All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
10th December 2012

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Mike Betteridge, Adrian Coltman.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 29th October 2012
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FunDay 2013
  1. Christmas Fairs & Farmers Markets
  2. Benches in the Woods
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert for attending the meeting late.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 29th October 2012

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Possible Reed Bed
    Martin has contacted members of the Council regarding the possibility of creating a reed bed where the lake is silted up near the island. They have agreed that it can be done provided it just goes around the outside of the lake. The reeds need to be ordered form a reliable source and the Group could apply for a Green Leeds Grant to do this work.
  • Leodis Image Copyright
    Martin has not yet had a chance to contact Leodis concerning copyright of a photo of the woods, which we hope to use in future FGVW merchandise.
  • Equipment Trailer
    The Group has purchased a new trailer.

4. Correspondence

An e-mail was received regarding possible funds to be obtained from ELF.

Agenda and minutes from the previous meeting received from the North East Area Committee. Joan took them away to read.

The Group has obtained a copy of Hilda Kitson's will which mentions the wood between Gledhow School and Gledhow Lane. Two acres were given to the Council with a public right of way for the benefit of the people of Leeds. A donation of £150 was made for path maintenance.

5. Action Mornings

  • Saturday 10 November 2012
    Approximately 20 volunteers attended the Action Morning. Elaine from the Council held a meeting with members of the Group to advise on contractors coming in to do some work in the woods. The Group can apply for a Green Leeds grant but we need to obtain 3 quotes. The Group has been advised to leave any diseased Ash trees alone and not to cut them down. The meadow was cleared during the Action Morning.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks for the coming year (subject to change):

  • Sunday 16 December 2012
    Work will continue on thinning the beeches and clearing the meadow. Martin suggested starting to dig another pond. The Group are to ask Jim if he can supply some woodchips and also to ask John if he can transport some stone to finish the path in January. Volunteers to meet in the meadow at the end of the lake on Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Sunday 13 January 2013
  • Sunday 10 February 2013
  • Sunday 10 March 2013
  • Saturday 6 April 2013
  • Sunday 12 May 2013

6. FunDay 2013

The date of the FunDay has been agreed as Saturday 8 June 2013. The Group is encouraged to start inviting acts and to think about any new acts.

7. Christmas Fairs & Farmers Markets

  • Oakwood Farmers Market
    £190 from the sale of FGVW merchandise, which included 30 coasters.
  • St Matthews Fair
    £87.50 from the sale of FGVW merchandise which included 21 coasters.
  • Three Hulats Farmers Market
    £42 from the sale of FGVW merchandise which included 5 coaters.
  • Roundhay School Christmas Fair
    A new venture this year where the Group took £89.10, including 6 coasters and £19 from the lollipop game.

8. Benches in the Woods

Martin will order 4 benches. The plots have been selected and include the bottom of the carriageway, the slope down to the jetty, the bottom end of the lake and in the beech wood near the Bath House. They will be put in during spring.


The AGM will take place on Friday 15 February 2013.

Nominations are welcome for the positions of Chair, Treasurer and Secretary.

10. AOB

  • Photo Competition
    Friends of Roundhay Park are doing a photo competition for their calendar. The Group was asked to consider if this was suitable for our Group. Mervyn brought a calendar being sold by the Council for £2 and asked if the Group could come up with something similar.
  • Signage
    Mervyn is concerned about the signage in the woods. The wood surround needs treating and varnishing otherwise he does not think it will last more than another 12 months.
  • Grants
    Adrian has been in contact with the North East Area Committee but they have confirmed that they do not have any money at present. He did however attend their meeting and the Councillors were very interested in the Group and he has been told to put in an application for a grant March/April time. The Proceeds of Crime committee has also run out of money but the Group was encouraged to apply later. It was suggested that the Group also apply for the Floral Fund for the FunDay.
  • Pavements
    Adrian suggested inviting a councillor to look at the pavement alongside the woods to see if it can be cleaned. The wood and verges are encroaching making it very narrow and it is muddy and covered in leaves.

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 7 Jan 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Jan 2013
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 4 Feb 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Feb 2013
  • FGVW AGM - Fri 15 Feb 2013 (Three Hulats, 7.30pm)
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 4 Mar 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Mar 2013
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 1 Apr 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 6 Apr 2013
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 6 May 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 12 May 2013
  • FunDay - Sat 8 Jun 2013

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 30 Dec 2012. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)