All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
6th February 2012

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Hayley & James Byrne, Christine Osborne.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th January 2012
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Groundwork Application
  2. Grants
  3. FunDay 2012
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Mike Betteridge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th January 2012

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Stewardship
    Martin has contacted Emma at Leeds City Council and she will be attending the meeting in March to c talk to the Group about the Stewardship programme.
  • Friends of Gipton Wood Bird Boxes
    Mervyn is organising delivery of a large number of bird boxes for the Friends of Gipton Wood.
  • Carriageway
    Leeds City Council did not scrape the carriageway as originally planned on the 2nd and 3rd of February. The Council will try again at a later date.
  • Knotweed
    Martin has e-mailed Elaine at Leeds City Council regarding the knotweed. She confirmed that as it is shown on their map that it should have been treated, although no one in the Group had seen this happen.
  • Display Boards
    The Group agreed that as funds are available, Adam could go ahead and order the new boards.

4. Correspondence

Martin has exchanged information with the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) on the ringed Mute Swan on the lake in the woods. The bird was originally ringed at Roundhay Park.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 5 February 2012
    The snow and ice meant that the proposed activities were changed. It wasn't possible to do any litter picking or path building due to the weather. Some thinning took place instead.
  • Sunday 4 March 2012
    The stone that was delivered ready for last month's Action Morning needs to be used. An alternative was put forward of organising a mini Action Morning mid-week to use the stone so that other activities could be done at the main Action Morning. Potential activities include tidying up the general area, thinning and topping up the path which will dependent on the weather. Volunteers to meet opposite the "horses' field" on Gledhow Valley Road.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks for the coming year (subject to change):

  • Saturday 14 April 2012
    Work on the top meadow.
  • Sunday 13 May 2012
    Work on the top path.
  • Sunday 8 July 2012
    Work on the middle path.
  • Sunday 5 August 2012
    Work on the top path.
  • Sunday 2 September 2012
    Bath House clearing ready for the Heritage Open Day.
  • October 2012
    Work on the meadow.

6. Groundwork Application

All work is due to be completed by the end of February with the exception of the ironwork on gateway one which will be completed by the end of March. An opening ceremony has been suggested.

Martin will be contacting the local school to arrange a mid-week opening day where the children can scatter wildflower seeds and have refreshments. This is planned for mid-April.

Martin also suggested that we apply for a sustainability grant to help sustain the project, although we have to apply for this by the end of February.

7. Grants

The Group are currently spending around £4,000 per year. The main sources of income are the FunDay and general merchandise sales. These raise around £2,000 per year. For the last few years we have been using a further £2,000 from our reserves. The Group currently have £6,000 left in reserve so the Group need to consider obtaining grants for the work that they do.

Adrian has done some investigating and has found several grants available but in order to apply the Group need to submit specific projects for the money. Also some grants expect some form of price matching from the Group. The Group proposed various projects such as path work and building and repairing steps, which could include quotes for stone, wood and wildflowers.

Adrian also agreed to contact local Councillors such as Jane Dawson, to see if there was any Council money available. Paul to provide a copy of the Constitution, accounts and bank statements to support any grant applications.

8. FunDay 2012

The FunDay will take place on Saturday 9 June 2012. Core Group members agreed to start booking people in, especially the main acts.

  • Horsforth Silver Band - Joan has been in contact with the Horsforth Silver Band and is hoping to get confirmation that they can attend.
  • Dance Act - Hayley suggested a dance act of some kind .
  • Lionlearners - To be invited.
  • Bee keeper - To be invited.
  • Hope Pastures - Adam to invite.
  • Indie Ices - Adam to invite.
  • Talon Falconry - Adam to invite.
  • Tailwaggers - Adam to invite.
  • Radish - Adam to invite.
  • Red Cross - Carol to invite.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian to provide tools.
  • Marquees and Gazebos - The Group agreed that checks needed to be made on the state of the marquees and gazebos.
9. AOB

  • Gledhow Valey Conservation Area Group
    Christine Osborne attended the meeting and updated the Group on their recent event held at Gledhow Sports and Social Club. She thanked the Group for their raffle prize donation. Christine has been investigating grants for the GVCAG and has obtained £500 for a display board. She was surprised to find that display boards were also going up in the woods as part of the Brackenwoods Project. She suggested that it might be beneficial for the groups to work together in future to obtain grants.
  • Black Bags
    Martin agreed to obtain some black bags.
  • Retired Woodcutter
    Andrew is a retired woodcutter and Steve Clavering has agreed that he can help to identify and remove tress in the wood. Joan agreed to get in contact with him.
  • Yorkshire Gardens Trust
    The Group and the Council are in contact with Louise. It has been agreed that Steve Clavering we go round the woods with members of the Trust. A volunteer from the Group will also take them round the Bath House and show them the work that they have done in the woods. A request has been made for this to be on Sunday prior to the Bath House Open Heritage Day, with refreshments and a gazebo. The Group had originally planned to clean the Bath House on this day so this will be moved to the Saturday. A volunteer from Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group has also been requested to talk to the Trust about the buildings in the area.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 04 Mar 2012
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 05 Mar 2012 (Three Hulats, 7.30pm)
  • Action Morning - Sat 14 Apr 2012
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 May 2012
  • Family FunDay - Sat 09 Jun 2012
  • Action Morning - Sun 08 Jul 2012
  • Action Morning - Sun 05 Aug 2012
  • Action Morning - Sun 02 Sep 2012

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 27 Feb 2012. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)