All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th Nov 2014

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Diane & Trevor Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Carol Bull, Adrian Coltman, Jenny Page, Geoff Holden.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 13th October 2014
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Christmas Cards
  1. Christmas Markets
  2. Woodland Management Program
  3. Audrey's Meadow
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adam Bull, Mike Betteridge, Peter Foulston, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 13th October 2014

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • BTCV Work
    BTCV have completed 3 days' work in the woods on Audrey's Meadow.
  • Pond Water
    The pond now has some water in it.
  • Planning Application
    A decision on the planning application to build 14 houses in the woods was expected on 27th November however, the Group has heard of a possible deferment until December.

4. Correspondence

The Group has received some e-mails and Facebook comments regarding Leeds City Council's tree management programme.

The Group has also received a detailed letter outlining the benefits of introducing rabbits into the woods.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 19 October 2014
    Brilliant turn-out of 44 volunteers. It was lovely to see so many children enjoying an Action Morning, and 1,000 bulbs were planted.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 23 November 2014
    105 trees will be planted, kindly donated by the Woodlands Trust. Work will also take place in Audrey's meadow. Some dumped garden rubbish also needs removing. Volunteers please meet at the junction of Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Sunday 14 December 2014

6. FGVW Christmas Cards

The Group has received a new batch of Christmas cards and Diane and Joan have been very busy selling them to the public. Wendy has kindly given a generous discount to the Group as a donation which the Group is very grateful for. The "With Love" shop on Roundhay Road has taken 24 cards to try out.

7. Christmas Markets

The Group attended the Oakwood Farmers Market on Saturday 15th November and raised £161.

The Group is also attending the following events:

Saturday 29th November - St Matthews Church (Joan and Mervyn) Sunday 30th November - Three Hulats Farmers Market (Adrian, Martin) Saturday 6th December - Roundhay School Christmas Fair (Diane and others)

Martin and Adrian were also keen to do a pop-up stall in Chapel Allerton.

8. Woodland Management Program

Martin has received an e-mail from Justin Williamson (Leeds City Council Forestry Officer) concerning a few complaints from the public. Justin had offered to meet people to discuss the plans but no one had taken him up on this offer. He has also offered to do a walk in the woods and talk to the public about the plans. FGVW has e-mailed the Councillors to discuss the plans also. Discussions are continuing, however the Group was keen to stress that the woodland is on Council property and any work will be carried out by Leeds City Council and not FGVW.

This is a long term management plan for the woods to improve it for the future. The Group feel it is irresponsible not to do anything and work like this has happened in the past without detriment. The changes should lead to sustainability, improvement in wildlife and diversity.

9. Audrey's Meadow

Kevin from Potternewton Park assisted the Group using his tractor to help clear some tree stumps and logs in the meadow. He will also bring a special tool to help remove the roots. One of the ponds has been filled in with soil from the meadow. The Group were going to leave the ground free for a year and then plant wildflowers in March 2016. However, it was suggested that we plant some annuals for next season. The Group will get advice from Kay who consults on wildflowers and meadows. The Group also agreed to look into grants for wildflower seed.

10. AOB

  • Ash/Poplar Trees
    Geoff raised the problem of the Ash and Poplar trees getting too large and needing to be thinned. Also some of the Poplars look like they have been marked for felling. Martin agreed to contact the Council to find out what was happening as originally these trees were supposed to be thinned every ten years.
  • The Wall
    Trevor asked when the Group would be able to fix the wall. It was agreed that this should be done in the spring after the frost. Mervyn suggested using the stone to drop the wall down one level. It was also suggested that the path and steps needed repairing in that area and could be done at the same time.

The Chair would like it noted that Joan did not have any other business this month!

11. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 23 Nov 2014
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 8 Dec 2014 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Dec 2014

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 03 Dec 2014. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)