All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
1st October 2012

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Mike Betteridge, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Paul & Hazel Ellis, Adrian Coltman, Steven Tyndale-Biscoe.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 30th July 2012
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. Grant Applications
  7. Yorkshire Gardens Trust Bath House Visit
  1. Bath House Open Day
  2. FunDay 2013
  3. Audrey's Donation
  4. FGVW Coasters & Christmas Cards
  5. Christmas Fairs & Farmers Markets
  6. AOB
  7. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence


2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 30th July 2012

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Knotweed
    Some areas of knotweed are dying but some areas have not yet been treated. Although this is a good start the Group will ask the Council why only some of it has been treated.
  • Missing Swan
    A second swan has gone missing, presumed dead.
  • Friends of Highwood
    Friends of Highwood have donated £20 to the Group in return for borrowing some pop-up gazebos for one of their events.
  • Roundhay Live
    Martin and Paul attended a debriefing meeting on 26th September. Paul is arranging for the Group to receive a £50 fee for loaning out gazebos and also £50 to replace a gazebo that was damaged. A survey was completed on the day which showed the type of people who attended e.g. family groups, and how far they had travelled. Although successful, the organisers do not wish to do the event next year and have asked for volunteers to take over.

4. Correspondence


5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 5 August 2012
    The Bath House was cleaned ready for the Heritage Open Day. The stream was also cleared and the drainage has improved as a result of this.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks for the coming year (subject to change):

  • Saturday 6 October 2012
    Work will include cutting the meadow and raking it. The Group will try and use scythes and strimmers. Some cutting back and pruning is required between Sundar's pond and the meadow. There are also some bulbs to plant. Volunteers to meet at the old car park opposite Gledhow Park Drive.

6. Grant Applications

Nothing to report.

7. Yorkshire Gardens Trust Bath House Visit

Approximately 25 people attended the Yorkshire Gardens Trust event. The Group worked in conjunction with the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group who talked about the buildings in the area including Gledhow Hall.

The Group took visitors on a tour of the woods and the Bath House. The visitors received home-made cakes and refreshments. Yorkshire Gardens Trust donated £50 and invited the Group to apply for a grant.

The Group agreed to offer a donation to Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group and agreed to publicise any walks that they wished to do in the woods. Adrain suggested doing heritage walks in the woods as part of the Open Heritage Weekend when the Group opens the Bath House.

Paul suggested the Group have an "indicative tariff", as a lot of time and effort had been put in by the Group to make this event a success, with very little reward.

8. Bath House Open Day

Approximately 200 people attended the Bath House Heritage Open Day. The event was very successful and raised over £339. Home baking was excellent. The Group has received a letter of thanks from the Civic Trust and asked if we would open the Bath House again next year, although the event will be held a week later than usual.

The Group agreed to do some work in Avril's garden as payment for the electricity and water used in cleaning the Bath House.

9. FunDay 2013

Potential dates for the FunDay in 2013 are 8 and 15 June. The Group discussed various scenarios including scaling down the event just to promote the Group and/or provide children's games. The Group spend a lot of money organising bands and entertainers. Martin asked the Group to think about how the event could be run differently next year.

10. Audrey's Donation

The Group are very grateful for a donation from Audrey to go towards work in the woods and a bench.

The Group considered creating a new meadow in the area near the current meadow and pond. Some of the money could be spent on wildflower plugs and seed with any remaining money going towards a trailer. The meadow would be known as Audrey's Meadow.

11. FGVW Coasters & Christmas Cards

Naomi has made 150 coasters using photos taken in the woods. She has produced 12 different designs and agreed to sell them for £2 each.

The Group agreed that Naomi could produce another 150 coasters.

Joan supplied copies of 2 photos from the Leodis site which could be used for cards. Martin agreed to contact Leodis to see if we could get permission to use them.

The Group agreed to continue selling as many Christmas cards as possible this year to reduce stocks so that new cards could be bought next year. There was some discussion over the best way to do this including offering discounts. The Group have agreed to do four events in the run up to Christmas to sell merchandise and raise funds.

12. Christmas Fairs & Farmers Markets

The Group will have stalls selling merchandise at the following events:

  • 17 Nov - Oakwood Farmers Market (9.00am to12.30pm)
  • 24 Nov - St Matthew's Church Christmas Fair (10.30am to 12.30pm)
  • 25 Nov - Three Hulats Farmers Market, Chapel Allerton (9.00am to 1.00pm)
  • 01 Dec - Roundhay School Christmas Fair (10.30am to 1.00pm)

13. AOB

  • Benches
    The Group currently has orders for 3 benches. It is getting crowded around the lake so Adam suggested producing a map showing where future benches could be positioned so that people could choose a spot.
  • Gledhow Valley Research
    Joan has done some more research on the Gledhow Valley. She showed the Group a painting by Turner which shows Gledhow Hall in the background. The Group has also ordered a copy of a will from the Kitson family hoping to find proof that some money was left to support the Bath House. Joan also provided maps of the area in 1814.
  • Talk About the Woods
    Mike is in discussion with Roundhay Care about giving a talk about the woods.
  • Finance
    Paul updated the Group with the amount of money in the bank account. He is still investigating changing banks.
  • Horses' Field
    Adrian agreed to try and contact the owners of the Horses' Field which is believed to be the Catholic Childrens Home. It is hoped that we could work together to create a meadow and replant the area before the trees and weeds take over.
  • Reed Bed
    Steven asked if a reed bed could be put in where the lake is silted up near the island. Martin agreed to contact Land Drainage to see what could be done.
  • Sponsorship
    Naomi explained a potential sponsorship deal for the Group. The Group has been asked to come up with a project that uses "new materials" and then part of the cost would be met by a company who will use it to promote the material and their business.

14. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sat 06 Oct 2012
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 29 Oct 2012 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 10 Nov 2012 (previously advertised as Sun 4 Nov)
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 10 Dec 2012 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 16 Dec 2012

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 04 Oct 2012. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)