All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
7th May 2014

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 31st March
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  1. Action Mornings
  2. FunDay 2014
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Jenny Page, Mike Betteridge.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 31st March

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Wildlife Discovery Day
    Volunteers attended the Wildlife Discovery Day but it was abandoned earlier than planned due to the extremely windy weather. Some of the equipment, including a gazebo, was damaged but repaired by Mervyn. The Group made £3 on greetings cards and £30 on bird boxes.
  • FGVW Calendar
    People have submitted photos of the wood for the Group to consider for a FGVW calendar. Adam brought copies for the Group to look at and Joan brought some more photos on a disk to be considered.

4. Correspondence

The Group has received copies of the minutes form the Leeds Parks and Green Spaces meeting.

NSPCC Roundhay has asked if we would promote their plant and gift fair on 31 May 10am-1pm at St. Edmunds Church Hall at Rounday. Entry is £1 for adults and children can enter for free.

Judy Wall has sent the Group photos of some tapestries created by Private Sims of the 1st Hants Regiment while he was at the VAD Hospital at Gledhow Hall.

Allerton Grange School has asked the Group if they would like a stall at their event on 17 May. Unfortunately no one is available that weekend.

Sue Tuffin has been in contact to ask us to promote the "Tour de Roundhay" on Sunday 22 June. Sue will be attending the FunDay as part of REAP.

Martin was invited to comment on work being done on the Oakwood Clock refurbishment and improving the surrounding area. Views are being sought from the local community and a survey has been issued.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 6 April 2014
    28 volunteers turned up for the Action Morning, including some new people. Benches and notice boards were put in and gullies cleared.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 11 May 2014
    4 tons of limestone to be delivered to re-do some path and repair some steps. A bench plaque also needs replacing. A path in the woods has been roped off. Martin agreed to investigate why and if any problems could be dealt with by the Group or if it needed to be done by the Council. Volunteers to meet near the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Sunday 13 July 2014 (provisional)
  • Sunday 24 August 2014 (possible Bath House clearing)
  • Saturday 20 September 2014
  • Sunday 19 October 2014
  • Sunday 23 November 2014
  • Sunday 14 December 2014

6. FunDay 2014

Martin to e-mail Mike regarding photos of the woods for the display boards. Adam to print and laminate them.

Martin to e-mail Elaine regarding missing display board parts.

Martin to e-mail Paul to see if he has any of the display board pictures.

  • Permission - LCC. Martin has e-mailed Andrew Sykes of Bookings and Licensing. He has replied with a few queries.
  • Risk Assessments - MC sent to Andrew at Events.
  • PRS Licence - Martin to apply for.
  • 50 tables and 100 chairs - From Heerevents, 100% certain of ability to supply!
  • 8 tables - From Rangers?
  • 2 toilets - From Convenience Hire, ordered.
  • 10 traffic cones and 30 road pins - Requested.
  • Display Boards - Already have on loan from LCC.
  • Grass Cutting and Fire Extinguishers - Manager at Potternewton Park, Julian Cook, to be informed. MC to liase, and also to borrow traffic cones.
  • Grants - Adrian has applied for North East funding and has a small grants application from Leeds City Council. Adrian is visiting the councillors on Saturday. Joan has been in contact with various councillors. Councillor Rececca Charlwood (Labour) couldn't help. Councillor Alex Sobel (Labour) has run out of MICE money and Councillor Christine Macniven (Labour) has agreed to discuss it at the next meeting on 1st May. Jenny is applying for a community grant with the Halifax. Floral Fund not looking good. Apparently any award is now given in vouchers for Red Hall.
  • Posters - 80xA4, design as per last year. To be printed at Smallprint.
  • Programme - No.
  • Flyers - Adam. 6000 needed to go into schools w/c 3rd June? To be printed at Smallprint, total cost £80. Distribution Schools, Chapel A, St Matthews, Immaculate Heart, Moor Allerton, Gledhow, Kerr Mackie, Bracken Edge Talbot and new Roundhay.
  • Guillotine - Phil, not needed.
  • Refreshments - Martin has e-mailed Amy at Tesco. Adrian to contact Co-op. Need as much home baking as possible so please encourage all our supporters.
  • Indie Ices - Invited by Adam. Confirmed.
  • Ice Cream Van - Invited by Mike. Confirmed.
  • Tents and Gazebos - 9x(9x3) large, 11x(3x3) pop up plus 2 new 6mx3m, Phil's Scout Tent. Need to check where they are stored. Steve and Jane, Carol, Adrian, Martin, Mervyn, Paul and Steve? New 6mx6m marquee is our main marquee.
  • P.A. System - Pete to hire.
  • St Johns Ambulance - No.
  • Red Cross - Booked by Carol, £80.
  • Daftasadrum - Offered to attend for free.
  • The Turnarounds - £50 via Martin.
  • Roundhay Ukulele Group - No fee.
  • Magician Jon - Confirmed, £140.
  • Circus Skills - Matthew Tiffany confirmed for 2 hours cost £125.
  • Accordion player - Not invited.
  • LCC Forestry?
  • Dale the Chainsaw Man - No.
  • Raffle - Adam, Yes. Suggestion to separate the raffle prizes from the merchandise.
  • Tombola - No.
  • Donna's Stall - Confirmed.
  • Hunt the Bear - Adam, Yes.
  • FGVW Display - Adam/Adrian Featuring Felling 2014-15.
  • Parachute Games - John/Jenny Farley - no. C.A. school providing parachute via T and D? Balls?
  • T-shirt Design - No.
  • Fire-fighters - Adrian invited. Confirmed
  • Police/PCSOs - Adrian invited. Confirmed
  • Talon Falconry Birds of Prey - Adam invited. Confirmed.
  • Beekeeper - David, Confirmed.
  • Sue Charlton Hedgehog Care - Not invited.
  • Keighley Hedgehog sanctuary - Not invited.
  • Tadpoles/Frogs - Martin, hopefully.
  • Start Birding - Linda, bird information, confirmed.
  • Lion Learners - Not invited.
  • Morley Exotic Animals - Confirmed, £300.
  • Bird Boxes - Mervyn, confirmed.
  • Plants Stall - Joan, Gladys and Margaret, confirmed.
  • Clay Modelling - Adrian, confirmed.
  • Bottle Stall - Naomi, No.
  • Tin Can Alley - Trevor and Diane confirmed. Adrian to supply bean bags.
  • Whack a Rat - ?
  • Bacon Baps - Matt from The Three Hulats?
  • Craft Puppets - Fiona.
  • Badges and Masks - Jenny.
  • About My Area - Confirmed. Tables in FGVW display tent?
  • Besom Making/Willow - No.
  • Face Painters - 2 confirmed.
  • Henna Artist - Not invited.
  • Tailwaggers Display Team Big - Not invited.
  • Turns/Timetable - Adrian/Naomi/Martin.
  • Radish - Invited by Adam, Confirmed.
  • Gledhow Allotments Association - Not invited.
  • Wishing Tree - Lynne, No.
  • Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group - Not invited.
  • Friends of Allerton Grange - Not invited.
  • Friends of Gipton Woods - Not invited.
  • REAP - Invited by Paul, Confirmed.
  • Moortown Community Group - Not invited.
  • Leeds Homeopaths - Not invited.
  • Straw Bales - With John and Jim's help? Need new supplier.
  • Woodchip Piles - Martin?
  • Entrance Banner - No.
  • Mayor and Councillors - To be invited by Mike.
  • About My Area - Agreed, as they provide the Group with publicity.
  • Setting Up - From 7am sharp please.
  • Road Traffic - 15 cones from Potternewton Park with 10 from LCC on AG Way.

7. AOB

  • Water Level of Lake
    Martin raised concern over the low level of the water in the lake. However, the levels have been checked and they are normal. Some of the bird nests are now out of the water so it could be due to more silt at one end of the lake.
  • Grants
    Skipton Building Society has opened their Grassroots Giving Scheme again this year. Carol to apply for a grant.
  • FGVW Merchandise
    Peter still has 4 packs of Christmas cards. Martin agreed to chase him up.
  • Brownie Talk
    Mike took a group of Brownies on a walk and talk in the woods. They are giving us a donation.
  • Equipment Loan
    The Group has agreed to loan REAP some fluorescent jackets for the "Tour de Roundhay" event.
  • Japanese Knotweed
    There is some knotweed in the woods that needs treating by the Council.
  • Tree Pruning
    The trees and copse needs pruning in the field to be used on the FunDay. One tree has already fallen down so Martin to contact the Council to ensure they are safe for the FunDay.
  • Bench
    The bench at the end of the lake still needs to be paid for.

8. Dates of Next Meetings

  • FunDay - Sat 14 Jun 2014
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 7 Jul 2014 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Jul 2014
  • Action Morning - Sun 24 Aug 2014
  • Action Morning - Sat 20 Sep 2014
  • Action Morning - Sun 19 Oct 2014
  • Action Morning - Sun 23 Nov 2014
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Dec 2014

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 23 May 2014. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)