Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Core Group Meeting
17th April 2017

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull, Mervyn & Joan Clayton, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Steve Jones-Blackett, David Miles, Geoff Holden, Steve Johns, Malcolm Robertson, Steve Tyndale-Biscoe, Phil Meadley, Jenny Beagle, Jenny Page, Naomi Watts-Kitto.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th March 2017
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. The Core/Steering Group
  1. The New Field
  2. Lake Action Group (LAG)
  3. General Meeting Report
  4. FunDay 2017
  5. AOB
  6. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Paul Ellis.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th March 2017

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • There were two events on 18th March at Oakwood Farmers Market. There was a good display from Jenny on the new community field and there was a good sale of bird boxes. The events both generated lots of interest in the Group.
  • There was a meeting to discuss the Chapel Allerton Open Gardens event. This is progressing OK. The map has been completed and press and social media advertising has started. It will be donations for garden entry plus fund raising at each garden.
  • Steve JB and Naomi have investigated imagery for Christmas cards and merchandising. Steve brought some examples to show to the Group There were 4 images for selection but the Group weren't very impressed with them. Steve suggested an alternative of having the woods drawn and using that so he said he would speak to Wendy. There were also some images for normal cards which the Group liked. Steve will get back to the Group with other ideas and costings for the cards. He also brought some examples of other merchandise and costs. He suggested that cotton bags may be the best idea and in keeping with Group objectives. He also suggested using wood from the woods to create table centre pieces and insect hotels. This would rely on Mervyn though unless he can get people trained up. It was suggested that volunteers at Action Mornings could help put the pieces together and use materials available in the woods… A "take the valley home with you" idea.
  • It is Oakwood Day on 13th May 12-7pm so it was suggested that people could be trained there to make bird boxes and take some of the burden away form Mervyn. Everyone to come forward for ideas on what to make with the wood.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Saturday 11 March 2017
    We had 31 volunteers and worked in the new field. The back fence was put in with a team from the Three Hulats pub. The stick piles have been left as there are birds nesting in them. The path was also extended.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 23 April 2017
    Work will consist of path repair, putting down weed killer, plus edging and step repair. Chicken wire is needed on some of the decking. Volunteers to meet opposite the new field.
  • Sunday 14 May 2017

6. The Core/Steering Group

The FGVW Trustee meeting is tomorrow. The Core Group is to be renamed the Steering Group. We need to be clear that it is the Trustees who are running the charity so the website will be refreshed to explain this, referencing the charity, the trustees, the work of the Steering Group and the Lake Action Group, etc. Adam is awaiting the wording from the Trustees to change the website. Paul sent in a Terms of Reference for the Steering Group for everyone to look at.

7. The New Field

  • Tesco have been to see the field to given us some publicity with their Bags for Help campaign.
  • We may get Habitat Management to put some new hedgerow in the front if we have enough funding.
  • The Group will take Ian's advice on fruit trees.
  • The initial field work is nearly finished, although there is the top wire to go on and some tidying.
  • There is the potential to advertise an open day in the field. Kay will discuss this with the public at the FunDay and provide photos, etc.
  • We need to provide the public with information on why we bought the field and that this was to prevent housing being built on the land rather than for using the field for a specific purpose.
  • Steve is arranging for a banner and Mervyn will measure how big it needs to be to thank Legacy Habitat Management.

8. Lake Action Group (LAG)

David presented an update on their work so far. They have had conversations with the Gledhow Conservation Area Group who have maps of the areas including one from 1751 that shows the lake. There are also a number of fund raising opportunities and they discussed priorities near the lake area. The Heritage Lottery Fund provides grants up to £5m. They are holding a series of open days in May and June as they haven't had much take-up in the area. They are keen to encourage Groups and David will be meeting them on 12th May.

The Group has also been in contact with Yorkshire Water as they promised to do some surveys on the lake and to see what improvements can be made. Steve Mann will fund some of the work. They have also made contact with the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and River Aire Trust. They have received a grant from Wades Trust to do a proper study that can be used to apply for larger grants.

LAG provided an additional report to cover funding:

  • Esh Communities: £1,000 requested, declined.
  • Waitrose: Successful bid for £260.
  • Yorkshire and Clydesdale Bank Foundation: £2,950 requested. We will hear by 31-May-2017.
  • Carriers for Causes: £1,000 requested, to be submitted this week.
  • Post Code Local Trust: £2,950 requested. We are through to the next round.
  • Co-op Community Grant and Safer Communities Fund: Funding round opens 05-May-2017.
  • Safer Communities: Funding opens 24-Apr-2017.
  • Tesco: £2-4k possible. Voting in stores March/April 2017.
  • ASDA rolling programme: submitted 28-Feb-2017.
  • LCC Green Leeds: Waiting for funding to open.
  • Greggs Community Grants: £2,000 requested, decision by 18-Aug-2017.
  • Leeds Civic Trust: Landmark Grant: Applications considered 3 times a year in Feb, May and Oct.
  • Leeds Civic Trust: Leeds Project Fund: Applications considered 3 times a year in Feb, May and Oct.
  • Mars in the Community: decision by mid May.

9. General Meeting Report

The Trustees were unanimously voted in. The average volunteers for Sunday was 31 for last year, which is the highest ever. The accounts were accepted on the night but there was a discrepancy over the costs for bird boxes. Paul is looking into it.

10. FunDay 2017

The FunDay is booked for Saturday 17th June 2017. Steve Johns has continued with organising the event.

  • Michael has suggested an alternative ice cream provider which was agreed.
  • We are still waiting to hear about the Birds of Prey as they has been a change in ownership.
  • Joan will pass on the Allotment contact to Steve.
  • Adam to e-mail Steve Johns last year's poster.
  • Flyers will be given out at half term at the end of May.
  • Diane to organise the parachute with the school.
  • Naomi and her friend are arranging for face painters.
  • At the last meeting Steve mentioned a gas heater for water that he hoped to borrow from the scouts. He has checked the risk with the Council who are comfortable with this. Craig Norfolk said it would not be a Health and Safety issue. Martin to check that Debbie and Jane would be happy to use it.
  • Martin to ask Adrian if we can have any water from Yorkshire Water.
  • PCSOs coming.
  • Martin to agree some future Action Mornings to publicise.
  • A Jo Cox community lunch is being organised on the same day as the FunDay.
  • Jenny is building a wheel of fortune and doing Splat the Rat.
  • The Group want to promote the work on the lake and the community field and pass on information to the public. David to speak to Kay about the display. We also want to get quotes from the public about what they think to use in grant applications.

11. AOB

  • David passed round a leaflet advertising the Gledhow Valley Conservation Group AGM:
    "Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group invite you to their AGM with a free welcome drink on Thursday 27th April 2017 at 7.30pm at Gledhow Sports & Social Club, Gledhow Lane, LS8 1NQ. Come along to hear about conservation in Gledhow and why not join the GVCAG committee?"
  • Jenny P passed round a leaflet promoting a public meeting:
    "Chapel Allerton War Memorial Project Thursday 27th April 6-7pm, Chapel Allerton Methodist Centre, LS7 4NB. The Chapel Allerton Ward Councillors - Cllr Jane Dowson, Cllr Mohammed Rafique and Cllr Eileen Taylor - have been approached by members of the community interested in a project to rejuvenate the Chapel Allerton War Memorial. The aim is to bring together a project group of interested people to discuss how the memorial can be restored as a focal point for remembrance activity and a fitting tribute to the sacrifice of servicemen and women. If you have an interest in the war memorial, or just wish to get involved and contribute to a local project, please join us and help us to get things started.
  • Jenny B has knitted some excellent Santa Hats and Christmas Puddings to put chocolates in for fund raising.
  • Martin will do a bird song walk for a small group on Saturday or Sunday from 9am.
  • Diane had received a gift voucher from Lucy Craske for the FunDay raffle.
  • The Group has received £180 from the Roundhay Councillors for litter pickers, gloves and Hi-Vis jackets.
  • It is Oakwood Day on 13th May 12-7pm. Mervyn will train people how to make bird boxes.
  • The cardboard gazebo boxes have fallen apart. Steve J to look into getting some canvas bags.

12. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 23 April 2017
  • Core Group Meeting - Mon 8 May 2017 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 May 2017
  • Chapel Allerton Open Gardens Event - Sun 11 June 2017
  • FGVW FunDay - Sat 17 June 2017

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 02 May 2017. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)