve Clavering.
  • New Manager at Potternewton Park - Julian Cook (ex John Casey) to be informed. Martin to liase re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Risk Assessments - Martin to liase with Jenny.
  • Grants Area Committee - Floral Fund: Martin was successful in getting a £500 grant. Adrian to apply for an Area Committee Grant.
  • Local Councillors - Mike has invited them, so far 3 have confirmed.
  • Posters - 60xA4 needed. Adam send a copy to Pete.
  • Programme - Adam, Peter. 400 needed.
  • Flyers - 6,000 needed. Joan and Mervyn have produced 4,000. Schools: Chapel A (Diane), St Matthew's (Diane), Immaculate Heart (Martin), Moor Allerton, Gledhow (Martin), Kerr Mackie (Adrian) and Talbot (Martin). Paul to produce another 500. Adam to send a copy of the leaflet to Paul.
  • Guillotine - Phil?
  • Chapel Allerton Magazine - No.
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to Tesco and Sainsburys. Co-Op, Adrian. Indie Ices not available. Ice cream Van, Claire? Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
  • Gazebos - 9x(9x3) large, 11x(3x3) pop-up plus 2 new 6x3m, Phil's Scout Tent. Need to check where they are stored. Adrian, Martin, Mervyn, Paul, Steve? New 6x6m marquee is our main marquee.
  • P.A. System - Pete to hire.
  • Red Cross - Carol has provisionally booked. Waiting for confirmation.
  • Turns - Daftasadrum confirmed. Pete to invite New World Steel Orchestra.
  • LCC Forestry - No reply.
  • Dale the Chainsaw Man - No reply.
  • Raffle - Adam to scrounge prizes and organise. Prizes needed. Pete to try and scrounge a guitar lesson as a prize.
  • Tombola - Penny to organise. Prizes needed.
  • Hunt the Bear Game - Adam to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian to organise.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley to be asked by Joan. Adrian providing parachute.
  • T-Shirt Design - Martin to buy T-shirts.
  • Firefighters - Adrian contacted. Attending for one hour unless there is an emergency.
  • Police/PCSOs - Adrian contacted. Attending.
  • Woodland Friends - No.
  • Birds of Prey - Adam contacted. Accepted.
  • Beekeeper - David accepted.
  • Sue Charlton - Hedgehog care accepted provisionally, Martin.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Accepted provisionally.
  • Linda - Bird information. Accepted.
  • Wildlife things in the tent - Accepted.
  • Lion Learners - Confirmed from 1.30pm onwards, £120.
  • Bird Boxes (or something else) - Mervyn to organise.
  • Plants for Sale - Gladys, Margaret.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian to order clay.
  • Woodcraft Folk - No.
  • Face Painters - 1 confirmed, Martin. Hopefully another attending.
  • Henna Artist - Attending.
  • Tailwaggers Display Team - Confirmed. Adam to check on their Personal Liability Insurance, which they'll need to bring on the day. Roped off area needed.
  • Turns/Timetable - Peter to organise. Adam to produce printed timetable.
  • Roping Off - Peter.
  • Setting Up - From 7am sharp please.
  • Radish - Adam contacted. Confirmed.
  • Gledhow Allotments - Only selling produce. Confirmed.
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne unable to attend.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Adam contacted. Attending, bringing tables and chairs.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - Invited.
  • Moortown Community Group - Attending, paying £10.
  • REAP - Paul invited.
  • Leeds Urban Market - No.
  • Environmental Services - No.
  • East North East Area Management Team - No.
  • Straw Bales - With Jim's help.
  • Woodchips - Martin to arrange.
  • Entrance Banner - Paul?
  • Meanwood Urban Valley Farm - No.
  • Mayor to Open Event - Already busy that day.
  • Circus Skills - Pete to investigate.
  • Forest Building - Gavin to investigate.

Martin to invite Brenda Lancaster.

Manpower and timings to be agreed at a special FunDay meeting next week.

9. AOB

  • Insurance
    Paul has updated our insurance with BCTV. The insurance has changed but for the next year we have received cover for tools and gazebos free of charge. After next year it is expected that the premium will increase to cover these items. The Allan Scythe also needs to be added.
  • Sewage
    Mervyn reported that sewage was still flowing into the woods.
  • Fly Tipping
    Diane reported seeing a woman fly tipping in the woods. The gate post has been removed. Martin agreed to ask the Council for a No fly tipping sign to be put up in the area and/or details of local tips.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 22 May 2011
  • FunDay Meeting - Wed 25 May 2011 (3 Hulats pub)
  • Family FunDay - Sat 11 Jun 2011
  • Action Morning - Sun 24 Jul 2011
  • Action Morning - Sun 21 Aug 2011
  • Action Morning - Sat 1 Oct 2011
  • Action Morning - Sun 6 Nov 2011
  • Action Morning - Sun 4 Dec 2011

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 31 May 2011. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)