All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
31st March 2014

Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Jenny Page, Mike Betteridge.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th February
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. FGVW Merchandise
  2. Wildlife Discovery Day Sunday 10th March 2014
  3. FunDay 2014
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Martin Calvert, Naomi Watts-Kitto.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 10th March

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Risk Assessments
    We are waiting to receive the Risk Assessments, which have been agreed by Leeds City Council.
  • Camping in the Woods
    The man who was camping in the woods has now found a hostel place at St Anne's and is doing well.
  • The Horses Field
    Yorkshire Water now also have access to the field. Mervyn is assisting them with some repair work to the fence.
  • Gledhow Triangle
    The trees will be pruned and the grant is still being discussed.

4. Correspondence

The Group has received a copy of the minutes from the Leeds Parks and Green Spaces Forum that Martin attended on 16 January 2014.

An e-mail has been received from Project Dirt inviting the Group to apply for free trees from the Woodland Trust.

Adrian has submitted our application after receiving an invitation to be part of the Leeds Open Heritage Weekend.

5. Action Mornings

  • Saturday 15 March 2014
    5 flasks were damaged accidentally and need replacing. Volunteers took part in path building and litter picking.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 6 April 2014
    There are 2 benches and noticeboards to put in and a gully to clean up. The drain near the jetty also needs clearing. Volunteers to meet at the old car park entrance opposite Gledhow Park Drive.
  • Sunday 11 May 2014
    The Group proposed to work on the steps near the bridge.

6. FGVW Merchandise

Adam has received some photos of the woods which will hopefully go towards making a calendar and/or other new merchandise. Adam agreed to bring copies of the photos to the next meeting for the Group to look at.

7. Wildlife Discovery Day Sunday 13th April 2014

Leeds City Council has asked the Group to provide activities and attend a Wildlife Discovery Day on Sunday 13 April from 10am until 4pm. It will be held on the Soldiers Field at Roundhay Park. The Group agreed to attend the event. Adrian and Jenny confirmed that they could attend. Joan, Mervyn, Trevor and Diane are also looking to attend during the day. Unfortunately, Adam and Carol are unable to be there, and Adam reminded everyone that any FGVW merchandise to sell at the event would need to be collected by Wednesday 9 April. Details to be agreed at the Action Morning.

8. FunDay 2014

There is a lack of funding for this year's FunDay due to the ending of some grants such as the Floral Fund. The Group has agreed to make the FunDay smaller and more manageable with simpler activities for children to take part in, and more hands-on stalls.

  • Permission - LCC. Martin has e-mailed Andrew Sykes of Bookings and Licensing. He has acknowledged receipt of our application and will progress it.
  • Risk Assessments - MC sent to Andrew at Events.
  • 45 tables and 100 chairs - From Heerevents, 100% certain of ability to supply!
  • 8 tables - From Rangers?
  • 2 toilets - From Convenience Hire, ordered.
  • 10 traffic cones and 30 road pins
  • Display Boards - Already have on loan from LCC.
  • Grass Cutting and Fire Extinguishers - Manager at Potternewton Park, Julian Cook, to be informed. MC to liase.
  • Grants - Adrian has applied for North East funding and has a small grants application from Leeds City Council. Adrian is visiting the councillors on Saturday. Joan has been in contact with various councillors. Councillor Rececca Charlwood (Labour) couldn't help. Councillor Alex Sobel (Labour) has run out of MICE money and Councillor Christine Macniven (Labour) has agreed to discuss it at the next meeting on 1st May. Jenny is applying for a community grant with the Halifax.
  • Posters - 80xA4, design as per last year. To be printed at Smallprint.
  • Programme - No.
  • Flyers - Adam. 6000 needed to go into schools w/c 3rd June? To be printed at Smallprint, total cost £80. Distribution Schools, Chapel A, St Matthews, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie, Bracken Edge Talbot and new Roundhay.
  • Guillotine - Phil, not needed.
  • Refreshments - Martin has to e-mail Amy at Tesco. Adrian to contact Co-op. Need as much home baking as possible so please encourage all our supporters.
  • Indie Ices - Invited by Adam, Confirmed.
  • Ice Cream Van - Invited by Mike, Confirmed.
  • Tents and Gazebos - 9x(9x3) large, 11x(3x3) pop up plus 2 new 6mx3m, Phil's Scout Tent. Need to check where they are stored. Steve and Jane, Carol, Adrian, Martin, Mervyn, Paul and Steve? New 6mx6m marquee is our main marquee.
  • P.A. System - Pete to hire.
  • St Johns Ambulance - No.
  • Red Cross - Booked by Carol, £80.
  • Daftasadrum - Offered to attend for free.
  • The Turnarounds - £50 via Martin.
  • Roundhay Ukulele Group - No fee.
  • Magician Jon - Confirmed, £140.
  • Circus Skills - Matthew Tiffany confirmed for 2 hours cost £125.
  • Accordion player - Not invited.
  • LCC Forestry?
  • Dale the Chainsaw Man - No.
  • Raffle - Adam, Yes. Suggestion to separate the raffle prizes from the merchandise.
  • Tombola?
  • Donna's Stall - Confirmed.
  • Hunt the Bear - Adam, Yes.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian Featuring Felling 2014-15.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley? C.A. school providing parachute via T and D? Balls?
  • T-shirt Design - No.
  • Fire-fighters - Adrian invited, Confirmed.
  • Police/PCSOs - Adrian invited, Confirmed.
  • Talon Falconry Birds of Prey - Adam invited, Confirmed.
  • Beekeeper - David, Confirmed.
  • Sue Charlton Hedgehog Care - Not invited.
  • Keighley Hedgehog sanctuary - Not invited.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Martin, hopefully.
  • Start Birding - Linda, bird information, Confirmed.
  • Lion Learners - Not invited.
  • Morley Exotic Animals - Confirmed, £300.
  • Bird Boxes - Mervyn, Confirmed.
  • Plants Stall - Joan, Gladys and Margaret, Confirmed.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian, Confirmed.
  • Bottle Stall - Naomi, No.
  • Tin Can Alley - Trevor and Diane confirmed. Adrian to supply bean bags.
  • Whack a Rat - ?
  • Bacon Baps - Matt from The Three Hulats?
  • Craft Puppets - Fiona.
  • Badges and Masks - Jenny.
  • About My Area - Confirmed. Tables in FGVW display tent?
  • Besom Making/Willow - Elaine and Pete confirmed.
  • Face Painters - 2 confirmed.
  • Henna Artist - Not invited.
  • Tailwaggers Display Team Big - Not invited.
  • Turns/Timetable - Adrian/Naomi/Martin.
  • Radish - Invited by Adam, Confirmed.
  • Gledhow Allotments Association - Not invited.
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne, No.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Not invited.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - Not invited.
  • Friends of Gipton Woods - Not invited.
  • REAP - Invited by Paul, Confirmed.
  • Moortown Community Group - Not invited.
  • Leeds Homeopaths - Not invited.
  • Straw Bales - With John and Jim's help?
  • Woodchip Piles - Martin?
  • Entrance Banner - No.
  • Mayor and Councillors - To be invited by Mike.
  • About My Area - Agreed, as they provide the Group with publicity.
  • Setting Up - From 7am sharp please.
  • Road Traffic - 15 cones from Potternewton Park with 10 from LCC on AG Way.

9. AOB

  • St Matthews Easter Fair
    Unfortunately the Group do not have any volunteers available to attend St Matthews Easter Fair on Saturday 12 April 2014.
  • Letter in Press Concerning Tree Felling
    There has been a letter in the press concerning planning applications for tree felling in Gledhow Valley Woods.
  • Countryfile Programme
    The BBC Countryfile program is offering wildflower and meadow seeds to the public.
  • Wall Stone Being Stolen
    The wall that has been knocked down near the bridge has still not being repaired and the stone is being stolen.
  • Contribution
    The Group has received a £20 contribution.
  • Tree Walk
    Members of the Group attended a tree walk with Justin from the Council. He has been looking at removing some of the trees as part of a regeneration project. Adrian visited a site that has already been completed and although it looks a mess now the future prospects look very good with lots of regeneration benefiting the local wildlife. It was agreed to discuss the regeneration program with the community at the annual FunDay.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 6 Apr 2014
  • Wildlife Discovery Day - Sun 13 Apr 2014 (Roundhay Park)
  • Core Group Meeting - Wed 7 May 2014 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 11 May 2014
  • FunDay - Sat 14 Jun 2014

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 03 Apr 2014. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)