All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
4th January 2016

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Steve Jones-Blackett, Adam Bowler, Geoff Holden.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 12th Dec 2015
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Merchandise/Three Hulat's Farmers Market
  2. Site Allocations Plan/Planning Application
  3. FGVW FunDay 2016
  4. AOB
  5. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adam Bull, Mike Betteridge, Malcolm Robertson, Phil Meadley.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 12th Dec 2015

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Adam Bull is currently updating the leaflets so that more can be printed.
  • Steve Jones-Blackett is going to look into creating a reed bed.
  • The Tesco grant application had to be in by 11th December so unfortunately we didn't have time to apply.
  • The broken handrail will be fixed at a later date.

4. Correspondence


5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 13 December 2015
    There were 21 volunteers and 10 scouts. Martin and Mervyn finished using the remaining stone a week later in time for Christmas. Trevor put down chicken wire on the path to prevent slipping.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 10 January 2016
    2 tons of stone will be delivered in 2 places so that the path can be repaired. There will also be litter picking and tidying up some rhododendrons and trees that have fallen down. The Group also need to look at the path that the Council did as there is a large hole in it. It was taped off as dangerous but this tape has been removed. The Group will assess if it can be repaired or if we need to contact the Council. It needs to be temporarily repaired with wood and stone or have more permanent gabions put in but this will need a full Action Morning. There are also two holes near the jetty that need filling with some hardcore. Volunteers to meet opposite the "Horses' Field" but further up where the path goes into the Bracken Woods estate.

Provisional Action Morning dates for 2016:

  • Saturday 13 February 2016
  • Sunday 13 March 2016
  • Sunday 3 April 2016
  • Sunday 8 May 2016

6. FGVW Merchandise/Three Hulat's Farmers Market

Joan and Mervyn attended the Three Hulat's Farmers Market on 20th December 2015. They only took £4 in the first few hours as there was no one around, but it picked up later on and they took an excellent £100.60 overall. There are very few 2105 Christmas Cards left now.

The Group discussed the Christmas cards they would like to buy this year. It was proposed to look into printing some cards landscape rather than square and having text inside the card (based on customer feedback). This will depend on the image we use and if it looks good as landscape. Joan has spoken to Tina about using some of her photos. Getting 330 packs worth of cards printed was considered a good idea as we were able to more or less sell out this year, so there are no cards to carry over. We need to get some printed before the FunDay if possible and definitely by the time we open the Bath House. Joan agreed to contact Tina regarding the use of photos. Steve suggested a Twitter competition to get more choice of photos.

The Group then discussed other merchandise. Greeting cards are going steadily but we are not pushing them. We have very few coasters left now. Steve suggested using Tina's pictures for large prints in frames. He also mentioned an online shop on the website. Joan suggested two new cards using Tina's photos. The Group felt it would be nice to get something new. Naomi and Joan to get the photos together and send around the Group.


The 29th January 2016 was originally proposed but some people cannot make it and Martin has been unable to contact the Treasurer. Martin will liaise with Paul and arrange another date.

8. Site Allocations Plan/Planning Application

Steve updated the Group on developments with the planning application. A site inspection was carried out on 23rd November 2015 but so far we have not heard any further news. Steve has e-mailed the Planning Officer but as not yet had a response.

9. FGVW FunDay 2016

Steven Johns has agreed to run the FunDay again this year. The date proposed is Saturday 18th June 2016. Please can everyone start thinking about what they would like to do.

9. AOB

  • Adam Bowler is arranging a James Bond themed night at Gledhow Sports & Social Club, more details to follow.
  • Geoff has had a lot of success with getting large amounts of litter and tipping cleared by the Council near Bracken Wood Drive. The latest item to be dumped there was a large amount of polystyrene.
  • Joan did not have any other business!
  • Trevor wanted to pass on his thanks to the people who re-built the wall.
  • Steve pointed out that the website showed dates for 2015. However Adam had already added a 2016 section prior to the meeting.
  • Diane wanted to say well done to all the card sellers.
  • Carol has completed a due diligence report on the work done on the meadow for Aviva in return for their grant. Martin confirmed that all the funding for the meadow as all been spent so we will see what happens. It looks like the plugs are growing already.

10. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Jan 2016
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 8 Jan 2016 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 13 Feb 2016
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Mar 2016
  • Action Morning - Sun 3 Apr 2016
  • Action Morning - Sun 8 May 2016

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 13 Jan 2016. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)