All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th October 2011

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Adrian Coltman.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 18th August 2011
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Groundwork Application
  2. Stewardship for FGVW
  3. Bath House Open Day Sunday 11 September
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Peter Ellis, Mike Betteridge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 18th August 2011

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Planning Permission
    Martin has signed the objection letter regarding 11 Old Park Road on behalf of the Group. This was as a result of discussions with the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group at last month's meeting over a breach of agreed planning permission within the conservation area.
  • Bat Walk
    The Bat walk was very successful, with plenty of bats, and was well attended by over 20 people.
  • FGVW Christmas Cards
    Adam has ordered new FGVW Christmas cards, which have arrived and are in the process of being packed up by Carol and Adam.

4. Correspondence

The Inner North Area Committee Charter was distributed to the Group. This showed the top priorities for 2011/12. Copies were distributed for the Group to comment on if necessary.

Comments would be welcome on the Draft Household Designer Guide. This is to be used in helping people design homes and extensions, and obtain planning permission.

A couple are getting married in the woods on 16 December and have asked for the Group's permission. They have also agreed to clear up after the event. Martin agreed to refer the matter to Leeds Park Rangers.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 21 August
    Work continued on the top path.
  • Saturday 3 September
    This was an additional Action Morning to clear out the Bath House ready for the Open Heritage weekend that took place on Saturday 3rd September.
  • Saturday 1 October
    Work took place on the top path and the pond. It was a low turnout for volunteers. It is estimated that another 2 or 3 sessions will be needed to finish the path.

Future Action Mornings

  • Sunday 13 November
    Note: The date of this Action Morning has been moved from 6 November.
    Work to continue on the top path. Work to also take place on the pond and drainage. More stone may be needed. There are also some bulbs left over to be planted. Volunteers to meet at the jetty.
  • Sunday 11 December
    Note: The date of this Action Morning has been moved from 4 December.
    Meeting place to be confirmed at a later date.

6. Groundwork Application

Two meetings took place on Thursday 1 September and Wednesday 7 September. The work has been agreed and will start towards the end of October/start of November. A pre-start meeting will be needed to decide on reporting lines and health and safety issues.

7. Stewardship for FGVW

Emma from Leeds City Council has contacted the Group following previous e-mails about giving the Group more decision-making responsibility concerning the Woods. She has sent an example of a Stewardship Agreement that has been drafted by the Council for another Group.

The Council would like to pass on more of the decision making to the Group so that it is no longer necessary for a Park Ranger to attend the Action Mornings and other events.

The Group expressed concern that the Group would not gain much from the agreement and were worried that the insurance liabilities would shift from the Council to FGVW. Concerns were raised over the level of responsibility being taken on by the Group. Adrian suggested asking a Park Ranger to attend a meeting to talk us through the main points. Martin agreed to contact the Council to arrange a meeting.

8. Bath House Open Day Sunday 11 September

The day was a great success and the Bath House was visited by approximately 250 people. The Allen Scythe was on display at the Bath House. There was a high turnover of merchandise and plenty of the new Christmas cards were sold. Over £500 was collected on the day to help with future work in the woods.

9. AOB

  • Meadow Cutting
    The meadow is ready for cutting with the Allen scythe. Martin and Adrian agreed to arrange a suitable day. Joan agreed to request hay rakes from the Council.
  • FunDay 2012
    Joan asked the Group if there was an objection to one of our members collecting books and doing a book stall at the FunDay next year. There were no objections provided that there were no books left behind at the end of the day. All donations will be given to FGVW and any books left will be given to charity by the organiser.
  • Bench Installation
    Dorothy would like to donate another bench to the woods. The Group agreed provided there was somewhere suitable to put it.
  • FGVW Coasters
    Joan requested a set of coasters from Adam for Janet Leveridge.
  • Horses
    Some notices have been put up near the "horses field" asking for the horses to be removed.
  • Japanese Knotweed
    Martin asked Joan to ask about the destruction of the Japanese Knotweed when she next contacts Elaine.
  • Accident/Incident book
    Joan suggested that the Group obtain an official accident/incident book for the Action Mornings.
  • Gledhow Lake Article
    Joan agreed to pass round the Group an article she has on the history of Gledhow Lake.
  • Gledhow Pines
    The Group were asked if there were any Gledhow Pines left in the woods. This was not known.
  • Tree Removal
    Some trees need cutting down in the meadow. Martin has contacted Justin but has not had a response to date.
  • Hedgehog House
    Adam received an e-mail and photo of a hedgehog house made by using the instructions on the website. The owner is very pleased with the results.
  • Three Hulats' Farmers Market
    The Group has been asked to attend the Three Hulats' Farmers Market on Sunday 30 October 2011. Adam and Carol are unable to run the stall, but Joan and Mervyn kindly agreed to run it instead.
  • Oakwood Farmers Market
    The Group has been asked to attend the Oakwood Farmers Market on Saturday 19 November 2011. Adam and Carol are again unable to run the stall, but Joan and Mervyn kindly agreed to run it instead.
  • St Matthews' Christmas Fair
    The Group has been asked to attend St Matthew's Christmas Fair on Saturday 26 November 2011. Adam and Carol will run the stall.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Nov 2011 (previously advertised as 6 Nov)
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 14 Nov 2011 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 11 Dec 2011 (previously advertised as 4 Dec)

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 28 Oct 2011. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)