All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
15th April 2013

Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Mike Betteridge, Paul Ellis, Stephen Tyndale-Biscoe.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 4th March 2013
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Work on Audrey's Meadow and Ponds
  2. FunDay 2013
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Naomi Watts-Kitto.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 4th March 2013

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising


4. Correspondence

The Group has received an e-mail from Matt Bickley who reported seeing a male reeves pheasant in the woods near Allerton Grange Way on 7 April 2013.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 10 March 2013
    25 volunteers in total. Work was completed on the middle path and the top steps. Some clearing also took place on the top path.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Saturday 20 April 2013 (previously advertised as the 6 April)
    Woodwork to be completed on the top path. There is 4 tons of stone to be moved for the middle path. 16 tons of stone to be delivered ready to complete the top path but there is difficulty getting stone in the area as the delivery truck has got stuck before. The woods near the Brackenwoods estate needs clearing of rubbish and household materials that have been dumped in the area. This depends on the number of volunteers - however care needs to be taken not to damage the bluebells.
  • Sunday 12 May 2013
    There is a possibility of 20 additional volunteers to help with the path in "Hilda's Wood" (although they may come on a separate day). Some of the wood needed to do this work has already been delivered. Volunteers to meet at the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road.

6. Work on Audrey's Meadow and Ponds

The contractor is hoping to start work in the Autumn. One of the large ponds (number 3) has been damaged and is nearly empty. One of the smaller ponds (number 2) is only just filling up. These will be looked at when the contractor starts work. There is also a large pile of brush and vegetation that could potentially be a fire hazard and is in the wrong place. A suggestion as made to move the brush and spread it out thinner to make wildlife habitats. The contractor could help by using a digger.

7. FunDay 2013

The date of the FunDay has been agreed as Saturday 8 June 2013. The Group is encouraged to start inviting acts and to think about any new acts.

  • Permission LCC - E-mail to be sent to Becky Meers/Sam Bookings and Licensing Officer informing her of the event. Discussion re risk assessment and insurance on-going.
  • Tables, Chairs & Toilets - Need to fund 45 tables and 80 chairs from Heere events and 2 toilets form Convenience Hire. 8 more tables from Steve Clavering.
  • Gazebos & Pop-ups - Need to be checked. Adrian has 8 gazebos and 1 pop-up. Trevor has 1 pop-up, Paul also has 4.
  • Grass Cutting - Manager at Potternewton Park Julian Cook to be informed. MC to liaise re grass cutting and fire extinguishers.
  • Grants - Area Committee? Local councillors - applied for £500 from floral fund.
  • Posters - Need 80xA4.
  • Programme - No.
  • Flyers - 6000 needed to go to schools w/c 28 May. Photocopying Paul? Adrian? Elaine? Christine? Distribution schools, Chapel A, St Matthews, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledow, Kerr Mackie, Bracken Edge, Talbot, new Roundhay school.
  • Guillotine - Phil?
  • Refreshments - Martin to write to Tescos and Sinsburys. Co-Op Adrian. Need as much home baking as possible. Please encourage all our supporters.
  • PA system - To hire.
  • Parachute Game - John and Jenny confirmed. Adrian to bring game.
  • Corpus Christie Band - Confirmed.
  • Magician Jon - Confirmed.
  • Street Entertainer - £200-£250, not sorted yet.
  • LCC Forestry and Chainsaw - No.
  • Morley Exotic Animals - Confirmed.
  • Noahs Ark - Joan agreed to find out the details for who attend St Gemma's Hospice events.
  • Accordion Player - Mervyn suggested getting in contact with one.
  • Daftasadrum - Confirmed.
  • British Red Cross - Quoted £80. Carol has booked.
  • Birds of Prey - Confirmed.
  • Tombola and Raffle - Prizes requested.
  • Bottle Stall - Naomi will be running a bottle stall. Donations of full bottles requested (approx. 75ml).
  • Indie Ices - Adam has invited.
  • Radish - Confirmed.
  • Ice Cream Van - Naomi and Mike to investigate.
  • Councillors - Mike has invited, only received one acceptance.
  • Police Commissioner/Mayor/PCSOs - Adrian to invite.
  • FGVW Display - Adrian to paint a map of the woods so people can make suggestions.
  • Coconut Shy/Tin Can Alley Games - Three Hulats Matt, Kelly and Bridie.
  • Whack-a-Rat - Diane to investigate.
  • T-shirt design - depends on how many are left and if we have a volunteer.
  • Firefighters - Adrian?
  • Police/PCSO's - Adrian?
  • Beekeeper - David accepted.
  • Sue Charlton - hedgehog care?
  • Keighley Hedgehog Sanctuary - No.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Probably!
  • Bird Information - Linda has confirmed.
  • Lion learners - No.
  • Bird boxes - Mervyn.
  • Plants for Sale - Joan, Gladys and Margaret.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian to obtain clay if we can get a volunteer to run stall.
  • Woodcraft folk - No.
  • Skelton Grange - No information yet.
  • Face Painters - 2 confirmed.
  • Henna Artist - No.
  • Tailwaggers Display Team - No.
  • Turns/timetable - ?
  • Roping Off - ?
  • Radish - Confirmed
  • Gledhow Allotments - Only selling produce. Adrian?
  • Wishing tree - No.
  • Gledhow Conservation Group - Confirmed.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - ?
  • REAP - To be invited by Paul
  • Moortown Community Group - ?
  • Leeds Homeopaths - ?
  • Straw Bales - with Jim's help.
  • Woodchip Piles - Martin.
  • Entrance Banner - No.
  • Meanwood Urban Farm - No.
  • Mayor/Councillors - Mike has invited the Councillors, only one confirmed.
  • Setting Up - At 7am.

8. AOB

  • Benches
    Ashling Donnelly has requested a bench to be placed looking down towards the lake at the swans. The Group will look into it as it is getting quite crowded with benches in that area. The Group discussed alternatives for how people could donate to the Group and have memorials. Also the Group do not make any money on the benches and donations just go to pay for the bench and materials.
  • Banking Update
    Paul notified the Group that there is currently £9,784.86p in the account as we have received money from the Foundation.
  • Daffodils
    Joan has been investigated getting some free daffodils. We are too late this year but we can apply next year. Paul suggested planting wild daffodils but the Group has had limited success with these in the past. It was mentioned that some of the daffodils are getting picked.
  • Rubbish Dumping
    Steven raised the subject of rubbish being dumped in the woods near the top of Little Switzerland. It is difficult to get to due to the slope and the bluebells but if there are enough volunteers at the Action Morning the Group agreed to make a start on clearing the area. There are also a couple of campsite areas are in the woods which need to be removed by the Council.
  • Allerton Grange Fields
    Joan informed the Group that Allerton Grange Fields have been adopted by Parks and Countryside and will remain a green area.
  • Plant Photos
    Mike apologised to the Group for a recent mix up over some plant pictures which he believed needed to be removed from the website and thanked everyone for their help in identifying the plants.
  • Skipton Building Society Grant
    Carol has applied for a grant from the Skipton Building Society on behalf of the Group.
  • Charitable Status
    Paul is investigated the rule changes which may make it easier to obtain charitable status for the Group.
  • Heritage Open Day
    Adrian has registered the Bath House for the Heritage Open Day in September.
  • Meeting Date Change
    It was suggested to move the next meeting to Tuesday 7 May due to the bank holiday.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sat 20 Apr 2013
  • Core Group Meeting - Tue 7 May 2013 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 12 May 2013
  • FunDay - Sat 8 Jun 2013

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 25 Apr 2013. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)