All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
20th May 2015

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adam and Carol Bull, Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Diane & Trevor Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Jenny Page, Malcolm Robertson, Stephen Johns, Geoff Holden, Mike Bateman, Peter Dennis, Stephen Tyndale-Biscoe, Claire Standage, Michael Betteridge.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th April 2015
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Cards
  1. Ranger Attendance/Stewardship
  2. Audrey's Meadow/Green Leeds
  3. Aviva Community Fund
  4. FGVW FunDay 2015
  5. AOB
  6. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Paul Ellis, Peter Foulston.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th April 2015

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Benches
    Averil would like benches putting in at the top of the garden in return for using her water and electricity for cleaning the Bath House. It is difficult to access so Martin and Mervyn assessed the situation and have decided to order some lighter benches. These will arrive at the beginning of June and will be put in at a convenient time.
  • Pavement Gully
    A gully stretches across the pavement in an area that has been flooding. Martin is arranging to meet with Councillor Ully to discuss the issue.
  • Fly Tipping
    There is an ongoing issue with fly tipping in the Brackenwoods area. Someone is emptying black bin liners of household rubbish into the woods. A team from the Housing Department came out to see what the problem was. Some of the flat easy to access area has been cleared but not the hilly area. It is getting problematic and one of the members is going to issue a litter abatement order on the Council. There was some concern that the situation will get worse when the Council change the frequency of emptying bins to fortnightly. There has also been another article in the local Press stating how Councillors are helping with litter clearing!

4. Correspondence

Received in relation to the fly tipping problem, as above.

5. Action Mornings

  • Saturday 18 April 2015
    Work started on the path near the lodge above the lake at Ridgeway.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 30 May 2015
    The proposal is to continue with the path work near the lodge above the lake at Ridgeway and use up the remainder of the stone. Some of the woodwork may need to be done before the Action Morning. It is also planned to plant the area in "Martin's Meadow" that needs raking - the plants have already arrived. Volunteers to meet where Gledhow Valley Road meets Gledhow Lane.

6. FGVW Cards

Naomi ordered some new FGVW cards and they have arrived. There is a selection of Christmas cards and greetings cards that have been packed by Diane and Trevor. Naomi to obtain an invoice so that the Group can calculate the prices. They can be sold at the FunDay. Adam agreed to store the cards. It was agreed that, as usual, some packs would be given to the photographer as a thank you for allowing the Group to use the photographs.

7. Ranger Attendance/Stewardship

The Group discussed the Stewardship scheme with Emma Trickett a couple of years ago. It was rejected pending further information and it didn't look like there would be any benefit to the Group. Certain responsibilities would just switch form the Council to the Group. Martin and Mervyn are going to do a walkabout with Dan and Justin from the Council to discuss the work that will need doing next year and will also discuss the Stewardship with them and what we will need to do. It will be put on the agenda to discuss after the FunDay.

8. Audrey's Meadow/Green Leeds

The Group applied for a Green Leeds grant but it has been put on hold. They will consider giving us half the money if the Group can match it as well as obtaining more letters of support from the Community. Adrian to ask for support at the FunDay and Adam to e-mail members. The meadow has been sprayed and if we want to plant it later in the year we will need a grant. The meadow will be sprayed a couple more times before then. It may also need rotivating. The Group will re-apply for the grant at the end of June when it has (hopefully) received more support.

9. Aviva Community Fund

Voting is open until the end of May. Anyone can vote up to 10 times for different groups or the same one. Everyone was encouraged to get people to vote for FGVW. Dennis suggested flyers and had done considerable work on how the voting was going. Adam to send out another e-mail to members to encourage them to vote.

10. FGVW FunDay 2015

Stephen Johns is arranging the FunDay this year.

Martin said that the Parks & Countryside Department will deliver various items next week and we will need the metal stakes, 8 tables and traffic cones.

Steve will e-mail everyone to re-confirm details.

  • Application - Leeds City Council.
  • Community Groups - No.
  • Toilets - Booked.
  • Chairs and Tables - Booked.
  • Morley Exotic Animal Rescue - Has been booked.
  • Face Painters - 2 face painters have been booked (with a possible back-up).
  • Beekeepers - Have been booked.
  • Birdwatching - Have been booked.
  • Radish - Has confirmed.
  • Parachute Game - Parachute ordered from Chapel Allerton. Balls required from Paul.
  • Talon Falconry - Have been booked.
  • REAP - Not coming.
  • Bands - Ukulele band, Corpus Christie Brass Band and Alwoodley Community Choir have confirmed.
  • Magician - Martin to chase the Magician for a response.
  • Ice Cream Van - Ice Cream van booked.
  • Indie Ices - Unable to come.
  • Mayor/Councillors/MP - Four Councillors have confirmed attendance.
  • Police and Fire Officers - Confirmed.
  • British Red Cross - Unable to come. Steve has found another volunteer group who can attend as both the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance are already booked up.
  • North East Homes - Martin to ask Adrian.
  • About My Area/Hook a Duck - Fran from About my Area is disappointed that she can not attend.
  • PA System - PA system to be provided by Peter.
  • Posters/Flyers - Leaflets and posters have been printed. These were handed out to members during the meeting to distribute to schools and businesses. Diane and Claire volunteered to put posters up in Chapel Allerton. Martin to provide flyers to promote next few Action Mornings
  • Refreshments - Needed. Martin agreed to buy some refreshments and drinks for the end of the day. He also agreed to buy ice pops and drinks.
  • Plants - Yes.
  • Birdboxes - Yes.
  • Daftasadrum - Confirmed.
  • Tombola - Tombola drum ordered from St Matthew's. Malcolm has checked all the numbers and they are now all the same colour so no cheating.
  • Tin Can Alley - Diane to organise. Naomi has got some prizes for the games. Bean bags are required from Adrian.
  • Rangers - Unable to attend.
  • Raffle - Claire has started to collect prizes.
  • Willow Craft - Peter to organise.
  • FGVW Display - Adrian has all the information on the Group and the slides and photos.
  • FGVW Merchandise Stall - Adam to organise.
  • Hunt the Bear Lollipop Game - Adam to organise.
  • Circus Skills - Steve to check with Martin.
  • Three Hulats - will be supporting and helping at the event.
  • Chippings - Martin and Mervyn to discuss with Justin when they meet up.
  • Donna's Stall - Agreed.
  • A-Frame - Supplied by Martin.
  • Signs - Joan to look for the signs which we use to label the tents.
  • Pallet of Water - From Adrian if possible.

The Group discussed which stalls were going where on the plan and how many tents were needed and where they were stored. Martin to pick up the large tent on Friday.

Adam to e-mail a request for volunteers, with the jobs that they might want to do.

Martin to ask Debbie how many volunteers she needs for the refreshment tent.

The Group had a discussion over the use of tokens in paying for games to try and prevent money being stolen like last year. It was decided to make sure everyone removed any notes and to think about this again next year.

11. AOB

  • Wildlife Sightings
    The female swan has been seen nesting. A woodpecker has also been seen nesting near the lake. Someone thought a barbed warbler had been spotted but Martin thought this very unlikely.
  • Joan Has Nothing to Report
    Joan had nothing to report!

12. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 31 May 2015

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 09 Jun 2015. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)