< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
28th Sep 2015
Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Trevor & Dianne Kitto, Jenny Page, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Geoff Holden, Steve Jones-Blackett, Adam Bowler, Phil Meadley , Adrian Coltman.
1. Apologies for Absence
Mike Betteridge, Malcolm Robertson, Adam & Carol Bull.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 24th Aug 2015
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- The field maples referred to by Mike Betteridge have been removed and the healthy one remains.
- The leaning willow trunk near the Bath House was removed by tree surgeon Jim Mudd before the Heritage Open Weekend.
- A grant has been received for £120 to put a grill on the Bath House Inner Door. It was agreed to go ahead with the work.
An e-mail was received from Jane Dowson regarding site allocation plans.
5. Action Mornings
- Saturday 30 August 2015
There were 20 volunteers who prepared Audrey's Meadow for rotivating in readiness for planting in October. The meadow was then rotivated in September by Martin, Stephen and Mervyn in 4 hours one morning. Thanks to John Brennan for the loan of his rotivator.
Future Action Mornings
Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):
- Sunday 4 October 2015
Calvert proposed to seed Audrey's Meadow on Saturday 3rd October (prior to the Action Morning) from 9.30am and asked for volunteers to assist. £600 spent on seed, courtesy of the Aviva grant. The seed is MG9 seed mix, yellow rattle seed and cornfield annuals seed.
On the Sunday, 4,200 wild flower plugs to be planted. Around 12 scouts with helpers will be attending to assist.
On Monday 5th October, children from Gledhow School will be coming to plant another 1,400 plugs.
- Sunday 1 November 2015
The main activity will be cutting the Meadow at the end of the lake. Meet at the end of the lake on Gledhow Valley Road.
6. Audrey's Meadow
The money for the meadow work currently underway has been provided by Green Leeds, Awards 4 All and Aviva.
7. Gledhow School Planting Session
Children from Gledhow School will be planting 1,400 plugs on Monday 5th October. Diane agreed to make her famous buns. Martin Calvert, Kay, Pete Foulston and Diane & Trevor Kitto to attend.
8. FGVW Christmas Card Sale Opportunities
A stall at Roundhay School Christmas Fair has been booked on Saturday 5 December. The Group has not yet heard about Oakwood Farmers Market, which is on Saturday 21 November. There is also a Three Hulats Farmers Market on Sunday 29 November. Steve Jones-Blackett will sell our cards at the Gledhow School Fair.
9. Planning Application Appeal
Adrian and Steve fronted our stall at Chapel Allerton Festival on 5th September, along with Stephen Johns, Paul Ellis, Joan & Mervyn Clayton and Diane & Trevor Kitto. We met lots of people, and around 142 forms were filled in objecting to plans to build on the fields.
The Site Allocations Plan has been revised. Commenting on the plan is quite complicated, so Joan will ask Christine Osborne to give us bullet points explaining how to go about it as simply as possible. We can then encourage people to comment on the new plan as the designation for the land on Gledhow Valley Road has been changed.
10. Sing for St Gemma's and Gledhow Valley Woods
An event has kindly been organised by Adam Bowler to help raise money for St Gemma's Hospice and FGVW. It will take place at 7pm on Saturday 10th October at the New Highwood. Tickets are available from Adam Bowler.
- Ranger Dave Blackham has sprayed the knotweed and Bamboo. He is leaving Leeds City Council (LCC) to join English Nature. A sad loss for LCC.
- The Group discussed the possibility of planting reed beds in the silting up lake.
- The Group noted that black bags with cannabis plant remains keep appearing in the woods.
- Geoff has had success at last regarding rubbish in the woods. After speaking to Jonh Woolmer, the area has now all been cleaned up, more black bins are provided on the estate, letters have been sent to residents and a promise has been made to follow up.
12. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 4 Oct 2015
- Core Group Meeting - Mon 26 Oct 2015 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 1 Nov 2015
- Core Group Meeting - Mon 30 Nov 2015 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 6 Dec 2015