< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Core Group Meeting
7th March 2016
Present: Joan Clayton (Acting Chair), Mervyn Clayton, Adam & Carol Bull, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Jenny Page, Adam Bowler, Steve Jones-Blackett, Phil Meadley
1. Apologies for Absence
Martin Calvert, Malcolm Robertson. Adrian Coltman, Stephen Johns, Paul Ellis, Mike Betteridge.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 8th Feb 2016
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- The Council gave a local resident permission to dump rubble by the beck. Yorkshire Water has objected to this and has brought a digger in to clear the beck again.
- Bhupinder is hopefully going to attend a Core Group meeting soon to discuss the idea of a North Leeds Greenway. Gledhow Valley Conservation Group is also interested in attending.
- We have a new Park Ranger, Joe Walker, who will attend the next Action Morning.
- Joan has tried to get in contact with Nicky Nunns several times by phone and e-mail regarding possible litter/dog poo notices and will keep trying.
The Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group AGM will be held on Thursday 24th March at 7.30pm at Gledhow Sports & Social Club. All are invited to attend.
5. Action Mornings
- Saturday 13 February 2016
23 volunteers attended. A lot of repair work was done on the paths at the far end of the valley. The steps were also repaired. A lot of litter was collected including over 20 full dog poo bags! The Group discussed if more bins were needed.
Future Action Mornings
Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):
- Sunday 13 March 2016
Mrs Hudds steps are in need of repair. The Group already has the wood and poles needed. There is lots of post mix and digging needed to put the new handrail in. Also volunteers from JCI Leeds Volunteer Groups (age 18-40, young professionals) are hoping to attend. The path needs topping up near the steps. 2 ton of top-up stone will be required. Some of the brambles need to be taken out too. Adrian offered to take a group of volunteers to do some of the brambles if there are enough volunteers. There will also be some litter picking to do.
Provisional Action Morning dates for 2016:
- Sunday 3 April 2016
- Sunday 8 May 2016
6. FGVW AGM
The AGM will take place at 7.30pm on Friday 11th March at The Three Hulats. Food will be provided. The AGM will be to receive annual reports and to elect officers. There have been no new nominations for positions of Chair, Treasurer and Secretary so far. All are welcome - please let the Chair know if you would like to attend.
7. Community Woodland and PAWS (Plantation & Ancient Woodland) Restoration Events
The Group has been sent a flyer from the Ancient Woodland Restoration and Woodland Trust. Following on from the tree felling discussions in November last year John Williamson at Leeds City Council is interested in talking to members of the local community. Two events have been proposed on Wednesday 27th April. One is a daytime event from 9.30am to 4.30pm and the other is an evening event from 6pm until 8.30pm.
The Group fed back to the Trust stating they thought the event was too long and not everyone could get to an all-day mid-week event. The Group thought a smaller event would be more accessible to a larger number of the community. The response was that the event can't be changed at this point and will take place on 27th April. Details will be made available to anyone who would like to attend.
8. FGVW Christmas Cards
Diane brought some examples of photos that made it to the final selection round. Naomi has e-mailed the digital versions to Steve. It was suggested that we picked two designs. Steve will provide some quotes for the cards and the designs are to be circulated and voted on at the FGVW AGM.
9. FGVW FunDay 2016
- Steven Johns has agreed to run the FunDay again this year. The date agreed is Saturday 18th June 2016. Steve has started the process to get permission from Leeds City Council. They have responded and Steve is putting together a response for them.
- The Council has requested a copy of the insurance certificate.
- TCV - Steve is waiting to hear back from them.
- Morley Exotic Animals are available.
- Beat the Goalie was suggested by Adam Bowler.
- AboutMyArea has agreed to attend.
- Martin has been in touch with the Bands in the Park representative. A band will be playing on the field the week after the FunDay. Martin suggested they come and play at our event instead but the request was declined and the Group told it was too late to re-arrange. Last year no one was aware of the Bands in the Park event and very few attended so the Group were disappointed this request has been turned down.
- Steve is hoping to make some progress on the reed beds at a later date. He has been working on the planning.
- Anton Du Beke has announced on the radio that there is some lottery funding available via a website. The Group is going to investigate and see if it fits into a category the Group can apply for. The deadline is later this week so Joan will let Martin know.
- Trevor asked the Group if a request could be made to put 30mph speed signs up on Gledhow Valley Road.
- The bamboo needs attention as it is now spreading out of control across the path. The Council to be notified as it should have been sprayed.
- Adam Bowler distributed leaflets about a Wrestling event on Saturday 2nd April at Harehills Working Men's Club at 7.30pm. Tickets £9.
- A homeless man has set up a camp and is living in the woods.
11. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 13 Mar 2016
- Core Group Meeting - Mon 28 Mar 2016 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 3 Apr 2016
- Action Morning - Sun 8 May 2016