Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
13th November 2017

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Malcolm Robertson, Phil Meadley, Steve Jones-Blackett, Steve Tyndale-Biscoe, Jenny Page, Kay Woodward, Geoff Holden, David Miles, Liz Brightwell.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th October 2017
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Field
  7. Trustees Report
  1. PAWS Work
  2. Aviva Community Fund Voting
  3. Christmas Fairs
  4. Co-Op Community Fund
  5. Lake Action Group (LAG)
  6. AOB
  7. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Paul Ellis, Naomi Watts-Kitto.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 9th October 2017

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • The Group has 4 scythes and Paul has one that we can borrow.
  • Some yellow rattle seed has been ordered.
  • Some of the benches are starting to decay. Mervyn has taken a look at then and thinks that they are repairable if we put new wooden tops on them.
  • Mervyn suggested the Group buy a more substantial gazebo, which the Group agreed to. Steve offered to store it.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 15 October 2017
    There were 34 volunteers. Scything and raking took place in "Audrey's Meadow". Mervyn led a party to work on the banks of the stream and Kay and her team worked on cutting back brambles.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 19 November 2017
    Work will continue to finish off work in the field. Some work also needs to be done in the meadow at the end of the lake and there is more tree work to do. We will need wheelbarrows to move the grass and scythes and rakes will also be needed. Trevor offered to fix some of the rakes.
  • Sunday 10 December 2017

6. FGVW Field

The Group tried to use the Allen Scythe in the field but it wasn't a success so we got a contractor in who was recommended by Urban Buzz. Martin agreed to sort out the invoice and payment. Lessons were learnt this year so next time the Group know to rake the field as soon as its cut, and also it needs to be planned better so it can be done in September. A small group worked in "Audrey's Meadow" with the Allan Scythe today.

Hedging is planned for December/January time. Martin will agree the dates on when this can be done.

The knotweed wasn't sprayed again, for the second time, so it will be done again in the Spring free of charge.

There was a discussion concerning the state of the hawthorn at the top of the field. It doesn't cut very well as it is old. The Group are keen not to kill the hawthorn and it was suggested just cutting back one of two. Kay suggested that we leave it as it is and it doesn't have to be tidy. Joan mentioned that some of the hawthorn near Allerton Grange Way had died.

Dave mentioned that we should hear about the funding for the information board to go in the field later this week.

7. Trustees Report

The Trustees met last week. The financial balances are looking healthy and Paul is working on splitting the money out so it is ring-fenced for specific projects. The Treasurer's policy is to have an operational reserve which includes an amount which could pay off any outstanding obligations in the event that the Group disbands. There is enough funds in case of a FunDay cancellation.

Currently paid membership is 31.

The Trustees contacted the owner of the adjoining field to ask if he wanted to sell the field. The answer was a definite no.

There was also a discussion regarding the Lake Action Group.

8. PAWS Work

20 trees will be felled in December based on the PAWS work. Notices have been put in the woods explaining why the work is being done and so far there have been very few comments.

9. Aviva Community Fund Voting

Adam sent round the link and information on how to vote in the FGVW Update e-mail. Everyone has 10 vote each. Voting closes at 12 noon on 21st November. The Group currently has 568 votes so everyone was asked to vote and encourage others to do so. More publicity is required on social media.

10. Christmas Fairs

The Group will be at Oakwood Farmers Market on Saturday 18th November from 9am to 12.30pm. Trevor and Mervyn have built some bug hotels and there are also some bird houses to sell with the rest of the merchandise. Jenny offered to get some cinnamon tea lights for the holders in the run up to Christmas. Joan is looking for volunteers to cover an early and late shift.

The Group also intend to do a pop-up stall in Chapel Allerton in December and also ask the Three Hulats if we can have a pop-up in their car park one weekend.

11. Co-Op Community Fund

The application was put in by the Lake Action Group. The funding is up to £13,000 split between 3 charities and FGVW is one of the three. It runs from January to 27 October 2018. Every time a Co-op member shops at the Co-op, 1% of what they spend on selected own brand products and services goes to the Co-op Local Community Fund (it also includes 5p plastic bag sales). It is recommended that members of the Group become Co-op members if they are not already. It was also agreed that all 3 groups should get together to boost funds as the money is split equally between all 3.

12. Lake Action Group (LAG)

David gave a very detailed explanation of the work that the LAG have been doing. He also shared a lot of reports and plans with the Group including:

  • A draft of the Sediment Trap Enhancement work proposed by Groundwork.
  • A draft plan of Gledhow Valley and the lake area by Groundwork including proposals concerning timber weirs, reed beds, erosion control, directional signage, wildflower meadows, footpath improvement, interpretation boards, debris dams and marginal planting.
  • A preliminary Ecological Appraisal and Macroinvertebrate Survey Report on Gledhow Lake by Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

David presented on:

  • 14 agencies contacted for information and assistance.
  • The 5 stages we are working through with the Groundwork Trust on scoping, information gathering, developing a funding plan, detailed design work and procurement and finally delivery. The Group is currently on stage one.
  • Information on silt traps.
  • Funding.
  • Engagement with stakeholders.
  • Proposed next steps.

David completed his presentation by asking for feedback form the Group.

Martin thanked the LAG for the huge amount of time and effort that they had put into the project. The Group were very impressed with the amount of work and the professionalism shown by the LAG and were keen to show their appreciation.

There were concerns raised over the group handling such large amounts of funding and working on such a large project with contractors especially regarding liability and insurance etc. David confirmed that the project will be managed by Leeds City Council and Wades Trust who own the land.

Martin also asked for a mission statement and objectives as to what we want to achieve and why we are doing this, to share with others. The LAG agreed that this could be completed quite quickly based on the amount of knowledge and information they now have. LAG agreed to comment on a vision statement already drafted and bring it back to the Group for comments and agreement.

The Group also had a discussion on the plans from Groundwork on the silt traps and the alternatives to wood. The group has already got applied for and got permission from Leeds City Council for the silt traps.

Geoff asked about the work already being done at the end of the lake. This is the Flood Risk Management Team clearing the overflow by removing silt. The piles of silt will be left to dry out and then removed.

Geoff also asked for ideas on how he can engage the Brakenwoods community in helping with the woods.

Martin fed in the comments from Naomi, as Trustee, in her absence. She suggested completing some small measures that could be done in the lake area while the much larger project is agreed and funded. LAG agreed that micro projects could be done once we have agreed the bigger picture so that we don't do work only for it to be undone at a later date.

13. AOB

  • Adrian reminded annual paid members about renewing their membership.
  • Joan asked if we had applied for some crocus bulbs. Martin confirmed he had and that we can pick them up from Morley in December.
  • If anyone of the Group needs any Christmas cards please contact Joan.
  • Jenny has done a lot of work in encouraging other volunteers and tidying up the cemetery and war memorial in Chapel Allerton. On Remembrance Sunday 55 people turn up for a lovely service attended by local churches (with the exception of St Matthews) aided by 2 young boys who did some readings. There was also the Last Post. 3 Councillors also turned up with a wreath. Local resident, Brian, has done a lot of research and information cards have been placed on each of the war memorial graves. There is also information on those who died during World War II.
  • Some of the bins in the woods are overflowing. The Group continue to report it.
  • Joan reminded everyone to make sure their tetanus injections are up to date if working in the woods.
  • Yorkshire Water will be working on the CSO on Harrogate Road soon and putting up a barrier in the hope that vehicles will not crash into it again.
  • Kay has been contacted by a resident in Chapeltown who has a 2 metres square of meadow turf that is no longer needed. He would like to donate it to the Group. The Group agreed to collect it and perhaps put it at the end of the lake in December/January.
  • A large group of people were spotted in the woods and it was thought they were collecting leaves for a woodcraft project. (Not an issue, just mentioning it).
  • It was suggested a noticeboard should be put up in the woods explaining what the FGVW do as there is some confusion when talking to the public over our responsibilities and those of the Council.
  • It was reported that a tree that had fallen and blocked the path has now been removed but there is also a tree leaning against another.
  • Diane reported that a group of women were in the woods collecting water from the beck in the dark. (Not an issue, just mentioning it).
  • John will be coming to the woods next Thursday to clear some of the trees near the bath house. It was also suggested that the railings be moved further away from the building at the right-hand side. The Group has observed how easy it is for people to get up onto the railings and into the bath house.

14. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 19 Nov 2017
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 04 Dec 2017 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Dec 2017

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 27 Nov 2017. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)