Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
9th October 2017

Present: Adrian Coltman (Chair), Adam & Carol Bull, Mervyn Clayton, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Geoff Holden, Jenny Page, Mike Betteridge, Steve Tyndale-Biscoe, David Miles.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 31st July 2017
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. BUPA Work Party
  7. Urban Buzz
  8. Lake Action Group (LAG)
  1. FGVW at Chapel Allerton Arts Festival
  2. Bath House Open Day
  3. FGVW Field
  4. Leeds City Council Ranger
  5. Trustees Report
  6. AOB
  7. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 31st July 2017

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

None.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 6 August 2017
    A second gun was found on the August Action morning. The Bath House was cleaned and work started on the new meadow opposite the Bath House. Twenty six volunteers came to the Action morning. A repair was made to the bridge by the Bath House after it was damaged by a LCC mower.
  • Saturday 16 September 2017
    Cancelled.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 15 October 2017
    The rest of "Audrey's Meadow" will be cut at the next Action Morning on October 15th. Volunteers to meet at the jetty by the lake.
  • Sunday 19 November 2017
    "Martin's Meadow" will be cut. Volunteers to meet in the meadow at the end of the lake on Gledhow Valley Road.
  • Sunday 10 December 2017

6. BUPA Work Party

BUPA came on Thursday 5th October for a Team Building morning. They only came for the morning and there were about 10 of them, but they enjoyed themselves scything "Audrey's Meadow" and clearing a path. They cut about one third to half of the meadow. Pete Foulston did a scything demonstration, Kay McDowell helped clear away the cuttings and Martin Calvert arranged it all and showed the BUPA people how to clear the path.

We now have 5 scythes.

Steve Jones-Blackett said there was a broken banister rail at one of the steps.

7. Urban Buzz

Kay McDowell and Bhupinder Dev introduced the group to "Leeds Urban Buzz", a Buglife project which is funded by Biffa Award, Heritage Lottery Fund and Leeds City Council. Bhupinder said the project would support the "North Leeds Greenway", a cycle superhighway linking Gledhow Valley, Roundhay, Allerton Grange Fields and Allerton Grange Avenue, which has lots of funding from West Yorkshire Combined Authority.

A suggestion was made about having a wetland area opposite "Martin's Meadow" in the damp area on the site of the old beck. Also, fruit trees could be planted near Allerton Grange Way. Diane said we could have fruit trees planted in the new field.

Bhupinder mentioned a new park near Street Lane called "Moortown Park" which will have a wet area.

Pete Foulston said we need a map to plan these areas. Pete Foulston also mentioned the "Rivers of Flowers" project.

Kay McDowell asked about "Chapel Allerton in Bloom". Jenny Page said she had a contact called Sarah Turner.

We need to tweet what's going on and to spread the Urban Buzz idea.

Martin suggested Kay could start a couple of projects with Urban Buzz and then get Andrew Cutts (Leeds Urban Buzz co-ordinator) to talk about these projects at a Steering Group Meeting.

Members of LAG went to a workshop in May about lottery funding in Yorkshire and Humberside to help us to put in successful applications.

LAG has been in contact with Yorkshire Water regarding the water quality of the lake. They have produced a survey and there is only pollutant species in there at present. They also identified some rare species in the meadow.

LAG is still working with the Groundwork Trust Leeds to get information which will support future funding applications.

The group has also had some conversations with Christine Osborne of the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group and is going to go to Leeds University library to do some research. Part of the Postcode Lottery money will be used on a display showing the history of the lake. The information currently missing, and which is holding things up, is how much silt is in the lake and what pollutants are in the silt? The group has had a conversation with Leeds City Council about how to determine this.

8. Lake Action Group (LAG)

Phil Meadley said LAG is still waiting for a silt survey to be carried out by Duffy's. We may need to get it done by Geotech Services (Leeds City Council) as we've been waiting a long time and the information is crucial to our plans. He said we're working towards a plan, which we'll have by the New Year.

Martin said we need permissions from Leeds City Council/Wades Charity to say that we can go ahead with this project.

9. FGVW at Chapel Allerton Arts Festival

FGVW had a stall on Saturday and Sunday 2nd/3rd September 2017. The stall was in a good position near the hairdresser's and included Jenny's War Memorial stand. We made a good amount of money - around £450.00.

10. Bath House Open Day

About 140 people attended this event on 10th September 2017.

11. FGVW Field

Steve Jones-Blackett has amended the hedge species list to include Kay's requests, including hornbeam and buckthorn.

Kay said the meadow really needs cutting. A suggestion about using the Allen Scythe was mentioned.

Martin said yellow rattle seed had been ordered for the meadow.

12. Leeds City Council Ranger

The new Ranger was to be Clare Pager, but she has now replaced Joe the Ranger as he's now at Natural England. Another Ranger will be put in place. Clare will be running a Bat Walk next June.

13. Trustees Report

There are 31 paid members now. We need to keep a tag on what grants are being bid for.

14. AOB

  • Martin said the PAWS bid had a shortfall of £1200 which could be spent on planting the new meadow opposite the Bath House. He also said we could have "Balsam Bashing" on July Action Mornings.
  • The bin opposite Gledhow Park Drive is always overflowing. Martin has put a new bag in. This bin hasn't been emptied again when other bins have been emptied.
  • Steve Jones-Blackett said there would not be an Open Gardens event next year and also that there will be some tree felling by the Woodland Trust.
  • Diane mentioned the knitted Ferrero Rocher Christmas pudding covers that her cousin has been making. They are selling well and the Group suggested she ought to ask for the cost of the materials.
  • Bhupinder mentioned the Stewardship idea regarding the Council's responsibilities, which Allerton Grange Fields now have.
  • Joan said Teresa saw some young lads throwing fireworks who threatened to throw them at her dog.
  • Joan also mentioned that some of the benches are collapsing and rotting, including the Philip Snaithe bench. Mervyn said he would have a look. He could possibly dig out the rotten bits and replace it with woodcrete or wood filler.
  • Mervyn said we need a substantial, sturdy gazebo for events, one with weights on the legs. It would cost about £150 - £250.
  • Mervyn thinks we need a new metal drop-leaf trailer to transport the Allen Scythe to the new field.
  • Mervyn mentioned the sewage was still being pumped out from the Brackenwoods due to cross connections, and also raw sewage is coming from the damaged King Lane CSO, which has been going on for 3 years. He said work will start on this CSO next month.
  • Malcolm asked when we need to vote on projects at local supermarkets. Carol knows about the Aviva grant.
  • Kay said we could plant an oak tree which was donated by a member of the public earlier this year in the hedge of the new field.

15. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 15 Oct 2017
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 13 Nov 2017 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 19 Nov 2017
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 04 Dec 2017 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Dec 2017

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 27 Oct 2017. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)