Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
4th December 2017

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Adam & Carol Bull, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Steve Jones-Blackett, Steve Tyndale-Biscoe, Kay Woodward, Geoff Holden, David Miles, Paul Newton.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 13th November 2017
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. FGVW Field
  7. Trustees Report
  1. PAWS Work
  2. Christmas Fairs
  3. FGVW Stalls at Oakwood and Chapel Allerton
  4. Co-Op and Aviva Community Funds
  5. Lake Action Group (LAG)
  6. AOB
  7. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Trevor & Diane Kitto, Malcolm Robertson, Paul Ellis, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Jenny Page.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 13th November 2017

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • Mervyn has looked at the possibility of buying a new gazebo next year and they are priced from £200 to £300.
  • The Group agreed to check the benches and look at repairing some of them.
  • The Allen Scythe has been fitted with a new blade and works much better now.
  • Martin has had difficulty getting in contact with the person doing the hedgerow. He will try his secretary again.
  • Annual Paid FGVW Members need to renew their membership before the end of February as the AGM is expected to take place in April.
  • Some trees have been cleared near to the Bath House. A suggestion was made to look at removing some of the trees along the stream next year.

4. Correspondence

  • Gill Boulton, a local artist, is doing an Art Advent Calendar and leaving a piece of art in the woods each day for people to find and take home. The Group thought it was a wonderful idea. It has caught the attention of local Councillor Jane Dowson who loves the idea and got in touch to ask to repeat it at Easter. The Group had no objections to this as it is on Council owned land.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 19 November 2017
    There were 30 volunteers. "Audrey's Meadow" was cleared and "Martin's Meadow" was also cut. Some trees near the lake were cut and there was a lot of litter picking.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 10 December 2017
    Volunteers to meet at the Bath House. Some of the decking in the area needs replacing and an area of beech trees needs thinning. There is also some soil to spread on the meadow and 500 crocus bulbs to plant. Some work is also being carried out in the woods by contractors so there may be some tidying up to do when they have finished.
  • Sunday 14 January 2018
  • Sunday 25 February 2018
  • Saturday 24 March 2018
  • Sunday 29 April 2018
  • Sunday 29 May 2018

6. FGVW Field

3 volunteers went into the field and removed the remainder of the cuttings during the week. The Group now have 4 meadows to cut each year and it has become a large job so we may need to think about whether we do this ourselves or get some contractors in next year. Kay agreed to speak to Urban Buzz to see what the best way was for collecting the grass afterwards, but making sure the seed spread. Kay and Steve JB are also attending the Allotment AGM so can bring the subject up there too. It was also suggested that the Thank You banner be replaced by an information board on the field.

7. Trustees Report

None.

8. PAWS Work

5 trees have been pollarded or felled today. The wood is being deliberately left there as brash fencing. It is intended to clear some of the beech and extend the area near the lake, a project that was started 10-15 years ago. The area will be replanted with different species. £6,700 has been used of the £10,000 grant received so far. Notices have been put up in the woods to explain what is happening.

Duffys has also been working in the woods to re-do the path that was damaged when they removed some of the silt from the lake.

9. Christmas Fairs

Joan reported that the Christmas Fairs had done very well and raised around £500. £98 was raised at The Three Hulats despite there being very few customers. The Group also sold a large amount of Ferro Rocher Christmas Puddings kindly knitted by Diane's cousin.

10. FGVW Stalls at Oakwood and Chapel Allerton

The Group will be selling merchandise at the Craft Fair at Oakwood on Saturday 9th December, 11am-5pm. Jenny has volunteered to start the stall off with Mervyn and Joan attending later. Martin and Adrian will also do a pop-up stall at Chapel Allerton on Saturday between 10am and 12 noon.

The Group would like some more leaflets for events. Adam agreed to e-mail Steve JB the template again.

11. Co-Op and Aviva Community Funds

FGVW is one of the three charities to have been chosen this year for the local Co-Op Community Fund. It runs from January 2017 to 27 October 2018. There was some confusion amongst the Group as to how it worked. David has agreed to meet with the Co-Op Manager to discuss how to maximise our potential. Members may need to log on and select which charity they want to support when they buy Co-Op branded goods and carrier bags.

The Group did not secure enough votes to win £1,000 from the Aviva Community Fund. However, the Group will still receive £300 (£200 plus an additional £100 due to the systems problems experienced by Aviva at the start of the campaign).

12. Lake Action Group (LAG)

The LAG met last week to finalise the Mission Statement as an action from the last FGVW meeting. David shared it with the Group to collect any feedback. He also re-circulated the Groundworks proposal for further comments. It would be useful to put these documents on the website and also to discuss with the community at the Oakwood Markets and with the Allotment Association.

Once agreed in principal, Groundworks will do a more detailed plan and then it will go for public consultation.

LAG is waiting for the hydrologist's report which they expect before Christmas.

13. AOB

  • David has been discussing the woods with a landscape architect. She is very enthusiastic and would like to come and talk to the Group at one of the meetings to discuss gateways to the woods and to re-fresh the management plan for the woods. The Group agreed to invite her to a meeting next year.
  • Geoff asked if the Group were going to have a Christmas gathering this year. Martin agreed to look at some dates for a get-together at The Three Hulats for drinks and nibbles.
  • There was a picture of the beech trees and the woods in the Yorkshire Post on Saturday.
  • Joan expressed concern over the bamboo spreading in the woods.
  • Kay recently visited Chatsworth House were they had made reindeers out of wood. She thought it might be something for the Group to consider doing. She also has an oak tree in a pot that needs planting in the woods.
  • We have a new Ranger called Louise who visited the woods last week. She is hoping to come to the next Action Morning.

14. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Dec 2017
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 8 Jan 2018 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 14 Jan 2018
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 19 Feb 2018 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 25 Feb 2018
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 19 Mar 2018 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sat 24 Mar 2018
  • Steering Group Meeting - Mon 23 Apr 2018 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 29 Apr 2018
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 17 May 2018 (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 20 May 2018

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 08 Dec 2017. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)