Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
8th Apr 2015

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam and Carol Bull, Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Diane & Trevor Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Jenny Page, Malcolm Robertson, Stephen Johns, Geoff Holden, Michael Betteridge, Mike Bateman, Peter Foulston, Paul Ellis, Stephen Tyndale-Biscoe.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th March 2015
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  1. Ranger Attendance/Stewardship
  2. Audrey's Meadow/Green Leeds
  3. FGVW FunDay 2015
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th March 2015

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Benches
    Averil would like benches putting in at the top of the garden in return for using her water and electricity for cleaning the Bath House. It is difficult to access so Martin and Mervyn will go and assess the situation.
  • Elaine Hill's Leaving Do
    Elaine Hill's leaving do was last night. The Group presented her with some photos of the work she had done with the Group and some FGVW souvenirs.
  • Park Ranger Day
    There was a volunteer Park Ranger Day on 1st April. Nigel from Woodhouse Ridge came. Volunteers plugged laurel to stop it re-growing. The Group has offered to help publicise these events in the future.
  • FGVW Cards
    Naomi has ordered some new FGVW cards: 500 spring cards and 500 autumn cards, plus 1,000 each of 2 designs of Christmas cards. Envelopes have kindly been donated to the Group on the proviso that we pack the cards ourselves.

4. Correspondence

Aviva has issued details of a new Community Fund initiative. The Group can apply for a £1,000 grant for a project. Carol asked for details of any projects that the Group may want to submit to apply for a grant - It was suggested to use the meadow. The application window closes on 24th April 2105.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 22 March 2015
    34 volunteers attended. Steve Joule the Park Ranger also attended. The Group were instructed by Steve not to perform certain tasks planned for the day so Martin agreed to talk to the Rangers afterwards to come up with a strategy for next time they attend. Joan was very annoyed as she had difficulty organising jobs for the volunteers and she didn't receive much support from other members of the Group. Martin to speak to Jenny to state that it wasn't always very helpful to have the Rangers attending. Hilda's wood was cleared on the day.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Saturday 18 April 2015
    The proposal is to do some path work near the lodge above the lake at Ridgeway. Heaps of debris also to be removed and there is some digging to do in Audrey's Meadow. Timber and stone will be ordered. The Group will set up on the street corner.

6. Ranger Attendance/Stewardship

The Group discussed the Stewardship scheme with Emma Trickett a couple of years ago. It was rejected awaiting further information and it didn't look like there would be any benefit to the Group. Responsibility would just switch form the Council to the Group. Martin discussed this with Woodhouse Ridge as they have a Stewardship arrangement already. It costs them an extra £200 per year for insurance. The Group agreed that more information was still necessary especially how it would be split between the Council, Wade Trust and Housing & Leisure. On paper it looks like the Group will take on a lot of new obligations with no benefits. Martin agreed to talk to Jenny Rodgers.

7. Audrey's Meadow/Green Leeds

The Green Leeds panel sits on 21st April 2015. Our application has gone in so we will find out the results later this month. Last month the Council rotivated the meadow and we are going to get it sprayed to deter growth so we can spread the seeds and put plug plants in. We have two areas that were rotivated earlier. David Blackwell will continue to spray the second area but the first area will be planted up 3 weeks after spraying if we get the grant.

8. FGVW FunDay 2015

Stephen Johns is arranging the FunDay this year.

  • Application - Leeds City Council have a few additional questions. They have suggested updating the risk assessments to cover all events at the FunDay. A couple of the stalls have not been picked up. They have suggested we may need a temporary events licence but we have not had to do this previously.
  • Community Groups - No.
  • Toilets - Stephen has got a quote.
  • Chairs and Tables - Stephen has got a quote.
  • Morley Exotic Animal Rescue - Has been booked.
  • Face Painters - 2 face painters have been booked (with a possible back-up).
  • Beekeepers - Have been booked.
  • Birdwatching - Have been booked.
  • Radish - Has confirmed.
  • Parachute Game - Parachute ordered from Chapel Allerton.
  • Talon Falconry - Are 95% sure they can come.
  • REAP - Paul to chase REAP for a response. He will set a deadline for the end of April otherwise we will assume they are not coming.
  • Bands - Ukulele band, Corpus Christie band and Alwoodley Choir have confirmed.
  • Magician - Martin to chase the Magician for a response.
  • Ice Cream Van - Ice Cream van booked.
  • Indie Ices - Indie ices hoping to come.
  • Mayor/Councillors/MPs - Four Councillors have confirmed attendance.
  • Police and Fire Officers - Adrian to contact.
  • British Red Cross - Red Cross to confirm if they can attend or not by the end of the week.
  • North East Homes - Adrian to contact.
  • About My Area/Hook a Duck - About my Area is disappointed that it can not attend.
  • PA System - PA system to be provided by Peter.
  • Posters/Flyers - Leaflets and poster may be able to be printed by Steve's work for free. Adam to e-mail last year's leaflet to update, then produce finished versions for printing. Proposed flyers to promote next few Action Mornings
  • Refreshments - Needed.
  • Plants - Yes.
  • Birdboxes - Yes.
  • Daftasadrum - Daftasadrum confirmed.
  • Tombola - Tombola drum ordered from St Matthew's.
  • Tin Can Alley - Diane to organise. Naomi has got some prizes for the games
  • Rangers - Daniel hasn't replied. Ex-ranger Elaine will be doing a wildlife stall.
  • Raffle - Claire has started to contact businesses for prizes.
  • Willow Craft - Peter to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adrian has all the information on the Group and the slides and photos.
  • FGVW Merchandise Stall - Adam to organise.
  • Hunt the Bear Lollipop Game - Adam to organise.
  • Circus Skills - Steve to check with Martin.
  • Three Hulats - Will be supporting and helping at the event.
  • Chippings - Martin to arrange chippings.

The Group need to finalise everything for May.

9. AOB

  • Pavement Issues
    Martin to e-mail the Councillors on the path work where a gully has been put in to stop the area flooding.
  • Grass Verge Issues
    Mike reported that the grass verge has been churned up and cars are getting stuck. It will need to be reported to Highways.
  • Holes in the Meadow
    Mike stated that "Martin's Meadow" can't be walked on as it is full of holes with grass covering them. He asked if we could cut a path through as in previous years.
  • Brackenwoods Fly-tipping
    Geoff fed back to the Group that he was getting nowhere with clearing the Brackenwoods area. He has e-mailed the Councillors but no received no response or commitment. Lincombe Drive end is still having household rubbish dumped there. Peter suggested serving a litter abatement notice on the Council. We need to collect evidence and send photos to serve the notice.
  • Free Pot Plant Plant Pots!
    Joan told the Group that some PCSOs had called to see if the Group wanted any plant pots they have taken from a cannabis raid. This is part of the Proceeds of Crime initiative. The article and photos will be used in the police magazine.
  • Building Work Concerns
    Mervyn and Geoff expressed concerns over the safety of some local building work. Builders have expanded Brackenwood Close and dug away behind the house. It is being held back but it looks unstable and dangerous.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sat 18 Apr 2015

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 04 May 2015. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)