Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th October 2016

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Steve Jones-Blackett, Steve Tyndale-Biscoe, Malcolm Robertson, David Miles, Jenny Page.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 21st September 2016
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. Charitable Status
  1. Lake Action Group
  2. Christmas Fairs
  3. Woodland Trust Grant
  4. Aviva Community Fund
  5. AOB
  6. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Phil Meadley, Michael Betteridge, Melissa Ozcan.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 21st September 2016

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Fungus Foray - one will be held next year.
  • Rubbish/Debris taken from the lake - this has been removed from the end of the lake by the council.
  • Fencing - Costings for the fence will need to be provided if we approach the Wades Trust for a grant. Mervyn has already got some of the details.
  • Risk Assessments - following the EGM these will need to be changed. Paul and Joan to discuss.
  • Oakwood Craft Fair - this was the first event of its kind and FGVW had a stall that went very well. Adrian and Martin covered the first half and Joan and Mervyn the second half of the session. Over £148 was raised.
  • Daffodils - Joan and Mervyn have picked up 500 bulbs ready for the Group to plant at the next Action Morning.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 25 September 2016
    There were 32 volunteers. More work was carried out on the new field. Dorothy's Steps and the steps opposite the Horse's Field were finished. Plenty of litter was picked up and the rubbish bags were collected straight away. There is some stone and sand left.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 23 October 2016
    It was proposed to cut the meadow in the bottom field at the end of the lake. Audrey's Meadow is still in flower and it was proposed to leave the new field alone this year. There are some stinging nettles to remove, bulb planting and litter picking to do. Also some of the holes could be filled with the left over sand if there are enough volunteers. Volunteers to meet at the end of the lake.
  • Sunday 20 November 2016
  • Sunday 11 December 2016

6. Charitable Status

The FGVW Group achieved charitable status this week. There is lots of reading material for the trustees to get through as the Group now officially operate for the benefit of the public. A report needs to be done each year on how the Group meet their charitable objectives. The three trustees will be in place as an interim measure until the next AGM in January/February. Martin thanked Steve Johns for the work he did on gaining us charitable status.

7. Lake Action Group

A working group has been set up to investigate and propose solutions for the lake issues. David provided an update as the working group held their first meeting last week. They looked at the Terms of Reference for the Group and agreed to bring it to the next meeting to check everyone was happy with the proposals. A site meeting has been set up with Justin Williamson at the Council at 9am on 26th October. A meeting has also been set up with Pippa Chapman a Professor of Geography at Leeds University to discuss and advice the group on water management.

The lake is now at its correct level and at equilibrium following the removal of debris and blockages. There is no quick fix solution for the lake. It will take time to develop and may require several different solutions. One idea put forward is to introduce reed beds. The Group need a strategy and then they will look into funding. The Council has made it clear that there are no funds for dredging.

Steve raised the issue of the cygnets and that previously the parents have driven them out of the lake when old enough and they have been killed on the road. He suggested contacting a local swan rescue centre to see if the young swans could be moved to avoid this happening again.

Joan has been looking at getting the drains cleared. Originally they were supposed to be cleared every 8 months unless in a "wet spot" where they would be done more regularly. This has now been extended to every 18 months. Joan agreed to chase up Ehinomen Oyakhilomen at the end of the month if the drains had not been cleared. Steve agreed to do a map to show where the drains are.

David has got some kits from the Freshwater Habitats Trust to test the lake water and use the results as a baseline.

The working group has also informed the local councillors of what they are doing.

David was concerned that we do not have a proper history of the lake. Joan has some information and agreed to pull together what she could find.

The working group will also contact Yorkshire Water to see how they fit in. Mervyn has been in contact with them but is struggling to get any useful information.

Recently there has been lots of communication amongst local groups regarding some crayfish in the lake. It was found that a local breeder had allowed some crayfish to escape into the lake rather than it being an invasive species living in the lake. Following research the Group do not expect these to survive as they don't cope well in polluted waters. It was acknowledged that networking and communication over this issue worked extremely well between local Groups and local community.

8. Christmas Fairs

Joan provided a list of the fairs where FGVW can have a stall to sell merchandise and promote the work of the Group.

  • Oakwood Lights Switch-On Christmas Fair
    Saturday 12 November 2016, 12.00pm-7.00pm.
  • Oakwood Farmers Market
    Saturday 19 November 2016 9.00am-12.30pm
  • St Matthew's Christmas Fair
    Saturday 26 November 2016 2.00pm-4.30pm. Jenny and Steve volunteered.
  • Three Hulats' Christmas Market
    Sunday 27 November 2016 9.00am-1.00pm. Martin and Adrian volunteers.

Last year the Group had a pop-up tent in Chapel Allerton so may do this again.

9. Woodland Trust Grant

Following the wood management meetings earlier in the year Martin applied for a £10,000 grant from the Woodland Trust. This has been rejected so the Group has submitted a revised plan. Justin will mark up some of the trees in the woods that are diseased and dangerous. It will be good to see some woodland management action following the talks however, the Group agreed that this needed to managed carefully and the local community needed to be involved and informed what was happening and why.

10. Aviva Community Fund

The Group has submitted an application for a £1,000 grant to the Aviva Community Fund. The application has been accepted and on 21st October voting will open so that the public can vote on the projects they want grants to go to. Carol to let everyone know when the voting is open so everyone can spread the word and encourage people to vote. If successful the money will go towards building a fence and hedgerows around the new field.

11. AOB

  • Mervyn has a contact who can price up the fencing we will need for the new field. This will be a price for material only and not labour. This can be used to compare with other quotes.
  • Steve Tyndale-Biscoe asked about extending Audrey's Field near the landing stage as there is one area that is covered in nettles. Martin suggested removing the nettles and putting some seed down.
  • Joan raised the issue of brambles encroaching in the area. Martin suggested an Action Morning to clear the area at the top of the slope in winter. There are also raspberry canes at the top of the meadow.
  • Joan raised the problem of the Himalayan Balsam coming back at the sides of the old car park and also growing in the silt in the middle island. This needs bashing!
  • Joan gave out some packs of Christmas cards to members of the Group to sell at £3.50.
  • Joan asked if Wades Trust owned the lake as it is on their land. The Group were unsure as they did not think the ownership included bodies of water but Phil and Dave to check.
  • Adam asked if anyone would like to take over FGVW merchandising. Steve Jones-Blackett offered to take over and Adam and Steve to discuss tomorrow.
  • Mervyn has been in contact with Vicki Nunns regarding extending the fence at the Bath House to stop people getting over the roof. He has heard nothing further.
  • David asked about the state of the footpath on the left hand side of Gledhow Valley Road. This has been an issue for the Group for many years. Council representatives were shown the path a few years ago and they stated that there was no path. The Council has abandoned it so there is nothing that can be done.

12. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 23 October 2016
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 14 November 2016 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 20 November 2016
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 5 December 2016 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 11 December 2016
  • FGVW FunDay - Saturday 17 June 2017 (provisional)

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 12 Oct 2016. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)